World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (20 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
to be fair with matuidi, he was basically knocked out by hazard, and probably had a concussion. he should have been substituted right after that collision.

imho introducing the net match time would create controversy, and it wouldn't go down too well with the tv companies either. the consistent and simple rules in football is one of the most appealing aspect of the game for the masses. no need to change the format, just employ more consequent refs and instruct them better.
We've changed the rules to prevent time wasting before. That's why you can't pass the ball to your goalie anymore now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don't know. I've pretty much hated the way the French play for 20 years. They'd be the worst world champion since.. France 1998.

I can't fathom why anyone would like their NT and I understand even less why anyone would respect their highly chauvinistic press. The only reason people here find them less disgusting than the English is that they don't speak French and can't understand what they're saying.

obviously because you're a small man, who is not capable of simple things :p

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
We've changed the rules to prevent time wasting before. That's why you can't pass the ball to your goalie anymore now.

and offside rule was changed a couple of times too, along with the rules for red card offenses. also, we had golden goal, silver goal, 4th sub for the extra time, and the green card is being tested in lower leagues worldwide. those are minor things compared to the duration of the match.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, what is it you like about them? And not just this team. But the 1998 one, the 2006 one or even the 1984 one.

All of them have been consistently horrible.

The one saving grace of French football has been Zidane. But even with him they won the World Cup through negative football and a truckload of good fortune.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
and offside rule was changed a couple of times too, along with the rules for red card offenses. also, we had golden goal, silver goal, 4th sub for the extra time, and the green card is being tested in lower leagues worldwide. those are minor things compared to the duration of the match.
Not really imo.

We used to not have cards. That's easily as big.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
he's a football fan like anybody else here, hence not 100% consequent and rational about everything. for one, when i was a kid, i never liked german, english or russian nt's: the germans had awful haircuts, the english played ugly football, and the soviets had soldiers in our backyard. so what.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
If you think it's a normal part of football and you don't think steps should be taken to get rid of it, you are arguing in favour of it.

You should visit your local carpet store and restack on tampons.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
he's a football fan like anybody else here, hence not 100% consequent and rational about everything. for one, when i was a kid, i never liked german, english or russian nt's: the germans had awful haircuts, the english played ugly football, and the soviets had soldiers in our backyard. so what.
It's the sort of bullshit the French (and their fans too apparently) do. They feel you have to like them. If you don't like the French, they consider you subhuman.

They're really not a likeable people.

I bet that if everyone on this forum spoke French, they'd be far more hated than the English.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
A couple of teams have tried that this World Cup, since they found out the rule that you are allowed to score if every opposition player is off the field.
You mean on the field or..?

I genuinely don't know what the rule is about this. I always assumed they had to wait until the ref whistled.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Well, what is it you like about them? And not just this team. But the 1998 one, the 2006 one or even the 1984 one.

All of them have been consistently horrible.

The one saving grace of French football has been Zidane. But even with him they won the World Cup through negative football and a truckload of good fortune.

I'm not a fan per se, I just sympathize with their balanced approach, unlike you I think it has a lot to do with coach, football in general imo is a lot about coaching.

imo they have the best goalie currently, their biggest strength is bulldozer midfield and I'd welcome Pogba and Kante anytime at Juve, would love to watch them week in week out, Mbappe and Griez are both fun guys to watch in attack, Mbappe has incredible technique and vision for a 19yo and Griezmann is the center of their team. The only two players of theirs who I don't like to watch are Giroud, who can't get his head straight and keeps under performing even for his standards and Pavard, who is their one major weakness in defense.

I didn't like France much before, 2016 Mbappe-less version with Pogba crumbling under pressure also wasn't as convincing as this one, although they did deserve to win that tournament more than anyone else.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not a fan per se, I just sympathize with their balanced approach, unlike you I think it has a lot to do with coach, football in general imo is a lot about coaching.

imo they have the best goalie currently, their biggest strength is bulldozer midfield and I'd welcome Pogba and Kante anytime at Juve, would love to watch them week in week out, Mbappe and Griez are both fun guys to watch in attack, Mbappe has incredible technique and vision for a 19yo and Griezmann is the center of their team. The only two players of theirs who I don't like to watch are Giroud, who can't get his head straight and keeps under performing even for his standards and Pavard, who is their one major weakness in defense.

I didn't like France much before, 2016 Mbappe-less version with Pogba crumbling under pressure also wasn't as convincing as this one, although they did deserve to win that tournament more than anyone else.
I understand.

Those are the same reasons I have some sympathy for this France. Though I suspect for me it's mostly about Griezmann.

Both as a football nation and as a people my dislike for them runs deep though. Mbappe's antics with not giving the ball back are some of the most French things I've seen all season. Especially his comments afterwards.

Anyway, my dislike for the French certainly does not stem from the fact they beat us. It is way way deeper than that :D.

I also really hate that they brought themselves in the same situation they were in in 2016. Their entire tournament rests on being lucky in the final imo. If they lose, and everyone can lose a final, they've played shit football for no good reason at all.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Not really imo.

We used to not have cards. That's easily as big.

and at the beginning, we didn't have subs at all either. but since football went global, only minor things changed.

the predictable duration of the game also makes football so marketable. that's one of the reasons why you have all sorts of tv companies buying champions league matches, and that's why you don't often see tennis, nfl or handball on non-sport cable channels. tv companies wouldn't pay the same money for a 38-55 minute first half. now there's an uncertainty of 2-3 minutes in the duration of a 90-minute football match, and that's as good as any sports event gets. nobody in football would trade that for less play acting - and play acting would still exist to stop the game in case your team needs some rest.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ah I did not know that.

I'm not sure it's about morals. Athletes will do whatever they can to win. If the rule allows it, it's the rule that needs changing.

If Italy did it it'd be an epic masterpiece of forward thinking.

Oh well, England got beyond the level this team is.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
And thats okay, however itd be strange if you expected everyone else to disike the Germans because Rudi Voller had stupid hair :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If Italy did it it'd be an epic masterpiece of forward thinking.

Oh well, England got beyond the level this team is.
This forum is very biased towards certain teams. I definitely have my bias too. But I was quite surprised to see England called cheaters. I don't like them at all, but I think there are teams that are so much worse when it comes to cheating that it is a very unjust accusation.

When you look past the press (and most fans) the players themselves have even been quite admirable in pre and post game interviews. The only painful exception was Pickford.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And thats okay, however itd be strange if you expected everyone else to disike the Germans because Rudi Voller had stupid hair :D
It's the other way around though. The French, as always, expect to be universally liked. They see it as their birthright or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)