Your desktop here (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2002
i just cant understand how can people live without billion of icons on desktop. i hate looking for stuff so i just put everything on the desktop and that the best way:

PS: credits to inuborossonero for the pic (you wanted to make us cry but ... tough luck)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #203
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    i just cant understand how can people live without billion of icons on desktop. i hate looking for stuff so i just put everything on the desktop and that the best way:
    Cause it looks like shit, I hate icons on the desktop, it's not like I don't know where my files are stashed.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Cause it looks like shit, I hate icons on the desktop, it's not like I don't know where my files are stashed.

it's not that you look at your desktop very often to be bothered with that mess

and you actually said shit. wow... :eek: ;)

dozobaczenia :D

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    i dont really see the advantages of new destop software tho.

Its the windows xp one got what you need. Add a little stylexp and bingo :D

I dont see the point of moding the hell outa the desktop just for the hell of it. Anyways prob just me :)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #207
    Fabiana, great picture! :cool:

it's not that you look at your desktop very often to be bothered with that mess

and you actually said shit. wow... :eek: ;)

dozobaczenia :D
    I do look at my desktop a lot, ever since I got an upgrade to a monitor that does 1600x1200 I don't maximize anymore and I see the desktop more.

Yes, and I meant it :p

Mac, each to his own. When people show off their desktop screenshots I'm rarely impressed, I always like my own stuff better anyway.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    Im not talking about the desktop image of course.

And i admit your style (not talking about desktop image altho its nice to :) ) does look amazing. But is it as usable, any advantages to what you got? If there is then i gotta try. If not why do it.

Thats what im saying. I dont sacrifice speed for style :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #209
    ++ [ originally posted by McFarlando ] ++
    And i admit your style (not talking about desktop image altho its nice to :) ) does look amazing. But is it as usable, any advantages to what you got? If there is then i gotta try. If not why do it.
    Depends on what you're used to, if you've always used Windows you might not like it. Linux window managers are a lot of the same but some things are different, details that make it better. Hold Alt + drag moves the window. Alt + right click drag resizes it. You have virtual desktops, which means you can move windows there while you don't use them and unclutter your display that way. Use the wheel on the mouse to cycle through virtual screens. You can control how windows behave, where they appear, whether they're sticky or not (mine are all sticky, like Winamp in Windows).

And you don't sacrifice speed, often the display is more responsive because the software is optimized better and needs less resources. (Vital fact: linux prosesses respect their priorities, if you set the window manager at a higher priority than other intensive software, it will never lock up or slow you down, I always set xmms (Winamp clone) to a higher priority than everything else and I always run system maintenance at the lowest possible priority, it runs on idle cpu cycles and I never notice it.) In contrast, Windows also has priorities but it's much worse to mess with them, I have tried preventing explorer.exe from locking my system (since it crashes from time to time and uses all cpu power) by running it at a lower priority and even though I make that setting it still locks up the system.

You can get away with lesser hardware using Linux as long as you stick to the leightweight window managers. Speed is good, it looks good, all is well. You also have KDE and Gnome, two window managers that come with their own toolkit (for developers) and tons of matching software, using each of them is much like Windows, they need a lot of resources and they have a lot of stuff for ya, a start menu, a system tray, lots of useless gadgets and some useful software.

In general, display styles have really started to look good in Linux over the past 2-3 years, before that it looked pretty lousy IMO.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    call me lazy but to me it seems like alot of extra hassle to set it up etc. And altho the advantages do seem good, they wouldnt make me wanna change. And also if something screws up i wont know how to fix it. Windows xp does exactly what i need it to do, and thats good enough for me:)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #211
    Exactly, most people have no reason to switch. I like learning Linux so that's why I do it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants the easy road.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    so, in what ways linux is better than windows?

i have a toshiba laptop, i wanted to install linux but they told me that windows is better..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It's called quicklaunch. Use it ;) I hate desktop icons.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #214
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
    so, in what ways linux is better than windows?

i have a toshiba laptop, i wanted to install linux but they told me that windows is better..
    That can't be answered in a few sentences, but the general difference is that Windows is made for ease of use, Linux is made for efficiency and solidity. So Windows is easier but Linux has other benefits, it's less prone to crashes, viruses practically don't exist and it's much cheaper.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Nope, I downloaded the ISO little more than 3 or 4 days ago, and I only finished my final exams today. I had a dabble at it, and it seems that all you need is the shootdodge, nothing else ;)

It shouldn't really be called Max Payne 2, more like Max Payne 1.5

It looks and plays almost identically, and i'm glad they kept the sweet comic style storyline telling. The voice acting's great too :thumb:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    yeah, shotdodge is unfair really. too easy. But get to the later parts of Hard Boil and other dificulty levels and it's really a must. you cant survive without it. So word of advice, master the shootdodge.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    ok, 10x alex.

but i heard that linux might not recognize the vga card properly and thus causes problems.

btw, does it need fast pc?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #219
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
    ok, 10x alex.

but i heard that linux might not recognize the vga card properly and thus causes problems.

btw, does it need fast pc?
    That's hard to say, Windows has a better record for hardware compatibility in general but most common hardware is well supported in Linux, barring state of the art stuff.

No, you can probably run it on a slower pc than you would need for Windows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)