World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (105 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
:D

It's pretty dumb, but we all do dumb shit when we're happy, no?

I think Griezmann's L celebration is a bit too antagonising though. I get that it's from some game, but it doesn't just look silly, it's also insulting.
:agree: I'm not familiar with the game but he is making an L on his forehead meaning loser and doing a jig. Really seems like a taunting celebration and something a 14 y/o is too old for

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:agree: I'm not familiar with the game but he is making an L on his forehead meaning loser and doing a jig. Really seems like a taunting celebration
Yeah. I honestly believe Griezmann isn't too aware of it. He's a bit of an idiot. His entire 'feeling Uruguyan' thing almost got Suarez a heart attack and rightfully so. But there doesn't seem to be much malice in the guy.

Still, I think the celebration has got to go.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah. I honestly believe Griezmann isn't too aware of it. He's a bit of an idiot. His entire 'feeling Uruguyan' thing almost got Suarez a heart attack and rightfully so. But there doesn't seem to be much malice in the guy.

Still, I think the celebration has got to go.
meh there was nothing wrong with what he said and Suarez is a cunt for being mad about it. Is he not half Uruguayan and if he was raised and feels that way who the hell is Suarez to tell him he isn't?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
meh there was nothing wrong with what he said and Suarez is a cunt for being mad about it.
Again. I'm sure it's in good faith. But I'd take that as very belittling. Imagine we play the US and you come out and say you like us and feel Belgian 'at heart' I'd be angry too. It's the equivalent of saying you feel black.

But, I do understand his sentiment behind it. You can't blame him for not being very eloquent.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Again. I'm sure it's in good faith. But I'd take that as very belittling. Imagine we play the US and you come out and say you like us and feel Belgian 'at heart' I'd be angry too. It's the equivalent of saying you feel black.

But, I do understand his sentiment behind it. You can't blame him for not being very eloquent.
No it isn't because I am not half black.

Because Griezmann lived in France does not mean he wasn't raised familiar with Uruguayan culture by his parents. At the end of the day I doubt Suarez knows anything about Griezmann's life or past so if he had half a brain he would've kept his mouth.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh really? I thought I read that he was and that was what this was all about? :boh:
No. It's because he likes Godin. And I'm not even joking. It's Godin and some other Uruguay player he knew early on in his career. He said he felt Uruguyan because they always treated him well.

But, like I said, he basically just needs a PR man.

To prevent him from blackfacing as a Harlem Globetrotter.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
No. It's because he likes Godin. And I'm not even joking. It's Godin and some other Uruguay player he knew early on in his career. He said he felt Uruguyan because they always treated him well.

He really did haha, almost forgot about it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh really? I thought I read that he was and that was what this was all about? :boh:

Still Uruguayan is a culture and not a race no? I think you can adapt to a different culture but obviously you can't change race.
I don't know. What would you think if I said I felt American? Such a weird thing to say imo. And that's with American culture being everywhere.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

Forgot about the blackface :lol: :lol: Yea he is one of those famous people that needs a personal manager to approve or deny his behavior.

What I find odd is that there was nobody around someone as big a star as him to pull him aside. Did he not tell anyone what he was dressing up as? Nobody warned him?

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I don't know. What would you think if I said I felt American? Such a weird thing to say imo. And that's with American culture being everywhere.
It's really no big deal. It's kind of dumb but I doubt it would grab any headline in the US if a non-American says those words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Forgot about the blackface Yea he is one of those famous people that needs a personal manager to approve or deny his behavior.

What I find odd is that there was nobody around someone as big a star as him to pull him aside. Did he not tell anyone what he was dressing up as? Nobody warned him?
What makes it even more odd is that most of Griezmann's friends are black. He has this entire bromance thing going on with Lacazette (who by the way must be what Alexandre Dumas would have looked like had he played professional football).

But he is funny. He's got the same kind of silliness Balotelli has, only he isn't completely mentally scarred and it's all in good spirit.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I wouldn't consider you to be one but i wouldn't argue about it or care.

It's not like we have much a strongly defined or homogeneous culture anyway.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's really no big deal. It's kind of dumb but I doubt it would grab any headline in the US if a non-American says those words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the opposite here would not be appreciated at all. It would come across as belittling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 105)