Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Easy there son, alot of faults in this.

Platini had the peak of his career from 82-85. He was firmly on the decline afterwards. and juve was in a transition period.
Zico had his last season in italy in '85, before maradona won anything

Platini during his peak, was easely the better player.

Please stop with this nonsense.

Platini was an incredible talent, one of the all time greats in the game, elegant beyond belief. Better than Maradona? Even Platini himself would admit he wasn't as good as Diego.

The fact remains that Maradona dragged Napoli from nothing to win 2 league titles, a Coppa and a UEFA Cup (when it meant something), not to mention stamping his whole name over a World Cup like nobody has ever done before or since in 1986, then being overweight and ridiculously drugged up and still carried a poor Argentina team to another final four years later. Maradona got butchered by defenders, watch any footage of the shit he put up with in the 80s.

Anyone who puts Zidane over Maradona is down to a generational gap. Zidane is in the second tier bracket of great players. El Diego is top of the mountain.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I find it strange how X usually hammers everyone who says anything about Diego Maradona or Riquelme but especially when Zacheryah said that Platini was better than El Deus he let it go.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Maradona's 52. If you watched him in his heyday, he was in his 20s and 30s. That was 20 to 30 years ago. To truly appreciate him, you must've been in your 20s back then, as that's when the human brain truly begins to mature. That must mean you're in your 40s/50s. Which you're not. You're probably late 20s early 30s. Which means, best case scenario, you were probably barely alive when Maradona was playing.
Suck it, i explained everything before and cannot be bothered to do it again.

And i've allways mentionned platini, not maradona. I think i saw only 25 full games or so from maradona, its not much, but enough to make an opinion.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
How many did you see from Platini? Though how old are you, is it a secret or a hard question?
First of all, I hate you for making me dig up memories i didnt want to bring back up, and that are allready somewere on the forum.

Between age 11 and 18, i spend 2/3 houres each day between comming home from school (at my uncle), and my father picking me up when he finished with work. My uncle was french, and a massive fan of Platini. he was one of the few in the 80 around our town that had sattelite connection, and a pretty neat hifi setup for that time. He taped most of those games on VCR. especially the more important ones.
During those years, we watched one game each day. Offcourse during times when my father was hospitalised, and i didnt have school, that could increase to like 4 games or something. Football was good those times.
between my 22 and 26 when i moved back at my father, i didnt had this weekly time, but again the few times each year he was hospitalised i stayd there after work/school or during vacations, watching more games.

Last two years i've not found the time for a regular game, but it happens on occasions.

So yeah, i've seen quite a bit of platini. Zidane and Del Piero i saw live.

Platini was the best player ever to wear a juventus shirt. Not even close

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Ok... Though you might have overthought the question which I thought was quite simple one (how old are you), which in the end as we can see was a bit too hard.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yep. But I was still a kid then. The way I saw them was more to WOW factor then as I look at players now.
exactly what i wanted to point out !

The genious, the brilliant actions, its gone from football. I remember watching him, it was something otherworldy. Flares and bengal fire in the stands, smoke, the fans trowing the tickets on the field before the kickoff. The pure pace and brilliance of actions.

I feel so much is lost. Hence i remember those zidane roulettes, managing a way out of a 4 player lock. del piero's double fake and turn.

Everything became so dull nowadays. Pirlo has to be the last great artist. such a shame. Even Ronaldo isnt doing all those tricks anymore

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
You missunderstood me, I watched them as a kid, that's why it was much more romantic and full of WOW, not only because the league and players were better or more fun to watch. Though I agree that nowdays, players are really grey and dull, at least to me. But I think the same about NBA or any other sport too, and that has a lot to do about how I percieved them when I was kid and how I do now.

So you hearing about Platini everyday from your releatives how good he was or watching when you were just a kid is not really an objective thing is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)