World Cup Qualifier: Moldova - Italy (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erkka ] ++
:angel::(:D:blah::boxing::cap::cheesy::confused:
:cool::totti::dazed::down::devil:
:dielaugh::doh::dontcare::drool:
:eek::embarass::excited:
:eyepatch::fero::flirt::fool::frown::geek::greedy:
:groan::heart::broken::howler::irritate::kiss:
:lazy::lick::LOL::mad::moan::mute::nasty::nervous:
:notlist::party::redface::rofl::rolleyes::sad:
:scared::shocked::sigh::skull::sleepy::):sob:
:star::stress::strong::stuckup::extatic:
:thumb::p:touched::undecide::wallbang:;)
:wth::yawn::yuck:
hardly funny

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
well, I didn't have anything to do... First I made one smiley, then other, etc, etc... Useless, isn't it...

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    Del Piero ready for Italy return
    Sunday 5 September, 2004

Alessandro Del Piero scored twice in today’s test and looks likely to make his comeback against Moldova on Wednesday.

The Juventus captain was ruled out of the 2-1 win over Norway due to a calf problem, but has now fully recovered. He bagged a brace in a game between ranks that mixed Italy players with Palermo’s youth team, while Bernardo Corradi scored the other goals in the 2-2 draw.

Del Piero seems set to start in next week’s game, as he was tested out in partnerships with both Corradi and Luca Toni. The Palermo forward did not score, but struck the woodwork twice.

Francesco Totti was on the sidelines after medical staff ruled he would not recover from a bruised ankle in time for Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier in Chisinau. He will return to Rome on Monday morning, when the rest of the squad flies out to Moldova.

“We used up a lot of psychological and physical energy during the Norway game,” explained Marcello Lippi, “so I will make five or six changes from that starting eleven, although I won’t be able to say which ones quite yet.”

Del Piero seems almost certain to step in for Fabrizio Miccoli, while Luca Toni might have earned himself a spot in the starting line-up after his winning goal against Norway.

Lippi was also at pains to point out that there was no favouritism for Del Piero or Totti.

“World class players are to be respected, but to give their best they must not have all the pressure on their shoulders. Nobody who comes into the Azzurri squad should be made to feel excessive responsibility.”

Former Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni came in for a great deal of criticism for singling out Totti as the centre of his squad, prompting disgruntled reactions from the other players.

“I spoke with Totti and there was no need to risk anyone if they are not 100 per cent fit, just as we didn’t risk Del Piero against Norway. Italy can manage perfectly well without them, as we showed on Saturday.”

:thumb: I was worried he wouldn't be ready for Brescia on Sunday so it's good to know that he's fit.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Dp is back :D:D:D.....

“World class players are to be respected, but to give their best they must not have all the pressure on their shoulders. Nobody who comes into the Azzurri squad should be made to feel excessive responsibility.”

I like that.... he meant Dp and totti...

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    Lippi thinks it's best that we play a 4-4-2 for now and Zambrotta is probably the best left winger Italy has, even though that's not his best position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)