World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (21 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It's the other way around though. The French, as always, expect to be universally liked. They see it as their birthright or something.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
yeah, but this is tuz and there are no french peeps here and only a few here probably have some interaction with french football fans and press and know what you're talking about. so you're not making a lot of sense for those who just appreciate a Juve legend Didier Deschamps going for that big trophy :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
and at the beginning, we didn't have subs at all either. but since football went global, only minor things changed.

the predictable duration of the game also makes football so marketable. that's one of the reasons why you have all sorts of tv companies buying champions league matches, and that's why you don't often see tennis, nfl or handball on non-sport cable channels. tv companies wouldn't pay the same money for a 38-55 minute first half. now there's an uncertainty of 2-3 minutes in the duration of a 90-minute football match, and that's as good as any sports event gets. nobody in football would trade that for less play acting - and play acting would still exist to stop the game in case your team needs some rest.
NBA games are quite predictable though. I don't think much would change in terms of tv slots. If anything I'd think it would take up less time, because the timewasting is gone and players focus on playing.

You'd probably get 2x30 minutes in about 80 minutes of viewing time.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
yeah, but this is tuz and there are no french peeps here and only a few here probably have some interaction with french football fans and press and know what you're talking about. so you're not making a lot of sense :D
Yeah, I guess maybe my perception is a bit warped because I do have that interaction.

Though I must admit I always hate it when annoying behaviour is called professional. I disliked Mandzukic yesterday just as much as Matuidi the day before, even if I'm Supermario's biggest fan.

And somehow everyone here seems to be a fan of this sort of behaviour. I guess that's the thing that bothers me the most.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
A couple of teams have tried that this World Cup, since they found out the rule that you are allowed to score if every opposition player is off the field.
isn't it the ref who should restart the game after a goal?

- - - Updated - - -

It's the sort of bullshit the French (and their fans too apparently) do. They feel you have to like them. If you don't like the French, they consider you subhuman.

They're really not a likeable people.

I bet that if everyone on this forum spoke French, they'd be far more hated than the English.

i speak french :shifty: :D i went to a bilingual school and did visit france on a couple of occasions. we always were the inferior little commie kids who had to be presented with advanced technology like a tape recorder or a door handle. :D (it did happen to one of my class mates in champagnole.) and when our french host kids arrived to hungary, they were surprised to discover that we don't live in tents, and the country can be pretty similar, with some ladas instead of peugeots.

you being some belge, must have gotten an even worse treatment from them :D yeah, it's not so easy to like them if you know them.

their football team is full of talent, though. it's a well deserved final for france. i hope they lose it to mandzukic.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
isn't it the ref who should restart the game after a goal?

- - - Updated - - -

i speak french :shifty: :D i went to a bilingual school and did visit france on a couple of occasions. we always were the inferior little commie kids who had to be presented with advanced technology like a tape recorder or a door handle. :D (it did happen to one of my class mates in champagnole.) and when our french host kids arrived to hungary, they were surprised to discover that we don't live in tents, and the country can be pretty similar, with some ladas instead of peugeots.

you being some belge, must have gotten an even worse treatment from them :D yeah, it's not so easy to like them if you know them.

their football team is full of talent, though. it's a well deserved final for france. i hope they lose it to mandzukic.
:D that totally seems like something French people would do. They generally do act as if everyone around them is retarded.

What I find most astonishing is that many of the reasons why the English are so unliked are present in the French too, yet they are pardoned for it.

As for their team.. I am honestly disappointed. I had them down as World Champions, but not quite like this. I expected them to change tactics after 2016, but they went further down the rabbit hole. I think they're playing a dangerous game, because they'd be doing so much better if they just played from their own strengths.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The debate about time wasting is not about France though. I even hate it when Juve do it. I think it's a disgusting part of the sport.

Isn't time wasting just part of those dark arts you guy hold with such high esteem?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
An epic demonstration of dark arts to be remembered forever.
To be fair though much of Italian football in the recent past is possession based. Juve for example do play from a very strict organisation, but time wasting or other trickery has become less and less prevalent in Italian football imo.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Many Juve fans think it's awesome, yes.

I fucking hate it. Always have, always will.
Yo you hate all dark arts or only time wasting?

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair though much of Italian football in the recent past is possession based. Juve for example do play from a very strict organisation, but time wasting or other trickery has become less and less prevalent in Italian football imo.
I don't think that has much to do with what Jay and I were saying.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yo you hate all dark arts or only time wasting?
I hate most dark arts. You can't be a fan of Materazzi insulting Zidane's mother for example. Sure, it's "smart" and Zidane is "stupid" to react. But it's not something I'd ever do myself on a football pitch and I think the sport would be better off without it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that has much to do with what Jay and I were saying.
I thought you meant it would be something typically Italian.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I hate most dark arts. You can't be a fan of Materazzi insulting Zidane's mother for example. Sure, it's "smart" and Zidane is "stupid" to react. But it's not something I'd ever do myself on a football pitch and I think the sport would be better off without it.
I agree. The telenovela is my least favorite part of the game.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Stfu and accept the loss like a man.
Btw for people saying France's behaviour was normal and not unsportsmanslike and the game is okay as it is:

https://www.eldo.co/analysis/world-...t-belgium-with-a-master-class-in-wasting-time

The author of the article rightfully concludes:

France's time wasting was utterly ridiculous.

Maybe you lot want to spend the next 30 years of your lives watching professional athletes waste time. Personally I'd rather watch actual football. The rules need changing.
Stfu and accept the loss like a man already.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Stfu and accept the loss like a man.Stfu and accept the loss like a man already.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

France winning games like this is a loss for football. And it will continue to be, until we finally stop the clock.

At which point all of you morons will realise that games suddenly become more fast paced and enjoyable to watch.

Btw, Mandzukic pulled the same exact shit yesterday. This isn't a problem with France.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
France winning games like this is a loss for football. And it will continue to be, until we finally stop the clock.

At which point all of you morons will realise that games suddenly become more fast paced and enjoyable to watch.

Btw, Mandzukic pulled the same exact shit yesterday. This isn't a problem with France.
Neither France nor Croatia won because of time wasting, so it's not as big of a problem as you want it to be.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Neither France nor Croatia won because of time wasting, so it's not as big of a problem as you want it to be.
I never said they did. In part they do though. Croatia definitely. There was no time left after they scored, even though about 10 minutes were still on the clock.

But timewasting in general has a very deep effect on the game. Let's say we play Crotone. They will do this from the very first minute. If you stop the clock, there simply is no timewasting. Imagine how much more enjoyable football becomes, if you force Crotone to play ball.

Personally I find watching 90 minutes to very often be a borefest these days. I get to see Crotone's goalkeeper tie his shoes. Then Crotone's number 9 is on the floor for a while. Their fullback suddenly doesn't know it's his job to take throw ins... It's just horrendous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)