Zune (1 Viewer)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
I bought the Microsoft Zune instead of the Ipod last week.

Problem, the software won't install. It said Windows Media Center XP needs updating, need to update the Roll Up 2 Update. I downloaded it, but it won't install.

It starts the installation process but after a while it says it can't install, computer will be restarted in restored place, blah blah.

Any ideas?

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
God, I hate all crappy mp3 players that force you to use some clunky integration software like iTunes or Windows Media Player. (I bought my wife a Toshiba Gigabeat, and it has the same retarded integration with WMP.)

Can't say I can help you with your XP problems. But investigate alternative media management software packages to the WMP. I'm personally biased as a big fan of Media Monkey, and it has plug-ins to map your hard drive collection to practically any mp3 device. But there are other, better, and less obnoxious programs out there that are likely compatible.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Oh boy, a zune. well good luck to you. Most likely, absolutely nothing else will work with it than Microsoft's own software.

I wouldn't wish a zune on my enemy.

Jan 7, 2004
I bought the Microsoft Zune instead of the Ipod last week.

Problem, the software won't install. It said Windows Media Center XP needs updating, need to update the Roll Up 2 Update. I downloaded it, but it won't install.

It starts the installation process but after a while it says it can't install, computer will be restarted in restored place, blah blah.

Any ideas?

service pack 2? you got an illegal copy? :eyebrows:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm a happy iPod customer, and while I admit that too many people buy them because they're cool, when I was looking for a high-capacity player, nothing came close to the 80GB iPod video for me.

They're easy to use, have good battery life and are well constructed, and the flaccid 30Gb of the Zune and the aspects you lose out on when buying other high-capacity players leave one with little choice.

I actually went out of my way to look for something other than an iPod, but after extensive research, I could see no reason to go for anything else.

Mar 6, 2005
I have a 30 gig ipod, and it's great. Good battery life, awesome menu system, and, yes, even though you're "forced" to use itunes, which is a good program in its own right, but that's not true. Songbird is a better program that you could use with your ipod as well.
EDIT: Oh, and it can run linux, too!

See, mate, your problem was getting the Zune in the first place.. Sorry :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

i never understood the need for such high storage capacity in a mp3 player. i mean not long ago we were pleased with a discman that played only audio cd's, then came discman that supported mp3 cds of 750mb. imo 512mb-1gb is really enough for a mp3 player. i have a creative muvo 512mb which can hold to 5,6 albums in highest quality and that's enough for me. i don't even change those 5,6 albums too often either, once every 2-3 weeks. i'm really a music freak and have over 150gb of music on my hdd but why would i need a 30gb mp3 player? i could make a trip over the world and still not be able to hear all those songs that are on it. the more the merrier, ey?

the only advantage i can think off is when you are going away for a long, long time and can't bring a laptop or something.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
i never understood the need for such high storage capacity in a mp3 player. i mean not long ago we were pleased with a discman that played only audio cd's, then came discman that supported mp3 cds of 750mb. imo 512mb-1gb is really enough for a mp3 player. i have a creative muvo 512mb which can hold to 5,6 albums in highest quality and that's enough for me. i don't even change those 5,6 albums too often either, once every 2-3 weeks. i'm really a music freak and have over 150gb of music on my hdd but why would i need a 30gb mp3 player? i could make a trip over the world and still not be able to hear all those songs that are on it. the more the merrier, ey?

the only advantage i can think off is when you are going away for a long, long time and can't bring a laptop or something.
exactly mate i have a 2GB player and still have about 18 hours of music on it, if i need to change mood u have lots of music to choose from. the whole point of them is that you can upload new music whenever you feel like it

gray

Apr 22, 2003

I travel around 2 hours to and from work, and have another 2 hours to listen to my iPod at work, meaning it'd be much too restrictive to only have room for 5-6 albums. I listen to a huge variety of different genres of music, from Classical to Gospel to Jazz to Blues to Rock, and everything in between, including audio books. Now that I'm a spoilt iPod owner, I don't think I could imagine first having to choose 5-6 genres, then choosing one album for each genre.

I don't get that much time at the computer anymore, so I love the luxury of being able to simply dump all of my audio books and music onto my iPod, and not need to plug it into my computer every time I finish one of my audio books, or feel like listening to something new.

I also have a whole bunch of TV episodes on my 80GB, including the complete series of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Ali G and Family Guy. Again you could argue that I won't be able to watch them all in one sitting anyway, but I watch them during my daily workout, which means I get through around 5-6 episodes a day, and it'd be too much of a pain to have to replace the episodes that I've watched every day.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I travel around 2 hours to and from work, and have another 2 hours to listen to my iPod at work, meaning it'd be much too restrictive to only have room for 5-6 albums. I listen to a huge variety of different genres of music, from Classical to Gospel to Jazz to Blues to Rock, and everything in between, including audio books. Now that I'm a spoilt iPod owner, I don't think I could imagine first having to choose 5-6 genres, then choosing one album for each genre.

I don't get that much time at the computer anymore, so I love the luxury of being able to simply dump all of my audio books and music onto my iPod, and not need to plug it into my computer every time I finish one of my audio books, or feel like listening to something new.

I also have a whole bunch of TV episodes on my 80GB, including the complete series of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Ali G and Family Guy. Again you could argue that I won't be able to watch them all in one sitting anyway, but I watch them during my daily workout, which means I get through around 5-6 episodes a day, and it'd be too much of a pain to have to replace the episodes that I've watched every day.
indeed, spoiled by ipod, you are. :D

well i understand everything you're saying, even more when you say you have complete seasons of those series on them too. i'm not saying it's not practical to have all that storage, especially in your case where you have quite a ride to and from work, but for a simple music player that's simply A LOT for me.

i guess it's only me because i tend to give the music i listen to "special treatment". when i listen to a certain artist, right now it's dire straits, i only focus on them and their albums. i guess that's why 5,6 albums on my mp3 are enough. after i'm done with that artist i move on to next.

and don't get me wrong i'd love to have one of those uber-ipods. :p

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

I have to agree with vlatko here, though. The capacity issue for music players is irrelevant today. I have nearly 200Gb of music on network storage at home, but I could tour the world for 6 months and not be for want of any more music than I can already store on my 30Gb device. But even with that, why would I even want to be away from my computer for that long a time for music? That would also mean that no new releases are getting on my player for that many months. So having more than 30Gb to me is a bit like carrying a massive outback backpack when you're just going to the office -- carrying 20 gallons of water with me when I can buy a bottle of the fresh stuff across the street.

(As for TV episodes and movies, the form factor for the player is poor, IMO. Which is why I typically use a PSP instead for mobile video content.)

Apr 15, 2006
my friend who owned an iPod once unplugged the iPod from the USB drive without 'Safely removing media'. then, the iPod couldnt play any of his music or movies!!!! we went to the Apple Centre, and the iTunes running on Mac systems there also couldnt read any of the music, but only the other 'data' tha was there....

then finally, he came to my place before going to his, and we just plugged it into MY comp, and Winamp read ALL the mp3's n videos in a jiffy!!! he was shocked that native Apple software couldnt read data from native Apple products whereas a third-party software liek Winamp did!!!! even WMP couldnt read it!!!

so im thinking, if Winamp could read a FAULTY iPod, it can SURELY read a perfectly working Zune!!!

Hail Winamp!............and amarok too!! :lol:

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
Who "buys" Microsoft products anyway
Noone, if there's an alternative.
But seriously, a mp3-player from Bill Gates? :disagree: He must be kidding us.
:D
Hopefully you didn't get in the set with Mcrosoft microwave (what a decent alliteration). We haven't heard of him since he opened the thread?
The warnings and errors of his Microsoft house must have killed him.

(I know this post is childish)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Noone, if there's an alternative.
But seriously, a mp3-player from Bill Gates? :disagree: He must be kidding us.
:D
Hopefully you didn't get in the set with Mcrosoft microwave (what a decent alliteration). We haven't heard of him since he opened the thread?
The warnings and errors of his Microsoft house must have killed him.

(I know this post is childish)
The fact is there are alternatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)