Yeah, yeah, what's the big deal? *groan* (3 Viewers)

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
well, in my humble opinion, there is nothing spectacular to PL :D
i mean, ok, there are some teams that might do some great job in the technical sector, as arsenal and, as i've seen, newcastle lately, even if i dislike them deeply.
in la liga are too many so-called stars as ronaldo and his bunch, who are earning millions from image rights and pretending to play football. football is not anymore what it was, it's stronger and more decided and straight. what they are doing is - sometimes - just dancing around the ball, as one of our jounalists said abour figo at the latest WC.
but i would like to see more matches from D1 (france) ... many red cards, many penalties, many unexpected results ... you have to be a tough soul to resist wathcing those :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++
i see that we finally agree concerning something, tom : we both like the blaugrana club :)
thank god
i thought this would never happen
Because of certain guy called Haji?;).

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
:yuck:
actually it's hagi :p and he played for real
popescu played for barca and was its captain
but no, that's not the reason
the reason are exactly those dutch :D
like cruijff and neeskens and so on :touched:

bahraini

May 20, 2003
what history are you talking about??
is to better tha R.madrid, ac milan, juve?????

even liverpool has better history than then in the
CL , and the english football....

i agree with you alex, i never could understand what they see
about this club....

if they like the city , let them visit it :p

or maybe we are the blind people here.:confused::cool:

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Great article nina :thumb:

As a neutral fan I understand why Barca is regarded as a 'grand' team .. for reasons mentioned by me as well as others .. but I'm sure Madrid fans would never understand them (or maybe they just don't want to!!)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Face it or not guys, Barça was a team of more legends than Juve for example. It has the biggest stadium in the world and one of the most passionate fans. The whole city Barcelona is a sport city, since they not only have a good football team, but also a great basketball team (current europian champs) and handball team. And their history is not all that ordinary.

++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
You know, you just gave me another reason to hate Real.:D.
That was exactly my first reaction when I read it :D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I agree Jun-Hide. Even though they`re more spectacular, I prefer Serie A, though I do watch every weekened the Liga and EPL games

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
This is a personal view, but I think the big differance is in the leagues.

In Spain, the teams are technically gifted, and play an open attacking game. More importantly, the weaker teams play an open, passing game too, which makes the whole thing more entertaining, and lets the big teams play ball. When the little teams win, they do so because they have played better football on the day.

In England (for example), the weaker teams are taught to play deep, and to use the long ball combined with tough tackling to combat the big teams' strengths. This make the bigger teams in England more attack-minded too, and they learn how to pick open stubborn defences. This is why they can be more effective against Italian teams than the Spaniards.

The style of play makes Spain more attractive to South Americans, as do the language and the weather. Real are the traditional team everyone loves to hate, and Barca are their traditional rivals. Hence, South Americans love Barca.

The Dutch connection has already been mentioned, and has been in place since Cruyff signed for them in the 70s. Other Dutch players followed him, and a number of their managers have been Dutch. Van Gaal's team was a virtual Dutch enclave, as half the Dutch national team was lining out for Barca. So Dutch kids love Barca too.

Throw in the huge stadium, packed with 100,000 very noisy and passionate fans, their history of playing good football, and the fac that they represent a repressed nation to their fans... whoever said it first was right - it's more than a club.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
It bugs me how a lot of players these days seem to pick Barcelona as their dream destination. Riq, D'Ale, Van der Vaart and recently Robinho. Lots of others as well that I've forgotten about. Why Barcelona, what's so special about them? Why not Real, why not Milan or Juve? What has Barca got that is so great, a losing history with few glimpses of grandure? Milan practically ruled Europe. Sheesh...

Or do they just say that when they're asked about some rumour linking them to Barca? Or is Barca paying them to say it? What the hell is going on? :D

As for the Barca fans, you can respond if you can explain this rationally. :p
What I often hear in this country is that the Dutch history at Barcelona is very appealing. Also the attacking play of the Spanish Liga is something that's valued a lot over here, whereas they tend to look down on Serie A's defensive styles.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
mikhail, good post.:thumb:.

Just add a thing, though.
I think the biggest difference in Italian and Spanish futbol could be the mentality of small teams in home matches. In Italia, most of small teams tends to play conservatively despite home-field advantage, however, in Spain with teams like Malaga, small provincial side but well run, really goes for a win and often gets it.:). Nevertheless, both Spanish and Italian small teams play conservatively when away, which is naturally really.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)