World Cup 2022 LIVE thread (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
The order is indeed easy to agree on.

I think the biggest game in international football is probably Italy - Brazil though. Obviously there have been huge games between Italy and Germany or Germany and Brazil, but Italy - Brazil has had the most memorable games. 1970, 1982, 1994... They also have two very conflicting styles of play, which only adds to the imagination.
Argentina - Germany is just as big if not bigger

1986, 1990, 2006, 2010, 2014

They met in 3 WC finals and in 2 KO rounds, might have forgotten earlier encounters. So much history between these two

But the biggest rivalry is probably Brazil - Argentina as Xperd says

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Messi has only stayed in the NT because of his name and even his first 2 games were terrible, a brave coach would've benched him like Ronaldo. Granted, he stepped up for the knockouts, any other player would've been riding the bench for the whole tournament like Ronaldo.

Also, Argentina is made around Messi, he is allowed to walk around for most of the game without fear of substitution. His ego is hidden whereas Ronaldo is transparent in that respect. Messi is in the GOAT category, incredible player of course but the guy seems like a dickhead.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Messi has only stayed in the NT because of his name and even his first 2 games were terrible, a brave coach would've benched him like Ronaldo. Granted, he stepped up for the knockouts, any other player would've been riding the bench for the whole tournament like Ronaldo.

Also, Argentina is made around Messi, he is allowed to walk around for most of the game without fear of substitution. His ego is hidden whereas Ronaldo is transparent in that respect. Messi is in the GOAT category, incredible player of course but the guy seems like a dickhead.
That's one heavy ass tampon you just dropped

Juve92

Jan 18, 2016

Also, Argentina is made around Messi, he is allowed to walk around for most of the game without fear of substitution. His ego is hidden whereas Ronaldo is transparent in that respect
. Messi is in the GOAT category, incredible player of course but the guy seems like a dickhead.
:tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Even if you were right (you're not), wouldn't the facts demonstrate that Scaloni was right in not benching Messi for the knock outs?

I mean, what exactly is your point? That a worse coach would have excluded him and that Argentina wouldn't have won the World Cup in that case?

May 26, 2016
@GiocataGrande felicidades hermanito. Bien merecido!
Muchas Gracias :heart:

There was a lot of controversy with this tournament. From FIFA Corruption to LGTB and the Qatar stuff etc so it will always be remembered for controversy in history.

But the actual football was great imo. It had upsets, some great matches and imo one of the best finals ever. Messi winning it has a Disney/Fairytale vibe to it but i think it was deserved.

It will be interesting to see what the next debate will be and how the next generation will be going forward: most likely Haaland vs Mbappe, but watch out for others such as Musiala/bellingham also.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Messi hit form and his best international form at the best time but that was after shocking performances in the group stage. Had he not hit form, he'd still play all the games and like each of his previous losses in international tournaments, fans would turn on him and he should be judged like other players. It paid off and we'll done to him but perhaps if he were subbed against Germany they should've won that one. Remember when Ronaldo9 played the final after his seizures?

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
Messi hit form and his best international form at the best time but that was after shocking performances in the group stage. Had he not hit form, he'd still play all the games and like each of his previous losses in international tournaments, fans would turn on him and he should be judged like other players. It paid off and we'll done to him but perhaps if he were subbed against Germany they should've won that one. Remember when Ronaldo9 played the final after his seizures?
But isn't that what the best players do or the best teams do? Hitting form at the right moment and when it actually matters.
Look at Spain starting the group stage with 7 - 0 trashing or England who consistently put 3 goals but none of them reached the final

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
The whole Argentina became very good, Messi was that little extra you need ie. putting away his penalties in such high pressure situations. Spain and England don't have that high level a player. Argentina had a number of outstanding players, the keeper being the MVP or they don't get near the final.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
The whole Argentina became very good, Messi was that little extra you need ie. putting away his penalties in such high pressure situations. Spain and England don't have that high level a player. Argentina had a number of outstanding players, the keeper being the MVP or they don't get near the final.
Don't understand the point you're trying to make. Football is team game and individual like Messi who happens to be better than the rest of his teammates did what he does best which was making difference.
Argentina proved to be the best and Messi too. It's fully deserved

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Ah well on reflection I think I'm ready to let go of being a Messi hater. The cult around him especially in the media makes me sick, but everything the media touches turns to shit.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ah well on reflection I think I'm ready to let go of being a Messi hater. The cult around him especially in the media makes me sick, but everything the media touches turns to shit.
Hate is usually a strong word for anything football related, but I truly hated Barcelona when they dominated. It didn't even have to do with their playing style (which I was not a fan of), but the incredible hypocrisy of that organisation. They wanted to play without a shirt sponsor, because it wasn't about the money. But then they whored themselves out to fucking Qatar and got that on their shirt anyway. They were about pretty football, but besieged the ref any chance they got. They were about sportsmanlike behaviour, but always bitched when they lost. Messi was very much a part of that system and I couldn't stand any of it.

Argentina are no hypocrites though. They are aggressive motherfuckers and show it any chance they get. Maybe I'm not their biggest fan. But that's okay. At least they're honest. I still don't like Messi, but I've never come as close to liking him as I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)