World's fastest personal computer!!! (1 Viewer)

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
here some info 'bout the world's fastes personal computer:
____

The Power Mac G5 is the world’s fastest personal computer and the first with a 64-bit processor — which means it breaks the 4 gigabyte barrier and can use up to 8 gigabytes of main memory. The new G5 processor — available at speeds up to dual 2GHz with a new ultrahigh-bandwidth system architecture featuring AGP 8X and PCI-X — makes the Power Mac G5 a breakthrough in desktop processing power. And models start at just $1999.

How fast is the world’s fastest personal computer?
The new Power Mac G5 throttles past both the fastest Pentium 4 and a dual-processor Xeon workstation when tested using industry standard SPEC CPU 2000 benchmarks — SPECfp_base2000 and SPECint_base2000 measure the speed of a single task — either a floating-point calculation or an integer calculation — executing on a single processor. The “SPEC rate” metrics, which recognize multiple processors, more accurately demonstrate the performance of a dual processor system. The results (see chart below) should make your pulse race just a little bit faster.

Ready for the real world
The PowerPC G5 processor dramatically accelerates performance in real world applications, too. When compared head-to-head against the same PCs, in a large series of Photoshop tests the dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 is 2.2 times faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system and almost twice as fast as the dual 3.06GHz Xeon-based system. Additional performance tests reveal similar performance gains for professional music and audio creation, and scientific analysis of genetic research.

Bandwidth to burn
The Power Mac G5’s ultra-high bandwidth system architecture features a 1GHz frontside bus — one on each processor — for maximum throughput. And a point-to-point system controller lets data move directly between subsystems, without affecting processor function.

PCI-X expansion
The Power Mac G5 comes with three PCI-X slots, giving you the benefit of the newest advance in PCI technology. The PCI-X protocol is perfect for high-performance PCI devices, increasing speeds from 33MHz to 133MHz and throughput from 266MBps to 2GBps.

High-speed AGP 8X Pro graphics bus
Compared with the AGP 4X interface, the Power Mac G5’s AGP 8X Pro graphics bus effectively doubles the maximum transfer rate and doubles the amount of data transferred in a single AGP bus cycle. The 66MHz AGP 8X Pro bus strobes eight times per clock cycle, achieving a 533MHz data rate and a maximum bandwidth of 2.1GB per second — ideal for the ultrafast graphics cards it ships with, like the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

FireWire 800, USB 2.0 and high-performance I/O
The Power Mac G5 ships with a FireWire 800 port and three USB 2.0 ports (plus two USB 1.1 ports on the keyboard). Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire, USB 2.0 and optical digital and analog audio are all integrated through two bidirectional 16-bit, 800MHz HyperTransport interconnects for a maximum throughput of 3.2GB per second.

Three powerful models
The Power Mac G5 product line comes in three muscular configurations — 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and a dual 2GHz model. They all feature the legendary SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) as standard equipment across the line. And of course they come with two FireWire 400 ports, three PCI expansion slots, ADC connector, DVI connector, analog audio in, analog audio out, optical S/PDIF in, optical S/PDIF out, front headphone and speaker jack and built-in Gigabit Ethernet — all as standard equipment. All models are AirPort Extreme-ready, and offer Bluetooth capability as a build-to-order option.

if u're interested in the speed tests - check out this page:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

and this is just the beginning!!! apple and intel will push the processor to 3ghz until the end of the year... then 2 of them in one computer.... that rules!!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I think things will get pretty interesting when Intel & AMD release their 64bit processors.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That's very nice, Max! 64bit, 8x AGP, Gigabit ethernet :cool:

But I'll take my chances on an AMD Clawhammer if you don't mind. ;) If I remember correctly, they also plan to ship a clawhammer mobile version for laptops. :cool:

Btw, I'll tell you what I would do with a G5, I'd get a dozen of them and run openmosix (cluster). :D

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
oh who cares? I mean really does anyone really care if they have slightly less gigabytes or half an inch smaller monitor or..

ohh :groan:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I can see it now when they see a hot chick in a bar

"hey cutie, do you wanna come back to my place and have a play with my 66MHz AGP 8X Pro bus strobes?"

:howler:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
I can see it now when they see a hot chick in a bar

"hey cutie, do you wanna come back to my place and have a play with my 66MHz AGP 8X Pro bus strobes?"

:howler:
I've heard that always works :D

OP

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    i don't wanna open a new discussion...
    BUT
    macs are better.... (speed, design)
    the OS is better....
    it's a rumour that they're more expensive (TCO)....
    the apps are better....

about the apps... i heard that adobe announced that adobe premiere won't be available in future for mac... that's the evidence.. mac software is better.... fcp and avid xpress (i think both not available for pc) are better....

and that's not the only app... dvd studio pro is only one in the long list... and think of itunes the best mp3-player.... together with the ipod, the best and best-selling mp3 player an unbeatable combination....
    the success has been so gr8 that itunes will be even available for the pc together with the sucessful MusicStore....

apple is excellence, innovation & brilliant design....
    plz fabiana-juve take a tour through the products and pics at www.apple.com
    trust me u will be impressed...

discover the beauty of mac os x jaguar (and panther - the new one...)....
    there are so many great ideas and innovations in it.. (that u'll find in windows in future releases as they always tend to steal the genius ideas...)
    ____
    ok, i won't comment on any response as i know that i'm right....
    + if u think that the TCO is completely nonsene (what is not true), notice that there are also more cheaper apple clones....

like we already said in a past topic one can compare a win-pc to a lada (car brand) and a mac to a mercedes, jaguar, ferrari, bmw or whatever u want....
    so if u want to stick with ur lada.....

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    maxmc i didnt read everything that you just wrote but mac isnt better. read their reasons on why switch: http://www.apple.com/switch and theyre just ridiculous. i can do all that with a pc. MACS DO CRASH, i have a friend (with who i always have this kind of discussion) that has an iBook with the OS X and her computer is always crashing, MSN messenger makes it crash, iTunes makes it crash, LimeWire makes it crash.

you can own your own digital center with windows xp too.
    macs are built for the internet? well so are PCs too
    most downloadable programs, and chat programs like yahoo, msn, etc. are always available, easier, better and they upgrade before for pcs. take for example the msn v6, my friend with the mac cant get it because a version for mac hasnt been released yet

i dont know why macs are more expensive i guess youre paying for the design, i havent tried the new one because it isnt in stores here yet. ive heard macs can handle big-design programs better, and i bet they do because pcs can barely handle paint shop pro and acrobat reader. plus, pcs are more organized, i like the two-button mouse, and windows might be very annoying but its easier sometimes. we had a mac here when i was little and i know how to use them, and i can use my friends macs, but if i had to choose between a mac and pc: i might sound ignorant and stupid but pc all the way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)