Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You missunderstood me, I watched them as a kid, that's why it was much more romantic and full of WOW, not only because the league and players were better or more fun to watch. Though I agree that nowdays, players are really grey and dull, at least to me. But I think the same about NBA or any other sport too, and that has a lot to do about how I percieved them when I was kid and how I do now.

So you hearing about Platini everyday from your releatives how good he was or watching when you were just a kid is not really an objective thing is it?
Hearing ? I think you misunderstood. My uncle and me watched those games togheter, who were a decade old. It gave something extra tho, older tapes have that bit of crack and snow in them. Especially when i rewatched a whole bunch the second period.

I'm a bit sad they never got digitalised. Tapes wear out after such a long time.

And i goddamn miss eurosport replay. And the sound the fans made during the 80ties

Nov 17, 2012
Well in the case of the NBA.... the Jordan era was full of legends, Jordan being the best of all.

It was the golden age of the NBA, and i dont think that it has to do with the age of someone.
Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, Longley, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Olajuwon, Drexler, Wilkins, Kemp, Robinson, Duncan, Miller and a very young Shaq & Kobe haha... Jesus, a hell of a generation that's for sure...

Who could forget Spud Webb haha!
Dat vertical leap!!

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Well in the case of the NBA.... the Jordan era was full of legends, Jordan being the best of all.

It was the golden age of the NBA, and i dont think that it has to do with the age of someone.
Yeah, but it's like that all the time, mroe in the past they had bill russel, chamberlens and all that, now we have lebrons, kobies and etc I bet kids from today will say the same when they grow up just about this time. A kid watches listens and reacts differently then an adult does to be it football basketball or whatever.

And Zach, what is the second best player in Juve acording to you if you put Zidane third?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Del Piero I hope so. Even though when someone plays for one club 19 years and holds almost every possible record, in my books is the best player of that club. Overall Zidane was better player, more impact on international stage, better individual accolades, but for Juventus Del Piero did more than anyone other.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Del Piero I hope so. Even though when someone plays for one club 19 years and holds almost every possible record, in my books is the best player of that club. Overall Zidane was better player, more impact on international stage, better individual accolades, but for Juventus Del Piero did more than anyone other.
It's not about who did more for who here, it's about who was better player. And with all due respect to DP, Zidane was really better player, I think Baggio might be the one he's talking about, though for me too, Zidane was level above Baggio. And you really can't know with him, it might be some player from the late XIX.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
It's not about who did more for who here, it's about who was better player. And with all due respect to DP, Zidane was really better player, I think Baggio might be the one he's talking about, though for me too, Zidane was level above Baggio. And you really can't know with him, it might be some player from the late 1900.
And I don't disagree with you. Zidane was better player overall and the best one I've seen. His technique, dribbling, passing, free kicks were all impeccable backed with strong character and charisma. Considering his contribution and achievements for French NT, Juve and Real, he will be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time.

Now I'm only saying that Del Piero was better player in Juventus in the time they both played together side by side. Without Alex Juve struggled (1999), without Zidane not so much and his sale was one of the best moves by our previous management which helped us to effectively rebuild the team. Zidane in his last two years here lacked motivation and eventually became unsatisfied.

So for me Del Piero was the best player I've ever seen in Juventus. I can't comment on previous legends like Platini, Sivori, Boniperti as apart from probably the same Eurosport games which Zach has seen, I haven't been around for that long to give qualified opinion. All that I can say is 705 appearances and 289 goals. Simply the best :D

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Del Piero was definitely more influential/important for Juventus, but then again he played with us for 19 seasons :D

Baggio and Zidane were both superior players to DP, but that is just my honest and humble opinion :)

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
One thing I always wondered about was this:

When ADP got injured in '98, we went to shit after that.

But had the situation been reversed, and Zidane got injured instead, would we have been just as bad?

Personally I don't think so.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Feel the same. DP was on top of his game back then and on par with the world's best players. He scored 32 goals in previous season and that's something we couldn't find a replacement for.

As a massive fanboy of Alex Del Piero I sometimes wonder what if Di Biaggio scored that penalty for Italians in '98. It might have been all different. Hell I would even cheer for Italy back then in the semis vs my own country, that's how much I liked this guy and wanted him to succeed at highest level.

Klovn

#MakeTuzGreatAgain
Jul 28, 2011
Finally, it's now possible to express my own opinion about the best football player for me, without somebody(Not gonna mention any names) denies it and calls it a fact.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Feel the same. DP was on top of his game back then and on par with the world's best players. He scored 32 goals in previous season and that's something we couldn't find a replacement for.

As a massive fanboy of Alex Del Piero I sometimes wonder what if Di Biaggio scored that penalty for Italians in '98. It might have been all different. Hell I would even cheer for Italy back then in the semis vs my own country, that's how much I liked this guy and wanted him to succeed at highest level.
In relation to that quarter final vs France, I've always wondered what would (and should) have happened had Maldini started Baggio instead of Del Piero.

Always felt Italy would have won the game, and probably the tournament.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Maybe. Baggio was in much better form that summer it must be said and quite inexplicably left out. He came close when brought in, inches separated Italy from semis. DP never really dominated WC tournament like Zidane in '98, or Baggio 4 years before, although he won one later on, but not as protagonist hence the difference between those two on international stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)