A Song of Ice and Fire (5 Viewers)

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
  • Thread Starter #125
    She said "I expect more from Tywin". My point is that she shouldn't. He's always been that way.
    Yeah, you're right. I still love him though. He was my favourite asshole in that whole series. I will miss him. :sad:

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    Yes she does, Targaryens are primarily patriarchal, but not entirely. Rhaenyra was the rightful heir to Viserys I, until his second wife had a son. So while boys take precedence, girls can be heirs.
    @Kate
    Wait, when you said this, I checked and I thought she actually reigned at some point. Yeah, before AegonII, she was the only heir to Viserys, but who knows if she would've ruled?

When the Lord Commander was explaining about Aemon's past to Jon: "and Daeron's girl was a lackwit besides being female, so they had no choice but to turn to Aemon's younger brother-Aegon..."

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    @Kate
    Wait, when you said this, I checked and I thought she actually reigned at some point. Yeah, before AegonII, she was the only heir to Viserys, but who knows if she would've ruled?

When the Lord Commander was explaining about Aemon's past to Jon: "and Daeron's girl was a lackwit besides being female, so they had no choice but to turn to Aemon's younger brother-Aegon..."
    I never said she reigned, but she was indeed the rightful heir until a son appeared. In that example, I think it's also because she lacks the capability, he implies that she could have been a choice had she been strong.

Most of all, though, I think the fact that Robert was so keen to have both Viserys and Daenerys murdered says a lot. They also kill both of Rhaegar's children, the daughter as well, though were not instructed to kill their mother, so if daughters didn't matter then I don't think they would have killed Rhaenys as well, but who knows.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    I never said she reigned, but she was indeed the rightful heir until a son appeared. In that example, I think it's also because she lacks the capability, he implies that she could have been a choice had she been strong.

Most of all, though, I think the fact that Robert was so keen to have both Viserys and Daenerys murdered says a lot. They also kill both of Rhaegar's children, the daughter as well, though were not instructed to kill their mother, so if daughters didn't matter then I don't think they would have killed Rhaenys as well, but who knows.
    Yeah, I know you didn't say that, just thought I read it that way the first time.

I do agree that it seems she could've inherited the throne. I guess the family that's in power will do whatever they have to, especially a family like the Targaryens - if there's no male heir, they've still got to keep it in the family somehow.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    Yeah, I know you didn't say that, just thought I read it that way the first time.

I do agree that it seems she could've inherited the throne. I guess the family that's in power will do whatever they have to, especially a family like the Targaryens - if there's no male heir, they've still got to keep it in the family somehow.
    Exactly. And it makes for a better story ;)

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    I'm about to finish watching the first part Steel and Snow of Book 3. I'm still undecided if I'll read the second part Blood and Gold before I have watched the series. I don't think I can wait though.

Urgh.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for something to read while waiting. The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It's fucking awesome. :tup:

Jul 10, 2006
    I'm halfway through A Dance With Dragons so I will be diving into this thread with a fuck ton of comments and questions. lol

- - - Updated - - -

At the part where Tyrion and Penny are being auctioned off as slaves.

Jul 10, 2006
    So Theon was brought up in the GoT show thread.... I wanted to say that Theon's chapters (Reek) are some of my favorite moments of the later books. IDK how, but GRRM made me actually feel sympathy for that piece of shit. Something only the Bolton's could have pulled off.

Jul 10, 2006
    They really fucked up how Theon is supposed to look now that he is fully engulfed in being "Reek."

Also, was Jamie back in Kings Landing when Joffery died? I don't remember him being there, I thought he showed up afterwards, but it's been a while since i read that book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)