World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (112 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Qatar has a STRONGER footballing culture than you or Australia.

logistics? have one of the finest airlines in the world, and they have a decade to put everything in place.

personal freedoms? Asif put it quite well, and even then, there will be significant leeway...there wouldn't be so many white people here already otherwise.

personal safety? you have nothing to worry about, US military has a base there as well, so it's all good.

why I'm happy about it, I already stated it, I have no undying affection for Arabs otherwise.
Ahmed, I usually agree with a lot of your posts, but Qatar having more of a football culture than Australia?

ROFL.

Absolute hogwash.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #682
    Yeah that was pretty weak, you only have to think about the emigration factor with Australia to know that it both predates Qatar by many decades and the culture from immigrant European families, football heartlands, was transferred to Australia and mixed with it's own national sports.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Since some people were forced to recognize that the world includes places outside of their backyard.

For any of us dependent on a paycheck, we're all slaves. :pado:
    Ah, cultural relativism. Pretty in theory, but oh so ugly when one thinks things through. Qatar blows. It's a place that has nothing to offer but money and is built by "employees" who in reality are slaves. Not every place in the world has to be like Europe or the USA, but democracy and respect for human rights are the bare minimum we should ask of a country hosting the World Cup.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Ahmed, I usually agree with a lot of your posts, but Qatar having more of a football culture than Australia?

ROFL.

Absolute hogwash.
    Yeah, the football culture brought to Australia by the Italians and the Balkans probably puts Australia ahead of Qatar in that regard.
    I guess he wanted to say that football is no.1 sport in Qatar and it's not in Australia.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Yeah that was pretty weak, you only have to think about the emigration factor with Australia to know that it both predates Qatar by many decades and the culture from immigrant European families, football heartlands, was transferred to Australia and mixed with it's own national sports.
    Fuck you. You could have waited 2 minutes before posting this :D

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    And TBH, I did not expect for one second for our bid to win. We are Australia. In the middle of nowhere, no politcal clout, no influence or members on any FIFA commitees (and no resources such as oil and gas), little old dinky di Australia...but I assure you if we had the World Cup we would put on a fucking spectacular show.Sold out crowds, beautiful cities, gorgeous locations and warm friendly people. Everything a World Cup host country should have.

But I always thought it was going to be USA 2022, and I would not have been unhappy with that...I just cant stomach Qatar getting this tournament. They barely follow any of the so called criteria FIFA set out (and were graded as high risk two weeks ago) yet EVERYBODY here and around the world knows why they got this tournament.

If FIFA are going to continue in this manner, than I dont want us to waste our time with these greeedy money grabbing cock suckers anymore. Take your World Cup and stick it.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    And yep you're both right Alen and Jay.

Football was first played in this country in the mining city of Newcastle (2 hours north of Sydney) in the late 1880's. Migrants from Italy/Balkans/Greece/Turkey etc have brought their love and passion for the game with them even before the start of WW2. Yes it is not the number one sport here, but Isnt that the whole point of the World Cup to leave a lasting legacy in the host country and to spread the game of football? Imagine the 12 year countdown in my country, all the young kids wanting to get involved, playing football, taking more of an interest in the local league...the effects and benefits would have been enormous. Football is still the most played sport in this country right now. ANd we've actually qualified for 3 World Cups (twatting Qatar many a time along the way)...Qatar have done absolutely FUCK ALL in their footballing existence.

Its just sad that we'll never have a WC here in my lifetime, even though we deserve it. Oh well. The Asian Cup will be in Qatar next month (Jan 2011) for those interested. I hope we play Qatar and fucking slaughter them.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I reckon it's different if you live in Australia, but I never wanted a World Cup in Belgium. After all.. I know Belgium. The tournament would annoy me more than anything else probably. And that's with me being a football fan, so never mind the others. No, I like Brazil and the idea of being able to make it a trip.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    I just cant stomach Qatar getting this tournament. They barely follow any of the so called criteria FIFA set out (and were graded as high risk two weeks ago) yet EVERYBODY here and around the world knows why they got this tournament.

If FIFA are going to continue in this manner, than I dont want us to waste our time with these greeedy money grabbing cock suckers anymore. Take your World Cup and stick it.
    Why do you guys see it that way. Personally i think its refreshing to see the world cup in such a place like Qatar. Its a challenge for them and they're capable of succeeding in that challenge.

Qatar isn't as big or well-known as countries like the US or Australia. But this tiny country really worked hard atleast for the last 3 years to promote the world cup and they've done everything possible to win that bid.

Plus why would they need to bribe the Fifa officials to win that bid ? They've got one impressive File perhaps even better than the others.

They've already hosted the Asian Games in 2006 and it was hugely successful. They've proved that they're capable of organizing tournaments and big events.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #692
    Not being funny but why would it be refreshing to have it in Qatar when it has just been in South Africa, how much refreshment do you want? :D

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #693
    Of course it's always worth remembering how far about 2022 is, never mind further bids.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Ah, cultural relativism. Pretty in theory, but oh so ugly when one thinks things through. Qatar blows. It's a place that has nothing to offer but money and is built by "employees" who in reality are slaves. Not every place in the world has to be like Europe or the USA, but democracy and respect for human rights are the bare minimum we should ask of a country hosting the World Cup.
    The UAE isn't all that different. And the slave argument is a funny one, as I was thinking about that in Dubai. Clearly a lot of people are getting lower-wage jobs by emigrating and sending money back home. This happens between, say, Central America and the U.S. as much as it does the UAE and India and Malaysia. The difference is mostly about the definition of citizenship.

In the U.S., the immigration policy is a bit of don't-ask/don't-tell, as we hate the immigrants but love the lower labor costs. In places like Qatar and the UAE, it's above the table. The good news is that a lot of the criminal issues of an illegal market are avoided. The bad news is that while you can have so many immigrants openly working in the country, as in the UAE, at the same time they can never become citizens. (Well, only the wife of a UAE citizen -- never men.) Which is a better system?

Cultural relativism for sure. But you could argue that the system in the Middle East towards migrant labor at least doesn't make the act of providing foreign labor illegal as it is in the U.S. Even if immigrants stand a chance to naturalize in the U.S. but virtually never in the UAE. Which one is a fairer system by human rights? You start throwing bricks in glass houses if the US were to start using that argument.

And let's face it -- not every nation on this planet gets to be Italy. But that is how the world is, that is what's part of the world, and denying those differences is to close off exposure to what it means to be a true world sport.

And TBH, I did not expect for one second for our bid to win. We are Australia. In the middle of nowhere, no politcal clout, no influence or members on any FIFA commitees (and no resources such as oil and gas), little old dinky di Australia...but I assure you if we had the World Cup we would put on a fucking spectacular show.Sold out crowds, beautiful cities, gorgeous locations and warm friendly people. Everything a World Cup host country should have.
    Dude, fuck the Chinese -- I thought the Sydney Olympics were the best summer games thus far. And don't worry -- Australia will get the World Cup eventually.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    no we just find it odd that a country that no one know of footballistically and smaller than michael jordan's backyard gets to organize the world cup. It is in all senses as ridiculous as some billinonaire buying nauru and winning the bid to organize the winter olympics there. I will stop my whining when anyone outside the area confirms they know someone famous from there thats how big of a joke this thing is. Fuck fifa for trying really hard to ruin this game.
    :tup:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    Why do you guys see it that way. Personally i think its refreshing to see the world cup in such a place like Qatar. Its a challenge for them and they're capable of succeeding in that challenge.

Qatar isn't as big or well-known as countries like the US or Australia. But this tiny country really worked hard atleast for the last 3 years to promote the world cup and they've done everything possible to win that bid.

Plus why would they need to bribe the Fifa officials to win that bid ? They've got one impressive File perhaps even better than the others.

They've already hosted the Asian Games in 2006 and it was hugely successful. They've proved that they're capable of organizing tournaments and big events.
    You call it "working hard"...

I call it bribing officials, corruption and collusion.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Yet, you insulted an entire country. In fact, insulted the neighboring countries as well. Saudis, Kuwaitis and Qataris are closely connected more than any other Arabian people. I have close relatives in Kuwait, Qatar and even Abu Dhabi. You don't go around insulting nations.

:rolleyes:

:D

Do you like to moan about reps and show it to all members? I felt you insulting a country and its people deserves a -rep just like I felt your jokes in the funny threads deserved a +rep.

Deal with it.

:lol: Where are you living man? Qatari people, in particular, are in love their sheikhs.

Exactly :tup:

Do you want us to replace the idiotic sword dances with the 'Dabka'? That certainly will make it a better WC. :andyandbarcelona:

Here we go, again :sergio: Man, I feel you now, you have a miserable life. Can you talk football for a second?
    I'm not moaning, but if you were a man, you would have insulted me here, not in the coward rep sentences.

I don't have a miserable life. It is too bad you think of anybody else in the region as inferiors to you just because they are not from the Gulf countries. You need centuries to understand what I say here. I know.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    And yeah our Summer Olympics were fucking awesome. Massive crowds, shitloads of tourists, and just a fantastic buzz around Australia that was infectious at the time. I look back really fondly on those days.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    no we just find it odd that a country that no one know of footballistically and smaller than michael jordan's backyard gets to organize the world cup. It is in all senses as ridiculous as some billinonaire buying nauru and winning the bid to organize the winter olympics there. I will stop my whining when anyone outside the area confirms they know someone famous from there thats how big of a joke this thing is. Fuck fifa for trying really hard to ruin this game.
    It's odd, I totally agree with Deneb. Yet I love how much this bugs him. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 112)