World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (35 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nope, just a loss for Belgium.

Move the fuck on, it's been days already and you still pmsing all over this thread.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Belgium is irrelevant. We will either win one of the next two big tournaments or we won't. And that will be that.

But this World Cup was a joke. And so was the 2014 one. And the 2010 one. The last half decent World Cup was in 2006 ffs. And that's what happens when the best parts of games are either ruined because they aren't effectively played or because teams are too scared to concede, because they know there is no time to recover.

But I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want the rules to change. It would mean Sweden would be punished obviously.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andries is starting to sound like me and VAR. :seven:
Don't even get me started on VAR.

The idea is good, but clearly we need a couple of years of experience to make it work.

What annoys me the most about this World Cup is that so many of you call it 'interesting'.

You know what 'interesting' really means? Boring.

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
Belgium is irrelevant. We will either win one of the next two big tournaments or we won't. And that will be that.

But this World Cup was a joke. And so was the 2014 one. And the 2010 one. The last half decent World Cup was in 2006 ffs. And that's what happens when the best parts of games are either ruined because they aren't effectively played or because teams are too scared to concede, because they know there is no time to recover.

But I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want the rules to change. It would mean Sweden would be punished obviously.
What do you mean with these WCs being a joke?
For a specific country you support or in general?

It is true that the recent World Cups might be more tactical then 'freestylish football skills', but that decision burried some of the top class teams in this WC who failed in group stages already.
So Teams who were not over-strategizing kind of got forward - except France of course, but they have high quality TEAM line up (players work great as TEAM !). Teams who have great individual skill should be let to more of 'freestyle' / 'freedom' football style of play and they'd succeed more (Brazil, Spain, ..).

I even think Croatia got so far because players alone kind of developed the freedom way of playing - not following exact instructions by the coach. But we always see in their matches how the struggle soo hard to break free! Until they start to lose and probably say in their heads 'f**k it! We need to win this, s**ew ball possession and passes!' and suddenly they start to play better.

I noticed more and more this full-strategic plays in World Cup which is for some countries really ridiculous to attempt. But that's how it is. I also question certain players how motivated are they to represent and fight for their country - while most of the WC players are swimming in millions from their Club career, they probably don't feel the passion for playing for their country, hence they know, even if they lose, they will return to their lambo and villa's far away from their birthland.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What do you mean with these WCs being a joke?
For a specific country you support or in general?

It is true that the recent World Cups might be more tactical then 'freestylish football skills', but that decision burried some of the top class teams in this WC who failed in group stages already.
So Teams who were not over-strategizing kind of got forward - except France of course, but they have high quality TEAM line up (players work great as TEAM !). Teams who have great individual skill should be let to more of 'freestyle' / 'freedom' football style of play and they'd succeed more (Brazil, Spain, ..).

I even think Croatia got so far because players alone kind of developed the freedom way of playing - not following exact instructions by the coach. But we always see in their matches how the struggle soo hard to break free! Until they start to lose and probably say in their heads 'f**k it! We need to win this, s**ew ball possession and passes!' and suddenly they start to play better.

I noticed more and more this full-strategic plays in World Cup which is for some countries really ridiculous to attempt. But that's how it is. I also question certain players how motivated are they to represent and fight for their country - while most of the WC players are swimming in millions from their Club career, they probably don't feel the passion for playing for their country, hence they know, even if they lose, they will return to their lambo and villa's far away from their birthland.

In general. I actually believe 2014 and 2010 had correct winners. Spain, as much as I dislike them, were by far the best team at the time. So was Germany in 2014. If France win it on Sunday, you could argue they're the correct winners too, as they have the strongest selection (though are one of the worst teams imo, because they allow luck to be a factor when they should be the fucking Real Madrid of countries).

But there have been too few entertaining games. Which games from 2010 do you remember as being great? From 2014? Not too many. The same will happen with this tournament. Tbh for myself I see only Belgium-Japan and Belgium-Brazil as entertaining in the knockout phase and even there I suspect it is because I am Belgian. France-Argentina was a bit too onesided for my liking, but at least it had goals. The best game, by far, happened in the group phase and was Spain-Portugal.

It's also no coincidence that all three of the last World Cup finals have gone to extra time, with only Italy-France having seen goals before ET (and even then they were from a penalty and a corner kick).

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
In general. I actually believe 2014 and 2010 had correct winners. Spain, as much as I dislike them, were by far the best team at the time. So was Germany in 2014. If France win it on Sunday, you could argue they're the correct winners too, as they have the strongest selection (though are one of the worst teams imo, because they allow luck to be a factor when they should be the $#@!ing Real Madrid of countries).

But there have been too few entertaining games. Which games from 2010 do you remember as being great? From 2014? Not too many. The same will happen with this tournament.
You are right, i cannot remember those matches. I personally remember the 1998 World Cup, because of great success of Croatia (our neighbors) and then 2002 in South Korea / Japan, I liked the Brazil play. In 2006 I mostly remember the final, because of Zidane's red card.
But as you said, you are totally right, no World cup stood out in my memory. I believe that perhaps the right Team won, but cannot even remember for these years who won, without checking it online.

I think we miss passion in today's Country Football competitions. Players are more passionate when playing for their club than their country. OR it could be that the coaches cannot figure out how to connect these individuals (which in these days are more and more of professional players) into one Team.

I remember this WC Portugal, Argentina and Egypt ... as soon as one of the players in these countries got the ball, he would immediately seek for Ronaldo, Messi or Salah to pass it on .. even forcing the ball to them!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You are right, i cannot remember those matches. I personally remember the 1998 World Cup, because of great success of Croatia (our neighbors) and then 2002 in South Korea / Japan, I liked the Brazil play. In 2006 I mostly remember the final, because of Zidane's red card.
But as you said, you are totally right, no World cup stood out in my memory. I believe that perhaps the right Team won, but cannot even remember for these years who won, without checking it online.

I think we miss passion in today's Country Football competitions. Players are more passionate when playing for their club than their country. OR it could be that the coaches cannot figure out how to connect these individuals (which in these days are more and more of professional players) into one Team.

I remember this WC Portugal, Argentina and Egypt ... as soon as one of the players in these countries got the ball, he would immediately seek for Ronaldo, Messi or Salah to pass it on .. even forcing the ball to them!

We miss passion, because every game is about two teams constructing a brick wall in front of their goal. And it makes total sense. The World Cup only comes around every 4 years. And you know that if the other team scores, it will be very difficult to do something, because they'll waste time, they'll destroy the momentum, they'll basically make football impossible. So what do teams with top players do? They keep 9 players behind the ball and give it to their star player who then has to create.

It's like every fucking team out there is suddenly Italy EURO 2000.

Croatia, with all their flair and fancy, played two awful games against Denmark and Russia. Those will not be remembered imo. They needed extra time against England too. Because they (and rightfully so I might add) were too scared to attack England. France played a great game against Argentina, a poor one against Uruguay and an even more defensive one against Belgium. Their road to the World Cup final won't be remembered either.

Either we start changing the rules to make this sport somewhat appealing again or we're in for a whole lot more of this shite.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
France winning games like this is a loss for football. And it will continue to be, until we finally stop the clock.

At which point all of you morons will realise that games suddenly become more fast paced and enjoyable to watch.

Btw, Mandzukic pulled the same exact shit yesterday. This isn't a problem with France.
Lot of people view anytime juve wins as a loss fir football too

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Lot of people view anytime juve wins as a loss fir football too
Definitely. And I can understand that to some extent. Though, and I'm not sure if everyone agrees here, I think we have actually stepped away from negative tactics under Allegri. We have the occasional game where we do play that way (the games against Tottenham come to mind), but usually we don't. We also very rarely resort to pure time wasting. If anything it's more used against us imo.

I think in Madrid for instance we could have gone for the ET by stalling and we didn't.

Jun 6, 2015
Don't even get me started on VAR.

The idea is good, but clearly we need a couple of years of experience to make it work.

What annoys me the most about this World Cup is that so many of you call it 'interesting'.

You know what 'interesting' really means? Boring.
Maybe should stop watching football if you find it so 'boring' and 'annoying'. I certainly wouldn't watch if it brought me such negative feelings.

I know it might be hard to acknowledge but your subjective opinions aren't the be-all end-all facts of life you want them to be. You'd find life much easier if you just understood that your opinions won't always be shared by everyone else.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Maybe should stop watching football if you find it so 'boring' and 'annoying'. I certainly wouldn't watch if it brought me such negative feelings.

I know it might be hard to acknowledge but your subjective opinions aren't the be-all end-all facts of life you want them to be. You'd find life much easier if you just understood that your opinions won't always be shared by everyone else.

Oh I watch Juve, CL and I watch the World Cup. Anything else I will only watch highlights of. Precisely because 90 minute games are boring as hell.

I won't bother responding to your immature ad hominem which really brings nothing to the table at all.

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018

Actually, psychology is quite tricking me here :D

Such gameplay as we described here makes me angry with the team and players, even though I support them. But this is a bit addictive, for sure I will turn on TV and watch another game of this same Team in hopes of seeing them perform better. Similar like playing games, usually players who play competitive and lose a game, they immediately start another, since they want to perform better in next round / next chance.

But even if there is 1 game out of 10 that is performed really well - that one game is soo rewarding that you forget all the bad stuff and praise your club / players to highest levels as possible!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Such gameplay as we described here makes me angry with the team and players, even though I support them. But this is a bit addictive, for sure I will turn on TV and watch another game of this same Team in hopes of seeing them perform better. Similar like playing games, usually players who play competitive and lose a game, they immediately start another, since they want to perform better in next round / next chance.

But even if there is 1 game out of 10 that is performed really well - that one game is soo rewarding that you forget all the bad stuff and praise your club / players to highest levels as possible!

Everyone puts on the tv for World Cup games and hopes for the best, but the reality is over 90% fail to deliver for all sorts of reasons. We all hope for a very entertaining France-Croatia final, but deep down we all know it will be the same shitefest we've had all tournament long.

And then you'll get the people calling it 'interesting' or a 'tactical showdown'. It will be no such thing. It will just be boring.

Jun 6, 2015
Oh I watch Juve, CL and I watch the World Cup. Anything else I will only watch highlights of. Precisely because 90 minute games are boring as hell.

I won't bother responding to your immature ad hominem which really brings nothing to the table at all.
I find watching football quite enjoyable, sadly it's too time-consuming to watch as much nowadays. Everything Juve related already takes the bulk of my allocated football time.

Could have worded it a bit better probably but the point still stands. Trying to force-feed your opinions to other people just doesn't work and rarely results in anything constructive.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I find watching football quite enjoyable, sadly it's too time-consuming to watch as much nowadays. Everything Juve related already takes the bulk of my allocated football time.

Could have worded it a bit better probably but the point still stands. Trying to force-feed your opinions to other people just doesn't work and rarely results in anything constructive.

Watching football will always be enjoyable to some extent because it's the sport we love and the sport most of us play or have played ourselves. But there are a whole lot of games in which nothing of note happens. Long stretches of well.. Nothing. And you can't really blame the teams, because it's the easiest way to getting a good result. You can't blame Crotone for timewasting from the start in a game against Juventus. It's the likeliest way to a draw.

But that's why I think the rules need to be changed. And the last three World Cups really reinforce my idea.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty fucking ballsy to come out and say that right before the biggest game in the sport though. He doesn't seem to be too concerned about jinxing his own performance.

Jun 6, 2015

This is probably right :D Big bulk of football fans have to have some masochistic tendencies, no other way to explain supporting Inter for example.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's pretty fucking ballsy to come out and say that right before the biggest game in the sport though. He doesn't seem to be too concerned about jinxing his own performance.
He's starting to become one of my favorite players. After all the crap he gets, he's still got balls the size of melons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)