A hard battle to 2K posts (4 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
any of you readers have you read anything by Garcia Marquez?
Bought a book of his for someone as a gift, never bothered to read it myself even though it was being offered to me. In fact it was a fanatic who told me about "One Hundred Years of Solitude" that totally put me off it, sounded so interminable and dull.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Bought a book of his for someone as a gift, never bothered to read it myself even though it was being offered to me. In fact it was a fanatic who told me about "One Hundred Years of Solitude" that totally put me off it, sounded so interminable and dull.
Yeah that book is a masterpiece in spanish literature. Its quite good actually, but in the middle of the book he starts talking about some war and then the book becomes boring. After the war it becomes good again though

I was just asking because I like the way he writes and I was wondering if there is any english speaking author that writes like him so I can read his books

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003

Have you read "Macbeth" by shakespeare?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Yeah that book is a masterpiece in spanish literature. Its quite good actually, but in the middle of the book he starts talking about some war and then the book becomes boring. After the war it becomes good again though

I was just asking because I like the way he writes and I was wondering if there is any english speaking author that writes like him so I can read his books
Can't help you there. The only author thar comes to mind in terms of how well he uses language is Umberto Eco. In English mind you, I'm not familiar with the original texts.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++
and what do you think??
I thought it was quite stupid and incredibly overrated. People have tried to educate me by explaining that what made Shakespeare unique was not how great his books were but how early he wrote them. And when I hear that I tend to agree, "Macbeth" is the only one I read and I thought the story was a silly plot rivalling contemporary "action" movies in terms of how important violence was in it and how simplistic the story was.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003

Can't help you there. The only author thar comes to mind in terms of how well he uses language is Umberto Eco. In English mind you, I'm not familiar with the original texts.
Yeah me either

but let me tell you something about Garcia Marquez: his books are really famous and get good reviews because in them he says how the cultural, political, economical, etc latinamerican situation really is.

I really want to read a good book but I have absolutely no idea

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003

I thought it was quite stupid and incredibly overrated. People have tried to educate me by explaining that what made Shakespeare unique was not how great his books were but how early he wrote them. And when I hear that I tend to agree, "Macbeth" is the only one I read and I thought the story was a silly plot rivalling contemporary "action" movies in terms of how important violence was in it and how simplistic the story was.
Agreed...It's full of violence and stupid stuffs..

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I think Ive never read Shakespeare. Maybe I read Hamlet

my literature teachers didnt like translated books because they said that books lose their escence

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004

Well sometimes its good to culture yourself

Im kidding! I self educate myself alot on topics that interest me. ie Current american politics.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah me either

but let me tell you something about Garcia Marquez: his books are really famous and get good reviews because in them he says how the cultural, political, economical, etc latinamerican situation really is.

I really want to read a good book but I have absolutely no idea
Well if you put it that way I might try him sometime. I have a feeling the cultural/political aspect might interest me more than the story told.

++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++

Hey I didnt say writing wasnt ok. Then someone with no imagination can read it :D
so you support writing? :D

I think Ive never read Shakespeare. Maybe I read Hamlet

my literature teachers didnt like translated books because they said that books lose their escence
I would argue that depends on the quality of the translation. It's impossible to precisely reproduce a story in a different language but some translations are much worse than others and just not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)