A moral dilemma - what would you do? (1 Viewer)

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #83
    ++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
    It certainly tells you something though doesnt it, everyone in the world thinks France were the best at Euro2000, despite the fact there football bored ITALIANS, myself included.
    Well they didn't bore me - they just annoyed me... :D

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    Well, they did both to me! Which is why, I loved Japan/Korea 2002 and Euro2004. France showed the world what they are, FLOPS!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    It certainly tells you something though doesnt it, everyone in the world thinks France were the best at Euro2000, despite the fact there football bored ITALIANS, myself included.
    :dielaugh:

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #89
    Today I read a column on the subject by a writer I quite like cause he's often on the same level as I am. I'll translate:

YILDIRIM'S CHOICE IS ABOVE ALL VERY BRAVE

It cost hit many nights of sleep, Ugur Yildirim. Born and raised in Apeldoorn, but with Turkish roots, and thus in the possession of two passports. He had an invitation of both Holland and Turkey on his nightstand, but whom to choose? Not easy, because choosing once means choosing for ever.

Prior to his decision, Yildirim spoke of a choice between head and heart. His head pushed him towards Oranje, because their style of play was more suitable for him. But the heart urged him to choose Turkey. Because, above all, he felt Turkish.

On Saturday, the final word came at last as Ugur told the world he had chosen Holland.

That makes it a wise choice instead of an emotional one, but above all it's very, very brave. Because his choice for Holland was a choice for himself. Let's face it; had he picked Turkey, the whole of Holland would just have indifferently raised their shoulders. Oh well... What's for dinner.

The Turkish community in our country, however, reacted slightly different and regards Yildirim's choice as a slap in the face. Yildirim was an absolute hero in their eyes but is now seen as a traitor. Yildirim knew this in advance, but chose Holland anyway, thus choosing the most difficult path. Whomever has such an amount of courage is clearly not a push-over.

And that should only increase Marco van Basten's joy over Yildirim's choice. After all, players with such a fighting mentality are rare in the lowest land on earth where anything goes and nothing is worth fighting for.

Geert Jan Darwinkel

---------------

Great column! :cool:

Good luck Yildirim!

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    I think he made the right choice, and I think that was a very good article also, as he said, most people in Holland would just shrug their shoulders, whereas for the Turkish community, he was one of them, not he is a traitor, which is unfair, why should he ruin his hopes of becoming a World Cup winnner, or European cup, to play for a country which he wasnt born in, like I have said, he may feel Turkish, but its the same with me. I was born in Italian, and above all I do feel Italian, but I am very proud of where I was raised, and in my mind I am as much British as Italian, and I believe the same can be said of Yildrim.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    Nicole, pardon me from asking, if both coaches from Italy + England wants u to play for their team, which team will u prefer?

I will post my opionion after dinner.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
    You see this is the dfference, I have no affiliation to England at all, I dont live in England, when I say the UK, there are 6 different countries in the UK (I am include the Rep. of Ireland when I say that as well, I know it isnt 'pollitical correct', but i still do), so it wouldnt matter as I wouldnt be eligable for England. I'd of picked Italy!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    For me, I would love to represent HK. I was born in HK and raised in Singapore, however I follow my roots and wanna return to HK. After all I treat Cantonese as an important language for me to communicate with my relatives, and I'm glad I did not lose it, or else I would have difficulty communicating with them. Rite now my relationship with them has always been good despite miles away. Actually I feel more like a Honkee than a Singaporean, but I also love Singapore as well. The food, good location for sports and etc.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    I have no affiliation to England at all, I dont live in England, when I say the UK, there are 6 different countries in the UK (I am include the Rep. of Ireland when I say that as well, I know it isnt 'pollitical correct', but i still do)
    No, it's not politically correct. It's rather insulting in fact. I don't mind the monkier "British Isles" - it's geographically accurate. I object, but don't especially care, when Irish players are lumped in with British or "home grown" players in England - the football culture's pretty much the same anyway. The UK, on the other hand, is the the conglomeration of three and a half kingdoms claimed as the dominion of the Queen of Great Britain. I do not answer to a queen.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    No, it's not politically correct. It's rather insulting in fact. I don't mind the monkier "British Isles" - it's geographically accurate. I object, but don't especially care, when Irish players are lumped in with British or "home grown" players in England - the football culture's pretty much the same anyway. The UK, on the other hand, is the the conglomeration of three and a half kingdoms claimed as the dominion of the Queen of Great Britain. I do not answer to a queen.
    Nobody answers to the Queen. Technically, Canada and Australia are also the dominion of the Queen, but nobody gives two shits about it.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
    Nobody answers to the Queen. Technically, Canada and Australia are also the dominion of the Queen, but nobody gives two shits about it.
    I don't really care. I don't live in the UK. I have a constitution, a president and neutrality agus mo teanga liom fein. It's a matter of principle.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004

I know it isnt right, I like it that way, I know I am not Irish, and if I was I'd probably find it annoying also, so for that I apologise, but I like it the way Irish players are called 'home-grown', the alternative is calling them forienges(sp?) thats what I mean I know calling the UK (and including Ireland) isnt correctly, but neither is saying the Republic is a foriegn country, imo. Sorry if that offends anyone!

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't really care. I don't live in the UK. I have a constitution, a president and neutrality agus mo teanga liom fein. It's a matter of principle.
    Indeed. I was more focusing on the Queen thing, it struck me as a bit odd...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)