A moral dilemma - what would you do? (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Amsterdam, Netherlands - A moral dilemma has been torturing Ugur Yildirim for weeks now, but it will soon be over. The SC Heerenveen football player has to decide on Friday whether he will join the Orange forces of Marco van Basten or the Honourable Turks of Ersun Yanal. Which national team is it going to be? It's not an easy decision.

The question of a life-time entered his life this season as the midfield player (right winger) has had a ravaging season in both the Dutch Eredivisie and the UEFAcup with his team SC Heerenveen. The national coaches of both Holland and Turkey have rung him up several weeks ago; offering him a position in the national teams of both nations. Meanwhile, the media in both countries have gone mad after Yildirim won the prestigious free-kick tournament in early January and was crowned the world's best free kick taker ahead of players such as Zinedine Zidane.

"The decision has two sides", explains the Dutch Turk (or Turkish Dutchman), who was born and raised in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands but who carries two passports as his parents are Turkish, "My heart tells me to choose Turkey. I believe you should feel something in your gut the minute you stand in that line-up and the national anthem starts to play, and I feel that way about Turkey."

Ugur Yildirim elaborates on a press conference on his remarkable and difficult decision.

"But I'm also Dutch. I'm grateful to the Netherlands, where I grew up. The playing style of the Dutch national team also suits my own style much better and Marco van Basten has promised me a very fair chance."

"I can never win. If I choose Turkey; the Dutch will look at me as yet another example of a foreigner who failed to integrate but if I choose Holland; the Turks will see me as a traitor."

"This is the hardest decision of my life. But I promised to make my decision on Friday and I will. I'll let you know."

Source: www.vi.nl
Additional articles: Yildirim world's best free kick taker

--------

Complicated situation this :undecide: What would you do? Are any of you in a situation where they possess a double nationality??

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 19, 2003
I'd say play for the place he calls home and don't give a rat's a$$ about what the Turks and the Dutch will think of him. He was born and raised in Holland, so I'd think he feels it's morehis home...maybe. It is not easy though.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
he should choose turkish national team.cuz he will have more chance to play and prove himself..while in the dutch national team he will not have that chance..

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    Actually, he probably will. He's a right winger and that's a position that is not at all well occupied in Holland at the moment. We got Robben on the left, on the rigth we currently have Kuijt who is more of a striker anyway. Other options are Van der Meyde (he's at Inter, nuff said) and Overmars (retired and won't come back).

He could well shine if he chooses Holland.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    as he said himself, he was raised in Holland. If he is who he is today, it's (partly) thanks to Holland.

It would be a nice way of thanking Holland.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Ok will the dutch in this forum see him as a foriegner that failed to integerate? and the turks over here will see him as a traitor??

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #13
    No. I would suggest hm to follow his gut feeling/instincts. That's what I always do myself.

May 30, 2004
    fuk that he has 2 passports one turkish and one dutch.... but his parent grand parent and whtever family he has are all turkish ... definitely go with turkey... its not about money or which team needs him more..... i would choose playing for egypt over italy.. if i had 2 passports that is ... it would be hard but i cant not represent my real roots in his case turkey .. even his name says it go with turkey.... the only way he shuld go for holland if turkey doesnt giv him a chance to play they reject him off the first team.. like wht happened to camoranesi that is acceptable .. newy its his choice.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #15
    Camoranesi's case is different though. Yildirim actually IS Dutch, he wouldn't have to be naturalised.

May 30, 2004
    that doesnt matter erik.... his roots are turkish he is turkish hes just living in holland and has a book that says he dutch tooo...his 2nd passport... its understandable for some players but turkey is a good side...they do well most of the time... and play good matches...he should stick with his origins

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #18
    He didn't do that; the media did.

Modo - See that's the point. He was born in Holland and, from my point of view, that makes him perfectly Dutch. It's a matter of opinion.

May 30, 2004
    actually it is a matter of opinion and i do respect yours.... whatever he chooses... i wish him good luck.... the thing is he is worrying about being smacked by the other country which will happen whether he likes it or not...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)