A Question of Morality (3 Viewers)

Is it okay to torture newborn babies?

• Yes

• No

• I Eat Babies

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
You do realize that the fellow steps on his one feet by saying that values are something that must be learned? According to the theory of objective morality these values would be passed down from god, which means that from birth people are morally sound yet we know that isn't the case.
Thats the thing, that we arent, but supposedly there is this truth anyway, but we cant now it. SO whats the point of the objective morality if we cannot know what it is?

OP
rounder
Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #109
    Have you read that article? The objective moral standard this guy is proposing is something very different than the one JR is talking about.

I bet he typed in "atheism objective morality" on Google and randomly selected a link.

EDIT: it's the fifth link
    His argument is not the same as mine ofcourse but..

"First, it is important to understand that the skeptic answer can be seen as simply absurd and hypocrite. Most atheists would not accept subjectivist answers in any other area (except perhaps some nihilists), especially things like science. We rightly blame many Christians for holding Creationist positions on faith and subjective appreciation, because their position is not based on reality. But we must put the same blame on the shoulders of the subjectivist position in morality. To argue that morality is not knowledge and that therefore any belief or whim is acceptable, is not any more acceptable than saying that biology is not knowledge and that Creationist is true by default.

One may claim that in the absence of a possible objective morality, we must fall back on subjectivism. But that is unacceptable: in the absence of objective evidence for a proposition, we must remain silent. We must go to the extent that a rational evaluation of the evidence will take us, and no further. To do otherwise is to indulge in fantasy, which can be very good in art but a detriment in philosophy as well as in our daily experience."

I agree with this part and it suffices to favor my argument.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Thats the thing, that we arent, but supposedly there is this truth anyway, but we cant now it. SO whats the point of the objective morality if we cannot know what it is?
    Like I said it's purely faith based. Basically it takes independent thought and totally gives all the credit to God. Which is pretty hard to believe, even from a religious standpoint, considering the story of Adam and Eve.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Like I said it's purely faith based. Basically it takes independent thought and totally gives all the credit to God. Which is pretty hard to believe, even from a religious standpoint, considering the story of Adam and Eve.
    THIS is GOLD, Aaron.

I completely forgot about all this. We are banned from paradise because we wanted to know the difference between right and wrong. Yet my right can be JR's wrong.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #113
    So atheists aren't capable of thought?
    If they were, you just proved otherwise.

It's about power. Believers want to have the power to say what's right and what's wrong. JR wants to be able to condemn our actions.
    Yes, because nothing would give me more satisfaction in my life.

It serves us greatly and like I mentioned we are gradually revealing objective moral truths. Is it really farfetched to say that in 200 years we will have much more absolute truths than we do now? I insinuate that we are aprroximate an objective moral standard graduall through time.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Which in itself would contradict god wouldnt it? Freewill anyone?

Ok im off to training, see ya later :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    If they were, you just proved otherwise.

Yes, because nothing would give me more satisfaction in my life.

It serves us greatly and like I mentioned we are gradually revealing objective moral truths. Is it really farfetched to say that in 200 years we will have much more absolute truths than we do now? I insinuate that we are aprroximate an objective moral standard graduall through time.
    And then the Antichrist will reign the Earth for a thousand years.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #116
    THIS is GOLD, Aaron.

I completely forgot about all this. We are banned from paradise because we wanted to know the difference between right and wrong. Yet my right can be JR's wrong.

You don't honestly think the story of Adam and Eve should be taken literally do you? You do understand that it serves as a moral lesson and not as an actual event in history yes?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    His argument is not the same as mine ofcourse but..

"First, it is important to understand that the skeptic answer can be seen as simply absurd and hypocrite. Most atheists would not accept subjectivist answers in any other area (except perhaps some nihilists), especially things like science. We rightly blame many Christians for holding Creationist positions on faith and subjective appreciation, because their position is not based on reality. But we must put the same blame on the shoulders of the subjectivist position in morality. To argue that morality is not knowledge and that therefore any belief or whim is acceptable, is not any more acceptable than saying that biology is not knowledge and that Creationist is true by default.

One may claim that in the absence of a possible objective morality, we must fall back on subjectivism. But that is unacceptable: in the absence of objective evidence for a proposition, we must remain silent. We must go to the extent that a rational evaluation of the evidence will take us, and no further. To do otherwise is to indulge in fantasy, which can be very good in art but a detriment in philosophy as well as in our daily experience."

I agree with this part and it suffices to favor my argument.
    It just says that you can't prove moral objectivism and that morality is knowledge, just like Biology. Both of which are true, neither of which state that morality comes from god.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #120
    You can independatly realize this can you not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)