You Don't Want Too Big A Squad (1 Viewer)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
In my opinion Juve will be just fine with 23 players in the squad. Inter always had too many good players who couldn't even make the subs bench.

Last year our first 11 was first rate, but this year our first 11 hasn't changed much with the exception of Vieira. Its our Subs bench which has substantially improved.

When you think about it, its worthwile have 3 class of players in the squad. A, B and C. A class if basically the first 11; B class is the subs bench (the subs should be as close in quality to the A class if you want to win Champions League); then C class are the versatile squad players.

The stock Juve formation would be:

-------------------BUFFON------------------

ZEBINA---THURAM---CANNA---ZAMBRO

CAMO---EMERSON---VIEIRA---NEDVED

--------------ZLATAN----TREZ-------------

The only significant change which should happen on the subs bench is a NEW player to replace Olivera - a player that is attacking and can play on both wings of a 4-4-2. In my opinion, I would love to see Pires join Juventus. If I assume that we get C. Zanetti from Inter by using Miccoli as part of an exchange deal, then our squad would be complete.

You are only allowed to have 7 subs on the bench for any match and you know that the goalkeeper occupies 1 of those places. The subs should usually consist of 2 defenders (a full back and a centre back); 2 midfielders (a DM and an attacking winger); and 2 forwards.

That means that our subs bench would be:

Chimenti
Kovac
Chiellini
Pires?
C. Zanetti?
Mutu
Del Piero

In a squad of 23, that leaves another 5 squad players (or C class players). These would be:

Giannicheda
Milito?
Pessotto
Birrindelli
Bonnefoi

You can see that the 6 field players on the bench are all of good quality while those squad players are useful but non-world class.

You can see that if say, Zebina gets injured, you sub him with Thuram (at right back) and put on Kovac.....or you use Zambro at right back with Chiellini coming on. Pires can play left or right, and C. Zanetti is the sub for one of the DMs.

Juve are smart on the transfer market. I believe that is how the team management think about the squad too. So don't expect great players to be subs in just 1 position....it just won't happen. But that is what makes Juve so successful.....they always have a tight and flexible squad. This results in better team unity, tactical flexibility and reasonable depth.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
By my count we have exactly 24 players at present.

GK: Buffon, Chimenti

DF: Zebina, Birindelli, Thuram, Masiello, Kovac, Tudor, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Pessotto

MF: Camoranesi, Olivera, Giannichedda, Blasi, Emerson, Vieira, Nedved

FW: Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Del Piero, Mutu, Zalayeta

If we bring in a new RB and another midfielder we'll have 26 and a good enough squad to do well in European and domestic competition.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
Offtopic but what are the real chances of us getting Pires?
Slim. If Juve really want him, he might come, but I think he'll stay with Arsenal a little longer.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

DF: Zebina, Birindelli, Thuram, Masiello, Kovac, Tudor, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Pessotto

If we bring in a new RB and another midfielder we'll have 26 and a good enough squad to do well in European and domestic competition.

The thing that strikes me most is how few wingers we have. Luckily, Gianluca can help us out in case of an injury crisis, maybe even Georgio.

OP
Catenaccio

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    Stuart, I don't think Tudor is staying with us for long. If we get Miguel, then I don't think Birindelli will stick around.

I don't think Juve will have 5 strikers this year. I expect Zalayeta to leave.

That leaves us with 23 players. That is enough considering that so many players can play in more than 1 position. We would have a tight enough yet deep enough squad to compete in Europe and Serie A. Who cares about Italian Cup.

If we were to get someone like Pires and loan out Olivera....that would be perfect.

arc

Mar 11, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

The thing that strikes me most is how few wingers we have. Luckily, Gianluca can help us out in case of an injury crisis, maybe even Georgio.
    zambrotta ;)

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
    In my opinion Juve will be just fine with 23 players in the squad. Inter always had too many good players who couldn't even make the subs bench.

Last year our first 11 was first rate, but this year our first 11 hasn't changed much with the exception of Vieira. Its our Subs bench which has substantially improved.

When you think about it, its worthwile have 3 class of players in the squad. A, B and C. A class if basically the first 11; B class is the subs bench (the subs should be as close in quality to the A class if you want to win Champions League); then C class are the versatile squad players.

The stock Juve formation would be:

-------------------BUFFON------------------

ZEBINA---THURAM---CANNA---ZAMBRO

CAMO---EMERSON---VIEIRA---NEDVED

--------------ZLATAN----TREZ-------------

The only significant change which should happen on the subs bench is a NEW player to replace Olivera - a player that is attacking and can play on both wings of a 4-4-2. In my opinion, I would love to see Pires join Juventus. If I assume that we get C. Zanetti from Inter by using Miccoli as part of an exchange deal, then our squad would be complete.

You are only allowed to have 7 subs on the bench for any match and you know that the goalkeeper occupies 1 of those places. The subs should usually consist of 2 defenders (a full back and a centre back); 2 midfielders (a DM and an attacking winger); and 2 forwards.

That means that our subs bench would be:

Chimenti
    Kovac
    Chiellini
    Pires?
    C. Zanetti?
    Mutu
    Del Piero

In a squad of 23, that leaves another 5 squad players (or C class players). These would be:

Giannicheda
    Milito?
    Pessotto
    Birrindelli
    Bonnefoi

You can see that the 6 field players on the bench are all of good quality while those squad players are useful but non-world class.

You can see that if say, Zebina gets injured, you sub him with Thuram (at right back) and put on Kovac.....or you use Zambro at right back with Chiellini coming on. Pires can play left or right, and C. Zanetti is the sub for one of the DMs.

Juve are smart on the transfer market. I believe that is how the team management think about the squad too. So don't expect great players to be subs in just 1 position....it just won't happen. But that is what makes Juve so successful.....they always have a tight and flexible squad. This results in better team unity, tactical flexibility and reasonable depth.
    nice theory..:rolleyes:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
    Stuart, I don't think Tudor is staying with us for long. If we get Miguel, then I don't think Birindelli will stick around.

I don't think Juve will have 5 strikers this year. I expect Zalayeta to leave.

That leaves us with 23 players. That is enough considering that so many players can play in more than 1 position. We would have a tight enough yet deep enough squad to compete in Europe and Serie A. Who cares about Italian Cup.

If we were to get someone like Pires and loan out Olivera....that would be perfect.
    Well we'll see what happens with Tudor. Birindelli I'm not too sure about but there's a good chance he'll remain like Ferrara, Montero, Iuliano and others did even if it means limited playing time.

Personally I feel that we need and will have five strikers this season. It's hard to imagine a season that sees Trezeguet and Del Piero remain fit in its entirety and I'm sure that Capello has learnt a lesson from last season. If Zalayeta leaves I think we'll make a move for Diego Milito of Genoa.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Yep. We only have three real wide midfield players, but as you said, Zambrotta and Chiellini can play there if necessary.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    IMO our squad looks better than it has in years. I really don't see any problem with it. I've never had such a good feeling about Juve.

Getting Cassano could ruin it all though.

Aug 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

is Masiello still with us?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)