JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Is Zidane a bigger Real legend than Juve legend? Yes.
Is Cristiano a bigger Real legend than MU legend? Yes.
Are both of them also legends at Juve and MU? Yes.
Cristiano Ronaldo did more for Man Utd than Zidane did for Juventus. I agree with your idea but not the analogy, for that reason.

I think the difference is that Ronaldo's career is essentially with two clubs, as he left Sporting so young and arrived at Juventus towards the end of his career. Contrast Zidane who played 7 years in France and was 24 when he arrived at Juve, so he had two 5-year stints with Juve and RM and that was him done. So you'd get people who would argue that he was a Bordeaux, Juve and Real Madrid legend, and others who only see it as RM.

It would be interesting to see what fans of other clubs think, but I'd imagine most associate him with RM. I bet lots of younger fans have forgotten/didn't know that he even played for Juventus.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Cristiano Ronaldo did more for Man Utd than Zidane did for Juventus. I agree with your idea but not the analogy, for that reason.

I think the difference is that Ronaldo's career is essentially with two clubs, as he left Sporting so young and arrived at Juventus towards the end of his career. Contrast Zidane who played 7 years in France and was 24 when he arrived at Juve, so he had two 5-year stints with Juve and RM and that was him done. So you'd get people who would argue that he was a Bordeaux, Juve and Real Madrid legend, and others who only see it as RM.

It would be interesting to see what fans of other clubs think, but I'd imagine most associate him with RM. I bet lots of younger fans have forgotten/didn't know that he even played for Juventus.
I did admit that his a bigger Real legend than Juve. But again, a player can be a legend of two clubs, not necesarrily equally but still legendary.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
So he wasnt a legend for us?!
I guess picking up a golden ball means nothing nowadays...
Also he isnt a traitor or something - He left to Real Madrid (not Inter or something)
Lippi left us for Inter although he came back in the end and I doubt there is a single person here that would say he isnt a legend..

I can understand why Conte could be in this section (although he is a legend too for me as he took us from 7th place to begin the total dominance era)..

ZZ is the main reason i started to support this club in 98 especially his roots was Arabic from Algeria ...actually Juve was very popular in Arabic world at that time because of him ....and as much as i loved him as a player and was very unique i will not consider him a legend for Juve ,,,

because of one thing , he has no empathy towards this club ... never ..he was always thnk Real was greater bigger ...Days of Rual and Macmanaman ..he was always think we are a small team ..and i still remember how he forced a transfer out and the trade Moggi and the co could n't do anything but to cash on him for i think 73m as i remember ...

no he is not legend for Juve , maybe for Real and France ...take Zambrotta too, the best left back in the world i consider but he was a traitor in 2006 ....

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I was deeply saddened when we sold him in 2001, especially because less than 12 months later he scored that magnificent goal in the CL final against Leverkusen.

He's a Juventus legend in my book, but not at the same level as Buffon, Del Piero, or Camoranesi.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
The World Cup 1998 made Zidane a world football legend for what he had achieved for his country (first WC in their history). That tournament was a turning point for him, and it just happened that he also played for Juventus around that time, so with all the endless admiration he was getting it was very easy to extend his legendary status to everything he touched, including his tenure at the club. But I also don't think that he was a Juventus legend. Nonetheless, he definitely contributed to the "Juventus Legends" section of the Juventus history: the club used money from his transfer to sign Buffon and Nedved.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I was deeply saddened when we sold him in 2001, especially because less than 12 months later he scored that magnificent goal in the CL final against Leverkusen.
I was livid for years after he left. Maybe for a decade I was mad at him. But I have to say that he was the most elegant player I have ever seen. It was pure pleasure to watch him with the ball. I miss those times.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I was livid for years after he left. Maybe for a decade I was mad at him. But I have to say that he was the most elegant player I have ever seen. It was pure pleasure to watch him with the ball. I miss those times.
I wasn't mad at him - I was just disappointed, sad. We were more pragmatic and dynamic after he left, but I don't actually think we were a better team, because we missed his guile and magic. He, along with Del Piero, provided that spark. Nedved was great for us, but I never really rated him as a footballing genius - he was very talented and hard working, but he wasn't at the same level as Zidane.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I wasn't mad at him - I was just disappointed, sad. We were more pragmatic and dynamic after he left, but I don't actually think we were a better team, because we missed his guile and magic. He, along with Del Piero, provided that spark. Nedved was great for us, but I never really rated him as a footballing genius - he was very talented and hard working, but he wasn't at the same level as Zidane.
I was mad at him because he wanted to leave. We would never sell him just for the money. At that time he and Ronaldo were the two superstars in football and I believe the club wanted him to retire with us. If I was Moggi I would have kept him. I would do like Bayern - sorry boi, you've got a contract. :donedeal:

He should love us. He won 2 titles, won a WC while being our player, won a Golden Ball and reached CL finals 2 times. He became a superstar here. With Madrid he won one CL and one title. I bet he is still fond of us.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
I was mad at him because he wanted to leave. We would never sell him just for the money. At that time he and Ronaldo were the two superstars in football and I believe the club wanted him to retire with us. If I was Moggi I would have kept him. I would do like Bayern - sorry boi, you've got a contract. :donedeal:
I would never believe these 'he wanted to leave'. Italian football is a lot about fantacalcio where sporting directors and managers are fantasized more than most players. It was a plusvalenza trade that Juve directors simply wouldn't say no to. Showing big profit in the first years of public listing, they wanted to showcase their talents in running a football club.
In retrospect, it showed the foresight of Madrid instead, because that was the beginning of their Galacticos. 5 CL titles and nearly 2 billion more revenue than Juve over the years later, Juve are still trying to plusvalenza to balance books whereas Madrid are flooded with cash, profits trophies, fanbase and a great winning manager who also helps them scout and poach top French talents.
The worst trade from Juve fan perspective imo.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I would never believe these 'he wanted to leave'. Italian football is a lot about fantacalcio where sporting directors and managers are fantasized more than most players. It was a plusvalenza trade that Juve directors simply wouldn't say no to. Showing big profit in the first years of public listing, they wanted to showcase their talents in running a football club.
In retrospect, it showed the foresight of Madrid instead, because that was the beginning of their Galacticos. 5 CL titles and nearly 2 billion more revenue than Juve over the years later, Juve are still trying to plusvalenza to balance books whereas Madrid are flooded with cash, profits trophies, fanbase and a great winning manager who also helps them scout and poach top French talents.
Well, I got different information. There was an obscure story about notes between Zizou and Florentino Perez by using napkins at some event where the Real boss invited him to Bernabeu. And after that Zidane said that he wanted to leave Turin because his wife didn't like the weather there. Maybe it was media BS, but it is weird from ZIdane to blame his wife for the move if he was "forced" to leave.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
It all would've been fine if Nedved was clutch enough not to get booked then :(

Btw you totally ignored Calciopoli lol thix huge difference in revenue wasnt there before 2006.

- - - Updated - - -

He should love us. He won 2 titles, won a WC while being our player, won a Golden Ball and reached CL finals 2 times. He became a superstar here. With Madrid he won one CL and one title. I bet he is still fond of us.
Im sure the lost finals just got to him bad.

Anyway, thinking about our CL past always makes me depressed.

Last edited:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
They had a bigger fanbase to start with, and they benefit from Madrid being more attractive than Turin for recruitment purposes. They've also had more than their fair of government help, first from Franco, but even relatively recently when the government bought their training ground for an absolute fortune.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)