Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Are you old enough to seen whole of Zidanes career? If you were It's baffling to not see the individual superiority to the two Spainards.

He was the best player in France by some margin, just see what he did just before retiring in 2006, bonafide iconic legend.

Xavi was amazing in his prime, but he was the perfect system player, he spent half a decade being inconsistent and mediocre for Barca, he was even close to leaving before their era defining success began.

Zidane never played in that type of collective set up that Barca and Spain had. He was still the main man in every way and deserves all the accolades he got. Individually just another level to most.

Only Barca player I would rate over him is Messi, never Xavi or especially Iniesta (nowhere near Zizou level, come on).

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
It's baffling we're talking about him in the rookie/history section.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
if he played for England, he would
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

What has Zidane done to so often be considered a tier above the likes of Nedved, Del Piero, Romario, or Figo?

Personally I consider them all around the same level along with a few from this gen like Robben, Xavi, Iniesta, and Suarez. However certainly between Maradona and Pele the likes of Messi, Cruyff, Ronaldo, CRonaldo, Platini, Garrincha, Di Stefano, Eusebio, Baggio are above that tier.
Scored the winner in wc 98 and cl final 02.

Nedved is class but didnt win anything outside Italy. (If greece was able to win, czechs had a great team 04-06 period). We can only wonder if Nedved had played that 03 final. Not just for Juve winning it but his performance could have made a huge difference and also for his own legacy.

I remember when Juve beat Real that season it was like selling Zidane to get Buffon and Nedved was justified.

Figo played 2nd violin at Real kind of. And losing that 04 final at home (Portugal) was a huge failure tbh.

Not sure where i would put Romario. He left europe age 29. Didnt win CL. But one of the best players 1994 WC. He has great numbers but kind of meh career in europe achievement wise (one league title with Barcelona, couple of trophies with PSV but nothing in european competitions).

Then again Ronaldo (the brazilian) never won the CL either. Never even played final. But for sure one of the WC legends and in that sense elite striker.

May 23, 2013
Where would you put Lothar Matthäus? Karl Heinz Rummenigge too for that matter. For me they are also among the all time greatest. Both won the ballon d’or, KHR two times
I am not gonna lie most of my info on football in the 80's and before come from my father and uncles. They havent told me about many German footballers outside of Voller and Mueller.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Tbh you can def make a case that Iniesta/Xavi better. Look what they have won and how they dominated the football last 10 years. They have won like 4CLs. 2euros and wc. Messi didnt help them winning those national team titles. In terms of longevity and consistency they own Zidane. Xavi last game for Barca was CL final so that guy left thebig game on an absolute high.

France 2002 wtf
2004 losing to greece with their star names wtf

Add those fckng lost finals with Juve where he didnt show up.
You're comparing individual players with team trophies.

Do you consider Casillas to be better than Buffon?

Better yet....who's better, Totti or Padoin?

Comparing Xavi & Iniesta to Zidane is crazy :lol:

It's pretty much Pele, Maradona and then Zidane.
There's like a hundred players between Zidane and those two (including Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Del Piero etc).
And other all-time "tier 1" players like Cruyff, Messi, Puskas, Platini, Di Stefano, Cristiano, Zico, Beckenbauer...

Zidane is in tier 2 with Brazucca Ronaldo, Eusebio, Garrincha, Jose Manuel Moreno, Gullit, van Basten etc.

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Zidane is my favorite player ever, but every one of Ronaldo's are well deserved. The guy is a freak of nature.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Granted that but during every one of em he always seems to do something that makes a douchebag of himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Buffon should've got his (Ballon d'or) this year, 700+ mins clean sheet in CL. A record that will stand for many years to come...wth else a GK can do. He's a living legend.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
You're comparing individual players with team trophies.

Do you consider Casillas to be better than Buffon?

Better yet....who's better, Totti or Padoin?

And other all-time "tier 1" players like Cruyff, Messi, Puskas, Platini, Di Stefano, Cristiano, Zico, Beckenbauer...

Zidane is in tier 2 with Brazucca Ronaldo, Eusebio, Garrincha, Jose Manuel Moreno, Gullit, van Basten etc.
I honestly couldnt care less about balloon doors and golden balls if we talk about "individual trophies". For me they dont matter anything. I would swap Nedved balloon door for 2003 CL final win trophy in a heartbeat. Its a nice recognition for a player but thats about it.

I dont get why people are downplaying France NT of 98-00. Like they just won because of Zidane. Some here saying how that team was average. No it wasnt.

You are stretching my argument also. I said, you can make a case that Iniesta/Xavi better. Precisely said that. So what is this Padoin or Casillas nonsense.

Making a case that Iniesta/Xavi better not player X better than Zidane.

And again, this argument that Xavi was part of amazing team (both Spain and Barca) is very loose. Again, its not like Zidane was playing for some crap teams. France 98-00 was fantastic team. 06 you can argue i guess because they had a manager who wasnt rated (but besides Zidane, Henry was pretty much prime there and they still had lot of quality players just maybe badly managed team where Zidane basically had to take the responsibilities and i do remember he played with a certain freedom role that tournament). There was also many Juve players involved with that side (Trez, Thuram, Vieira).

- - - Updated - - -

We want winners here
Zizou? Yes please!
You guys are talking like he is available by summer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ane-new-contract-manager-latest-a8153271.html

Real just confirmed him for 2020.

And i have a feeling he will end up as France NT coach after he leaves. Heck even if things dont work out this season, he might take over from Deschamps in the summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)