World Cup Lounge (6 Viewers)

*Juventino*

I Love Juve
Nov 21, 2005
Ciao Amici...
tonight France - Portugal...

Which players of France or Portugal are having a yellow card already???
(so if they get another one, they are suspended for Italia match)
Names please:):)

I know Zidane is one of them

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
*Juventino* said:
Ciao Amici...
tonight France - Portugal...

Which players of France or Portugal are having a yellow card already???
(so if they get another one, they are suspended for Italia match)
Names please:):)
Ciao, tutt'a posh' a Napule? (ok so I can't spell it lol)

Zidane, Lilian Thuram, Patrick Vieira, Willy Sagnol, Louis Saha and Franck Ribéry will not play in the final if they pick up a yellow card tonight. I don't know about the Portuguese...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Erik-with-a-k said:
Ciao, tutt'a posh' a Napule? (ok so I can't spell it lol)

Zidane, Lilian Thuram, Patrick Vieira, Willy Sagnol, Louis Saha and Franck Ribéry will not play in the final if they pick up a yellow card tonight. I don't know about the Portuguese...
Where to start?

Ricardo, Valente, Figo, Carvalho, and Maniche.

Damn that I am at work and have to watch the taped game at home. I will disappear from these forums like Cinderella in a couple of hours to enter my self-imposed media blackout a la Juve. :(

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
swag said:
Where to start?

Ricardo, Valente, Figo, Carvalho, and Maniche.

Damn that I am at work and have to watch the taped game at home. I will disappear from these forums like Cinderella in a couple of hours to enter my self-imposed media blackout a la Juve. :(
Better turn off your cell phone too: that's usually the one that gets me :lazy:

That, or the humongous digital screens in downtown The Hague that carry news headlines, weather and, of course, football results.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Erik-with-a-k said:

That, or the humongous digital screens in downtown The Hague that carry news headlines, weather and, of course, football results.
I was watching yesterday's Italy-Germany game at about a 5 minute delay on my PVR due to some poorly timed but necessary bathroom breaks. In the 115th minute my phone rings, and I knew to turn up the TV volume and let the answering machine pick up. Even so, they kind of blew it in that I knew from the timing that the match probably didn't go to PKs... :(

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Erik-with-a-k said:

Even in a nation that doesn't care about football (up until this year, of course), I've had spoilers fly at my from the most unexpected sources...

e.g. for the Germany vs Argentina match, I recorded it because I didn't have access to a television at the time it was played. I managed to get through an entire party and a day out with friends (making everyone vow not to tell me the result), then on the way home in the car, I was talking to my brother (who's a once-every-four-years football fan) and we were discussing the upcoming England-Portugal match when he says "I want to see England vs Germany"... :disagree:

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
portugal or france anyone?

i want to see france in the final, just for the sake of zidane as he deserves it. But i have this feeling that if france make it, they will win the title. And i want italy to win.

my prediction is france though, they impressed more than the portugese,their weakest link however is their coach

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
swag said:
I was watching yesterday's Italy-Germany game at about a 5 minute delay on my PVR due to some poorly timed but necessary bathroom breaks. In the 115th minute my phone rings, and I knew to turn up the TV volume and let the answering machine pick up. Even so, they kind of blew it in that I knew from the timing that the match probably didn't go to PKs... :(
Oh those delays can be lethal. I remember a friend of mine once followed a recipe on one of those cooking shows, by pausing it. So at some point she restarts it after having done something pretty final to the food, and the guy goes: "But before you do that..."

:howler:

gray said:
Even in a nation that doesn't care about football (up until this year, of course), I've had spoilers fly at my from the most unexpected sources...

e.g. for the Germany vs Argentina match, I recorded it because I didn't have access to a television at the time it was played. I managed to get through an entire party and a day out with friends (making everyone vow not to tell me the result), then on the way home in the car, I was talking to my brother (who's a once-every-four-years football fan) and we were discussing the upcoming England-Portugal match when he says "I want to see England vs Germany"... :disagree:
Oh that's a killer line, leaves NO room for doubt. At least when people go: "So what about Milan? Great result, huh?" you can convince yourself there are no conclusions to be drawn even though there usually are considering who says it and under which circumstances in the league...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Eric said:
Oh those delays can be lethal. I remember a friend of mine once followed a recipe on one of those cooking shows, by pausing it. So at some point she restarts it after having done something pretty final to the food, and the guy goes: "But before you do that..."

:howler:
:lol: that's gotta hurt

Eric said:
Oh that's a killer line, leaves NO room for doubt. At least when people go: "So what about Milan? Great result, huh?" you can convince yourself there are no conclusions to be drawn even though there usually are considering who says it and under which circumstances in the league...
Indeed, there are degrees of spoiling... though sometimes the subtle ones are pretty annoying as well. In this year's Champions League match against Bayern, a friend (whom I'd specifically told NOT to ruin the match for me) told me that it was a fantastic match... which totally ruined the surprise for me when Trezeguet scored the winner in the 85th minute :moan:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
gray said:

graham, do you call it football or soccer? Isn't soccer the standard name over there or is that just my impression?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I call it football when I'm talking to football fans, but for communication's sake I call it soccer when speaking with those less acquainted with the game.

Soccer is the standard name here, because there are other 'football codes', namely Rugby and Australian Rules Football. As of some time last year though, Australia officially adopted the worldwide name of 'football', and the "Australian Soccer Association" was renamed to "Football Federation Australia". The Aussie national team is still affectionately known as the "Socceroos".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Soccer/Socceroos-name-to-fade-away/2005/01/13/1105582652144.html

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
That just made me realise Dutch doesn't have a word for American Football, that's what we call it. As opposed to voetbal (soccer)...

Lingual shortcomings... at least the translation deficit annuls the confusion between the two sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)