World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (98 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think you consider 94 as a successful cup just because of the high attendance.but what benefits you will get from fans who don't understand the game properly?

Those American fans never made a change on the atmosphere of the matches.i remember during Brazil's matches,the camera was all the time focusing on that group of Samba girls,but no one paid attention to those American fans who were not even knowing the difference between a PK and a FK .
I don't expect you to understand, but even if zero Americans knew anything about the game, they still attended and became fans of it. The event was essentially the launch of soccer becoming a very mainstream sport in the US, and now the majority of kids here play it. World Cup 94 brought out what is good about our supposed melting pot of different cultures.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I guess he forgot about the USA - Brazil match up at the Rose Bowl. It was 100,000 plus full stadium with an electric atmosphere.

The craziest crowd I saw was at the Ireland - Italy group stage match up which I think was at The Meadowlands. When NYC stormed Jersey.

OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,044
    Who runs these diamond mines? Who employs the workers there? Where are the diamonds shipped to? I think you the know the answer to all the questions yet somehow the blood diamond trade should be held against them.
    Diamond companies such as De Beers. Diamond companies and gang leaders. Sierra Leone rebel gangs, mostly.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    The point being foreign policy is one thing, especially during war time, domestic policy being mistreatment of slaves is somewhat different. That happens on the doorstep of the tournament.

mistreatment of slaves?

You're using big words. You know that the term "slave" isn't meant literally here right?

Weren't there a fair few games with low attendances? Then there were the stories that local people couldn't afford going to the games due to the high ticket prices, except of course those games where they were let in for free (to at least get some people in the stands :D).
    I also read something about the bad treatment of the locals (both by Fifa & government), but I'm obviously not sure how true this is, since these kinds of stories always seem to pop up.

The only true things from that post were

1) The Qatari league has very low attendance rates.

2) Many games are free to boost attendance rates. In fact they sometimes bring in Indian and Pakistani laborers(Those nationalities look like Qatari's), and pay them to wear the teams kits and support :D

Obviously, high ticket prices were never an issue in Qatar, that is completely false, and what is even more laughable is, the locals not being able to afford match tickets :howler: Qatari locals are very rich people mind you, Qatar has one of the highest individual income levels in the world.

the bad treatment of the locals? :confused: what exactly do you mean by that?

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,046
    mistreatment of slaves?

You're using big words. You know that the term "slave" isn't meant literally here right?
    No, I mean there are actually people living in Qatar under conditions that most would defines as slavery.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    That it's very convenient to deny Sierra Leone the right to host a WC due to the blood diamond trade but those that run the very business and those that stand to gain the most from it, namely Western nations, are free to do so.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    No, I mean there are actually people living in Qatar under conditions that most would defines as slavery.
    Like the illegal immigrants in America and most of Europe?

Like the laborers of sweat shops in Asia, sweat shops that are used to supply Western corporations ala Nike?

Lets not get on our moral high horses so fast here, its easy to make it a "civilized west vs a barbaric east". The logic of "as long as its not in my backyard then its all good" doesn't fly if we were to be fair.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,051
    I was all for Sierra Leone to host it, but I think Nigeria are more likely as they have several oil billionaires.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,052
    Like the illegal immigrants in America and most of Europe?

Like the laborers of sweat shops in Asia, sweat shops that are used to supply Western corporations ala Nike?

Lets not get on our moral high horses so fast here, its easy to make it a "civilized west vs a barbaric east". The logic of "as long as its not in my backyard then its all good" doesn't fly if we were to be fair.
    Oh dear, this is taking a turn for the worse. I suppose you will be telling me hispanics in America are treated like slaves? The US and Europe really is a world away in terms of working and human rights, but that's going to a different issue.

You're talking about conglomerate workers being treated like 'slaves' - which is what all workers are treated like in many Asian companies, that is down to the country they live in and their direct supervisors and governers in those countries and not down to deliberate slave treatment by their western company owners. When you have a company in the US there are certain working conditions. When you have a company in Romania there are certain working conditions. When that company branches out to China or Thailand there are again different conditions. So for that reason look at how workers are treated in China or Thailand, or indeed, Qatar.

I'm talking about direct forms of slavery of immigrant workers on Qatari soil by individuals and companies. You will find nothing of the sort in the US on any kind of scale, to suggest so is preposterous.

Your last point is not my intention at all, I put a valid point across that I could cite many examples from internet sources and I'm sure you could magnify that by a thousand for the silent sufferers, and the best that pro-Qatar supporters can put forward is Nike has sweatshops in Cambodia, without addressing the point. I don't really care what goes on in these countries everyday, whether that is their culture or right or wrong, but when you send a World Cup there then the spotlight is on you and questions and issues need to be asked and addressed.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
    Korea & Japan was shit.

France98 was a success just because the loads of stars participated in it,but if u compare their stadia to the SA stadia for example,you'll find the South African ones are much better,most of the french stadia were dark with less than 40,000 capacity.

Germany:i'll give that one.

And South Africa 2010 > USA 94
    Never said Korea & Japan was great, but in my oppinion it was better than South Africa.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
    Well you can't blame the host country for any of those issues. FIFA knew about weather conditions. RSA was unfortunate to host a WC during a recession. FIFA didn't make as much as they expected too, neither did the organizing committee & the fact that the negative image surrounding africa put a lot of tourists off from coming over.

Had all the big teams made it to the quarter finals & all the big name players lived up to their reputation, the whole opinion over the tournament would have been different.
    That just prove my point. The WC should be placed in a country that can offer the best condition's and if it is Germany, they could host it two times in a row, for all I care.

(I don't blame South Africa for the ball :smile:)

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,055
    I don't think it needs to be in the same country two tournaments running, there are several countries that could host a World Cup next week in terms of stadia and infrastructure for example.

I guess for FIFA now they want to risk a few things. If what Byrone says is true then they will be looking to make some serious money in Russia and Qatar, more high risk high reward moves, one can only imagine the numbers being floated around.

Apr 12, 2004
    What people don't know about the Qatari World Cup is that it is all a hoax.
    What people don't know about the Qatari World Cup is that Muslims are just better people.
    What people don't know about the Qatari World Cup is it's great to have all of Europe in a VW Lupo.
    What people don't know about the Qatari World Cup is all women will have to walk beside their men in handcuffs.
    What people don't know about the Qatari World Cup is that in Qatari, as in all Mid East cultures, football games will be put on hold for a mid day prayer, and if you don't pray (looking at you, LAMPARD) there will be Fatwas out the ass.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    I bet that the vast majority of football fans in the Arab world think the 1994 World Cup was the worst, most despicable event ever. Yet they probably didn't even watch it.
    thats not true, at least for me. wc 94 is easily my favourite to date. i enjoyed it the most!! in second place is a tie between wc 2006 and wc 98. i dont remember wc 90 very well i remember egypts games and teh final as i was 6 :D so no andrew the 94 is not the worst its the best i've seen to this day.

the wc 2010 was a great world cup, i did'nt enjoy the group stages for sure but thats not south africa's problem at all. i think the mean reason wc 2010 did'nt grow up on me as i expected had a lot to do with the ball and the vuvu :D but the stadiums where top notch and u have to give it to south africa for pulling a great job with the organization specially when u consider the amount of bs that was thrown at them even before they started working on the final touches of organizing it.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
    I don't think it needs to be in the same country two tournaments running, there are several countries that could host a World Cup next week in terms of stadia and infrastructure for example.

I guess for FIFA now they want to risk a few things. If what Byrone says is true then they will be looking to make some serious money in Russia and Qatar, more high risk high reward moves, one can only imagine the numbers being floated around.
    Not what I said. For all I care, Germany could host it two tournaments running. It was brilliant.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 98)