WRC - Again cmon fellas let's do this :) (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Greece 7/6/2003

The Acropolis rally is living up to it's name of being the roughest Rally in the calendar after claiming 37 participants midway through. With 9 stages to go this figure is expected rise. The drama has been intense with the only consistent performance put in by the Estonian Markko Martin holding on to number 1 spot. However there has been a monumental battle for the rest of the positions. Watch this space. :)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Ali

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Where's DJ, Fabiana and the rest of the WRC crew? Come on guys let's have some fun .... this is a rally month :)

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Solberg is my man :) .... I just love his enthusiasm and he was doing pretty well today. Came to just 6.5 seconds from taking over the lead but a gearbox problem at SS10 cost him over a minute. He dropped to 4th but you have to admire the guy he's already eyeing 3rd spot with half a second separating him from McRae.
    Forza Solberg
    Forza Tommi
    Forza Subaru
    :D

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    The penultimate Day 3 is just about to start. With 3 stages being run twice there is no holding back. In the new points system the previous rallies have shown Day 3 to be one of caution but with the times so close this one will be a thriller. Solberg has promised to push for second since Sainz seems to be relaxing but El Matador might be having other ideas. McRae is pushing to get past Solberg and Makinen is wary of Burns at his rear while he also has McRae on his sight.
    The only one who seems to be "safe" is Markko Martin. Previous rallies have shown that the Ford Focus has a nasty habit of giving it up just before the finish just as it did a couple of weeks ago ...... Martin must have had a nighmarish night and the pressure to yield his first WRC win will definitely weigh heavily on the Estonian.

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    This rally is absolutely thrilling .... Just 1 more stage to go and nothing is settled yet. Nerve racking .... :scared:

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    Solberg did take 2nd on SS20 but Sainz has stormed back and reclaimed it on SS21 ......

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    Damn this is absolutely crazy ..... :D

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    Actually I can't take it anymore .... Have to go :scared:
    Forza Solberg :D

Will check the results later ..... Cheers :)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    So Solberg is third?

They do show the rally in Norway, but always at the weirdest times. I was really into it some time ago, it's great.

majj

Jun 4, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    Actually I can't take it anymore .... Have to go :scared:
    Forza Solberg :D

Will check the results later ..... Cheers :)
    i hope your not disappointed!

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    Yes he's 3rd. Sainz produced an amazing run in the last stage.
    You better get back ... it's getting more & more exciting Torkel :)

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by majj ] ++

i hope your not disappointed!

Go Solberg, Go Tommi, Go Subaru :thumb:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I think rally is more than just a sport, or at least it's less about the athletes and more about the supporting cast than most sports I know of. I can see how a person who's into building cars would love it. :) I mean driving through all kinds of terrain at insane speeds is one thing, but then the mechanics work long hours to restore the piece of rubble into something resembling a car, that's gotta be quite a challenge.. :D

Lately, whenever I see rally (which isn't often) I usually have a look, it surely tops f1 ;)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    Where's DJ, Fabiana and the rest of the WRC crew? Come on guys let's have some fun .... this is a rally month :)
    ah shite, i totally forgot...

nvm..i really hope sainz can catch up..dont really want Martin to win

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    Martin wins for Ford

Estonian Markko Martin scored an emphatic first ever World Rally Championship win at the 50th Acropolis Rally on Sunday, giving Ford their fourth successive victory in Greece.
    In hot and dusty conditions as temperatures reached 34 degrees Celsius, Martin easily held off Spaniard Carlos Sainz who finished 46 seconds behind.

"It's very, very good to finally win a world championship rally," Martin told the WRC website. "And it's especially good that it's with the new Ford Focus."

"It was clear that I needed a bit of luck. We knew that we had a car capable of winning. I thought I was capable. It was just a question of time."

"We're over the moon," said Beef Park, Martin's co-driver in the Ford Focus WRS 03. "I think it's overdue, but I would say that. It's like a numb feeling, we've dreamed of it so long."

The final stages proved to be dramatic as Norway's Petter Solberg battled in vain in his Subaru to snatch second place from Sainz in his Citroen.

After a see-saw final day Sainz held on under intense pressure from Solberg who had to be satisfied with third despite winning four of Sunday's six stages.

The Norwegian, who was 15 seconds slower than Sainz on the 21st stage after damaging both the front and rear of his car, was angry with Britain's Colin McRae after a clash on the stage.

Solberg was driving flat out to recover from a spin when he came across McRae's Citroen crawling along having lost power.

"He should have kept to the left or the right," the Norwegian said. "I lost a little bit early in the stage and more behind Colin. It was (rubbish) today.

"I am happy with third but at the same time disappointed because we lost second."

Championship leader Richard Burns finished fourth in his Peugeot after suffering with gearbox problems. Struggling with no second gear the Englishman set the second best time in the final stage, stealing fourth place from veteran former world champion Tommi Makinen.

Another Finn, Harri Rovanpera, took sixth place in his Peugeot, while France's Gilles Pannizi was seventh overall, also driving a Peugeot.

McRae, who had won the Acropolis Rally for the past three years, took the final drivers' championship point after finishing in eighth place.

Burns leads the championship with 37 points, five more than Sainz with reigning champion Marcus Gronholm third on 30 points after retiring from the Greek rally.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    crap

OP
    Ali

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I think rally is more than just a sport, or at least it's less about the athletes and more about the supporting cast than most sports I know of. I can see how a person who's into building cars would love it. :) I mean driving through all kinds of terrain at insane speeds is one thing, but then the mechanics work long hours to restore the piece of rubble into something resembling a car, that's gotta be quite a challenge.. :D

Lately, whenever I see rally (which isn't often) I usually have a look, it surely tops f1 ;)
    :thumb: :cool:
    Martin you are right about the team involvement. There's the fact that for any works car to be in the WRC the company must have plans to produce atleast 5,000 (Not sure about the number) units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)