World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (99 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm pretty sure they had heard about Qatar, don't act as if you have some god given right to judge because you are slightly more informed about Qatar. And it's not about them being bitter either I bet. I for one am relieved the World Cup won't be held in Belgium, so that's not why I disagree with both choices. One thing that does bother me is all the bullshit about alcohol. If Qatar decides to prohibit the use of alcohol, I think they have every right to.

Bullshit. Using the race card is so low. I couldn't care less about what race gets to organise the World Cup, it's a global event anyway. But human rights violations are everywhere in Qatar and therefore I think it is obvious that they should not be allowed to host the World Cup. I think that's a very sensible opinion.

Western countries have their fair share of human rights violations, its just that with freedom of press and all you guys can't do it in your own backyard. Doesn't stop you guys from going to countries like India, Phillipines, African countries and having your own share of exploitation and human rights violations.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I never said they didn't.

But at the very least they aren't blatant. And they're not happening right in front of millions of people watching the World Cup. If FIFA are serious about their human rights campaigns, this World Cup cannot go to Qatar.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005

But at the very least they aren't blatant. And they're not happening right in front of millions of people watching the World Cup. If FIFA are serious about their human rights campaigns, this World Cup cannot go to Qatar.
andries care to explain the bold part?? bec the way i get it means that during the world cup in qatar u wont be watching footie but instead violations of human rights?? is that what u meant or am i off the point.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

That doesn't make it that much better. Countries go through an evolution process, it wasn't that long ago when the West were blatantly violating human rights both in their own backyard and outside, but your countries have evolved since then, and while admittedly in this day and age, middle eastern countries are moving at a snail's pace in that respect, they will get there eventually.

Lets not forget that Hitler's Germany were given the Olympics in 36 too, i'm sure even you would agree that there is no comparison between Germany in the 30's and Qatar.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yes.. the way I recall it there was a wee bit of criticism towards the 36 Olympics.

I don't like how American corporations are exploiting the situation in Iraq, and America has invaded two countries in the present decade too, which makes them responsible for the deaths of so many people, imo they're worse than Qatar if you want to make it about politics.

OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #933
    I don't like how American corporations are exploiting the situation in Iraq, and America has invaded two countries in the present decade too, which makes them responsible for the deaths of so many people, imo they're worse than Qatar if you want to make it about politics.
    The US World Cup wouldn't be held in Iraq or Afghanistan, although I'm sure FIFA have considered the idea.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    The US World Cup wouldn't be held in Iraq or Afghanistan, although I'm sure FIFA have considered the idea.
    Thats not the point, Seven said that the world cup shouldn't be given to countries that blatantly violate human rights. I responded by saying that if we follow that criteria then the US should be last on the list of possible hosts.

phew, I thought you would do something a lot more drastic...
    :D

Congrats to Kuwait btw, they won the gulf cup.

Dusan, remember you asked me about a Kuwaiti player called Anzi? He played in this tournament and he was one of the best players, he's 19 and he is indeed very talented, a Cristiano Ronaldo look-alike(in terms of playing style) he's a very fast winger and a really good dribbler. There is only one problem however, he is a "Bedoon"(not to be confused with "bedouin"), which means he has no official documents and has no nationality or passport. He was given a temporary Kuwaiti passport to play with the NT, but i hear they might take it away from him if he decides to leave for Serbia, which means he will go back to having no passport, which consequently means he can't travel anywhere.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    When did I say the US deserved the World Cup?

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    Congrats to Kuwait btw, they won the gulf cup.

Dusan, remember you asked me about a Kuwaiti player called Anzi? He played in this tournament and he was one of the best players, he's 19 and he is indeed very talented, a Cristiano Ronaldo look-alike(in terms of playing style) he's a very fast winger and a really good dribbler. There is only one problem however, he is a "Bedoon"(not to be confused with "bedouin"), which means he has no official documents and has no nationality or passport. He was given a temporary Kuwaiti passport to play with the NT, but i hear they might take it away from him if he decides to leave for Serbia, which means he will go back to having no passport, which consequently means he can't travel anywhere.
    Fred, He's both I believe :D Most of his relatives are living in Saudi Arabia.

Congrats to Kuwait, totally deserved. I just followed the first half, and it was one of the most boring 45 minutes in the history of all sports!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Fred, He's both I believe :D Most of his relatives are living in Saudi Arabia.

Congrats to Kuwait, totally deserved. I just followed the first half, and it was one of the most boring 45 minutes in the history of all sports!

Well ya, most of the bedoon are bedouins anyway :D

You guys have them in Saudi Arabia as well, right? Would you mind explaining to me the reasoning why they don't get passports?

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    Well ya, most of the bedoon are bedouins anyway :D

You guys have them in Saudi Arabia as well, right? Would you mind explaining to me the reasoning why they don't get passports?
    We don't have 'Bedoon' problems in Saudi Arabia, at least not like other gulf nations.

It's really complicated. It goes back to the 50's and 60's when Bedouins didn't think that they need to register for a national Kuwaiti ID. Well, after several years, they realized it's an essential thing to have in order to get involved in everything (schools, hospitals and other public services).

Kuwaiti authorities couldn't possibly recognize which bedouins were actually Kuwaitis or just Saudis who moved to Kuwait later on.

In Saudi Arabia, the government gave the Saudi nationality to a lot of Kuwaitis and Qataris 'Bedoon' in the past, and they're still doing it.

It's not right, but I think it'll get sorted out soon in Kuwait. At least I wish it'll.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 99)