World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (73 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Just average, nothing above standard, on the pitch and off it. So South Africa had a complete security lockdown for a few weeks off the pitch to deal with the large potential of trouble, that's not a great achievement, there were some minor issues with journalists treated badly but I don't think many of us will feel sad there. In terms of fans they mostly seemed to have a great time but then South Africa is a fantastic country when you look at all aspects (yes I have been), with some great people, even if the cocky humour sometimes gets lost on foreigners. I don't think fans will ever have a bad time at a World Cup overall, after all, they have all paid a lot of money for the privilege so you are looking to make the most of it.

In fact on the pitch it was considerably below standard, and as that is what 99.9% of the audience is made up of (the average tv viewer) I would say it made it an average World Cup. Whether that applies to the host I don't know, just as much the ball I would say, it was awful. An then of course the vuvuzelas.
No. You're bitter because Italy & England failed miserably. IMO it was great to see so many shock results & it made for an unpredictable event.

How teams perform is not the host countries problem, the official ball is not the host countries problem. Vuvuzela's were brought to FIFA's attention way before SAFA even began bidding for the WC, so if you wanna use that as an excuse, you can blame FIFA for not banning it. As for the empty seats in certain stadiums, you have to realize that FIFA fucked up there, they priced these tickets according to the European demographic which put the average person out of contention to buy them. Many federations & companies bought bulk tickets to butter up investors & those weren't even used.

What a lot of you guys don't realize is that FIFA, has complete control over the event.There were many street vendors that couldn't make a profit off the WC because FIFA wanted royalties for every damn thing.

One thing the organizing committee failed with was adequate transport & security for broadcasters.Other than that, the even was a complete success & it just doesn't sit well with certain doom merchants & africa bashers. Saying the WC was average off the pitch when you weren't even here during the WC smacks of ignorance. The english media reported the most outrageous bs about SA & the average englishman obviously ate that up. I'm not putting you in that category because i know you're a smart & sensible person.

That being said, do you guys realize how many foreigners were arrested? I'm not talking about africans. There were many europeans & south americans arrested for fraud like making fraudulent insurance cliams, selling fake tickets & accommodation.Not to mention human & drug trafficking. Funny how no mention of that was made in your local newspapers, it's only important to highlight how unsafe & backwards this country is.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
How teams perform is not the host countries problem, the official ball is not the host countries problem. Vuvuzela's were brought to FIFA's attention way before SAFA even began bidding for the WC, so if you wanna use that as an excuse, you can blame FIFA for not banning it. As for the empty seats in certain stadiums, you have to realize that FIFA fucked up there, they priced these tickets according to the European demographic which put the average person out of contention to buy them. Many federations & companies bought bulk tickets to butter up investors & those weren't even used.
You don't say. How many did you buy? :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No. You're bitter because Italy & England failed miserably. IMO it was great to see so many shock results & it made for an unpredictable event.

What a lot of you guys don't realize is that FIFA, has complete control over the event.There were many street vendors that couldn't make a profit off the WC because FIFA wanted royalties for every damn thing.

One thing the organizing committee failed with was adequate transport & security for broadcasters.Other than that, the even was a complete success & it just doesn't sit well with certain doom merchants & africa bashers. Saying the WC was average off the pitch when you weren't even here during the WC smacks of ignorance. The english media reported the most outrageous bs about SA & the average englishman obviously ate that up. I'm not putting you in that category because i know you're a smart & sensible person.

That being said, do you guys realize how many foreigners were arrested? I'm not talking about africans. There were many europeans & south americans arrested for fraud like making fraudulent insurance cliams, selling fake tickets & accommodation.Not to mention human & drug trafficking. Funny how no mention of that was made in your local newspapers, it's only important to highlight how unsafe & backwards this country is.
I agree. That this World Cup was below average had nothing to do with South Africa. Had we seen a couple of brilliant games, we would still be going on and on about how an African World Cup was marvellous. South Africa were not at fault at all here.

The highlighted part makes me want to throw up.

OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,010
    The english media reported the most outrageous bs about SA & the average englishman obviously ate that up. I'm not putting you in that category because i know you're a smart & sensible person.
    There was very little negative feedback from the English media, the team copped all that. Only the issue of one journalist who was basically kidnapped, wrongfully arrested and charged with a non existent crime by some joker police chief who was trying to prevent him saying something negative about the police organisation.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    I agree. That this World Cup was below average had nothing to do with South Africa. Had we seen a couple of brilliant games, we would still be going on and on about how an African World Cup was marvellous. South Africa were not at fault at all here.

The highlighted part makes me want to throw up.
    Do you realize how they restricted most businesses from making money? Hotels, B&B'S had to pay royalties as well to use FIFA logo's & to be listed as official accommodation.

Any business that was located near any stadium couldn't operate within 50km using the WC theme or they had to pay royalties.

If anybody thinks the average person is going to make a killing during the WC, they're delusional, it's an event that brought to simply make the rich, richer than they are, simply put.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,013
    Sure, because you can't back up your outlandish claims.
    Actually because your first claim was outlandish and incorrect so it made me reading the rest of it worthless, although thanks to Seven quoting it I also read you again incorrectly claiming that the English media trashed the tournament which wasn't the case at all.

I don't rate a tournament based on how 'my teams' do, I rate a tournament overall. For example I enjoyed Japan-South Korea a lot even though my teams didn't do well, taking into account the bullshit which happened and the crap final. Maybe a tournament needs controversy on the pitch that doesn't revolve around a plastic football, makes it interesting. 2006 on the other hand was not a great tournament in terms of spectacle but was of a higher technical standard and of course ended on a special note, there were few good games but many commented on the superb hosting by Germany, as you would always expect from them. This summer I saw the worst World Cup on a technical level that I can remember, having watched since 1990. Might have had nothing to do with the organisers, but that doesn't mean it was nothing to do with the World Cup in terms of location.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Do you realize how they restricted most businesses from making money? Hotels, B&B'S had to pay royalties as well to use FIFA logo's & to be listed as official accommodation.

Any business that was located near any stadium couldn't operate within 50km using the WC theme or they had to pay royalties.

If anybody thinks the average person is going to make a killing during the WC, they're delusional, it's an event that brought to simply make the rich, richer than they are, simply put.
    Oh, I can verify that from my first-hand experience. No bar could show matches on the TV within 50km of a stadium without paying an additional licensing fee to FIFA, for example.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,015
    Sounds promising for the average Qatari or Russian, looks more like FIFA and the leaders of those states jacking each other off.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Actually because your first claim was outlandish and incorrect so it made me reading the rest of it worthless, although thanks to Seven quoting it I also read you again incorrectly claiming that the English media trashed the tournament which wasn't the case at all.

I don't rate a tournament based on how 'my teams' do, I rate a tournament overall. For example I enjoyed Japan-South Korea a lot even though my teams didn't do well, taking into account the bullshit which happened and the crap final. Maybe a tournament needs controversy on the pitch that doesn't revolve around a plastic football, makes it interesting. 2006 on the other hand was not a great tournament in terms of spectacle but of course ended on a special note, there were few good games but many commented on the superb hosting by Germany, as you would always expect from them. This summer I saw the worst World Cup on a technical level that I can remember, having watched since 1990. Might have had nothing to do with the organisers, but that doesn't mean it was nothing to do with the World Cup in terms of location.
    So how did the location contribute to the poor technical level?

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,017
    Any number of conditions can affect participants, especially when moved away from traditional football environments that most of these players play in (ie Europe), the same issues faced in Japan and Korea and likewise there will be different ones in Brasil and Qatar. Geography, pitches, catering, time difference, weather, what players can do in casual time, they are all different. And no I'm not saying every World Cup should be in Europe as a result.

Although I am of the opinion it was mostly down to the negative outlook from the coaches and pathetic match ball, the amount of shots and passes which were over-hit or miscontrolled was absurd. It made some of the best players in the world like like complete retards (note how many of the best players underperformed in this tournament) and teams who could play the football short rather than try longer passes and shots had a distinct advantage.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Any number of conditions can affect participants, especially when moved away from traditional football environments that most of these players play in (ie Europe), the same issues faced in Japan and Korea and likewise there will be different ones in Brasil and Qatar. Geography, pitches, catering, time difference, weather, what players can do in casual time, they are all different. And no I'm not saying every World Cup should be in Europe as a result.

Although I am of the opinion it was mostly down to the negative outlook from the coaches and pathetic match ball, the amount of shots and passes which were over-hit or miscontrolled was absurd. It made some of the best players in the world like like complete retards (note how many of the best players underperformed in this tournament) and teams who could play the football short rather than try longer passes and shots had a distinct advantage.
    Dude, outside of an aging, pre-retirement, no-active-endorsement Zidane in 2006, name the last World Cup or Euro where the "best players in the world" with all the endorsements didn't lay a massive turd at the Cup and on the Cup's advertising sponsors. :lazy:

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #1,019
    Well if you look at WC 2002 and the previous Ballon D'Or list from 2001 there were plenty of big names who did well in their own right (Kahn, Rivaldo, Owen, Raúl, Roberto Carlos) especially on the teams who went further, of course it mostly comes down to the team in general but isn't inclusive, look how crap Torres was this summer.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005

Many teams used altitude as an excuse but lets be honest here, many teams weren't up to scratch. Coaches made terrible choices, players were fatigued & off form.

All the team tried to acclimatise to the altitude level by going to places of similar levels. The French, Italian, Netherlands & USA national teams all went to extreme measures to acclimatise, weird thing is how the Spanish won the WC being the last team to arrive in SA.

As for the ball, i agree it was crap & i do agree that the altitude played a big part on the movement of the ball but once again, that FIFA's fault. They thought they were going to get a considerably high amount of spectacular goals.

Pitches were not an issue, not a single team complained about the state of the pitches here. I met representatives of various football clubs across europe & they actually gave the pitch quality a 9/10 rating.

Catering was covered by each national federation as they had complete control over the cooks & what food was prepared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 73)