World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (41 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
I am picturing an England - France final with France to win it all.

England are surprisingly well balanced too. This England side are actually well organized, can defend and have a number of fresh young players who weren't a part of previous English choking generations.

I think they are mentally in a better place than past England tournament teams. They came in with far less expectation and therefore pressure than past teams and they had a great opportunity to get the initial nerves out of the way by beating up on Tunisia and Panama.

In the end France will beat them though simply because their lineup is on a whole different level.

England look really hungry, and have a natural striker in Harry Kane who is expected to score every game. As retarded as the Media and some of English fanboys are, credit still needs to go to the team they have established. You somehow get the feeling with everything gone their way so far, that this year is theirs.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
England look really hungry, and have a natural striker in Harry Kane who is expected to score every game. As retarded as the Media and some of English fanboys are, credit still needs to go to the team they have established. You somehow get the feeling with everything gone their way so far, that this year is theirs.
Everyone in the WC semis is "really hungry". This isn't any advantage for England. I struggle to understand the odds for England to beat Croatia (every betting site has an England win much more likely than a draw or a CRO win) or the articles (English and non-English) where England are considered (strong) favorites.
It's a 50-50 match since it's a semifinal, and the only advantage for England is the fact that Croatia played 30 more minutes. Croatia has the technical advantage, experience and players who have already won big tournaments or played important finals in their lives. Also, the excellent passers in midfield and the fast attackers in Croatia are much more likely to shine against a non-defensive team (see Argentina).

Perhaps the English media believes that the players will do better if they are super confident, while the betting sites are simply lowering the odds due to the many bets by the English on their NT win, but I don't find it logical to consider England favorites. They are the 4th best team in the semifinals. They could win the WC, but they are the 4th best of the remaining 4.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
To be fair though Croatia looked much better in the group stages then they did in the past two games. Could have lost against either Denmark or Russia who are much worse teams than anyone they will face from now on

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Everyone in the WC semis is "really hungry". This isn't any advantage for England. I struggle to understand the odds for England to beat Croatia (every betting site has an England win much more likely than a draw or a CRO win) or the articles (English and non-English) where England are considered (strong) favorites.
It's a 50-50 match since it's a semifinal, and the only advantage for England is the fact that Croatia played 30 more minutes. Croatia has the technical advantage, experience and players who have already won big tournaments or played important finals in their lives. Also, the excellent passers in midfield and the fast attackers in Croatia are much more likely to shine against a non-defensive team (see Argentina).

Perhaps the English media believes that the players will do better if they are super confident, while the betting sites are simply lowering the odds due to the many bets by the English on their NT win, but I don't find it logical to consider England favorites. They are the 4th best team in the semifinals. They could win the WC, but they are the 4th best of the remaining 4.
In answer to your odds:

You have to take into account Croatia have been less than convincing vs denmark and russia, whilst england made short work of a similar level side in Sweden.

England have the leading goalscorer in Harry Kane

England's defence is perhaps marginally better than croatia's especially when you take into account strinic will suffer against sterling and trippier

Are england a non-defensive team? I don't believe so I still think they have a bit of shape about them, they will give away chances from time having only kept one clean sheet in this tournament are they good enough to outscore croatia? I think they could especially on the set pieces in this tournament highlighted Croatia's weakness to defend them and england's strength scoring from them.

Finally the mental factor... Billic has been saying throughout this tournament how Croatia do not play well under mental pressures, in the past england have done the same but they've over come some real hoodoo's this tournament, winning the shoot out vs colombia being one

If I had to put my money on it? I'd go with the england win and the bookies are right to have england as the favourites on this, if anything I think the odds might shorten just a bit more closer to kick off.

If it's any consolation @Alen england are the home team for this and there for won't be wearing their 'lucky' red shirt for this, that's been confirmed

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Finally the mental factor... Billic has been saying throughout this tournament how Croatia do not play well under mental pressures, in the past england have done the same but they've over come some real hoodoo's this tournament, winning the shoot out vs colombia being one
The mental factor is why I was surprised to see Croatia win against Nigeria, Denmark and Russia. I fully expected a bad match where Croatia will be eliminated, be it in the groups against Nigeria/Iceland or in the first knockout rounds.
After the win against Nigeria, which pretty much secured the knockouts, a relaxed Croatia beat Argentina and Iceland. Then the knockouts came and unless they made the semis, these players would have been a NT failure in Croatia's history.
Now that they made the semis, the pressure is fully gone. It will definitely be back if Croatia makes it to the final, but right now there is no pressure. All those cautious statements before Denmark and Russia are now replaced with huge optimism and relaxed atmosphere. Mandzukic was asked about potential fatigue in the semis and his answer was "No worries, we got this".
But is there no pressure for England with all these crazy expectations from their media and fans?

P.S: I fully expect Croatia to beat England. my prediction is that the English goalkeeper will be Croatia's hero. Just a hunch :D

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
The mental factor is why I was surprised to see Croatia win against Nigeria, Denmark and Russia. I fully expected a bad match where Croatia will be eliminated, be it in the groups against Nigeria/Iceland or in the first knockout rounds.
After the win against Nigeria, which pretty much secured the knockouts, a relaxed Croatia beat Argentina and Iceland. Then the knockouts came and unless they made the semis, these players would have been a NT failure in Croatia's history.
Now that they made the semis, the pressure is fully gone. It will definitely be back if Croatia makes it to the final, but right now there is no pressure. All those cautious statements before Denmark and Russia are now replaced with huge optimism and relaxed atmosphere. Mandzukic was asked about potential fatigue in the semis and his answer was "No worries, we got this".
But is there no pressure for England with all these crazy expectations from their media and fans?

P.S: I fully expect Croatia to beat England. my prediction is that the English goalkeeper will be Croatia's hero. Just a hunch :D
Question is do you go with Kramaric or Brozovic in midfield? If Mandzukic can be given a free role again that will work to their advantage, if he gets bogged down in an aerial battle with maguire it will work against croatia.

Perisic needs to step the fuck up and play like the 40 mill player inter value him to be, seriously though I fear for strinic

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017

England are first and foremost a defensive team. They will try to 'defend' by keeping possession and by playing from the back, and even when attacking will have defensive placement to resist a counter. This is a well-drilled side that owes more to coaching and athleticism than technical ability. I would not be going into this thinking that Croatia will have more space than they've had in previous games. They won't.

What's interesting to me is the strengths / weaknesses of each team. And I see two key areas:

1. Croatia has an incredible midfield and we do not. Whether or not we can shackle Modric or if he ends up running the game.
2. I do not rate Croatia's defence. And especially not on set-pieces. Kane's record against Lovren, in particular, should be a concern for Croatia.

I would suggest Croatia are the 4th best team. You may disagree, and so may others. But that's okay as it doesn't really matter. All games now are 50/50.

There is no pressure.

It is very obvious from the players' that their mindset is different. It is now "we want to make everyone proud" when previously it has always been "we don't want to let everyone down." The PK win, no matter how silly it sounds, has exorcised a lot of demons.

If Croatia win it will because they played a good game and that they are a good team. I do not see mental state being a factor at all.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
If Croatia makes it to the final, Modric has to be a serious contender for Ballon d'or.

Actually, whoever makes the final, this could be the first year since 2007 that Messi or Ronaldo won't win it. Messi is out of the game already, but Ronaldo is still there with a chance due to the CL win.
Mbappe, Griezmann, Hazard, Modric and Kane could steal it this time, though, depending on the outcome of this WC.
Fuck that man, just when Ronaldo will be wearing our jersey they decide not to give it to him? Don't like that at all :D

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck that man, just when Ronaldo will be wearing our jersey they decide not to give it to him? Don't like that at all :D
PS we need to revenge Real for taking credit for Cannavaro's Ballon d'Or back then.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
England are first and foremost a defensive team. They will try to 'defend' by keeping possession and by playing from the back, and even when attacking will have defensive placement to resist a counter. This is a well-drilled side that owes more to coaching and athleticism than technical ability. I would not be going into this thinking that Croatia will have more space than they've had in previous games. They won't.

What's interesting to me is the strengths / weaknesses of each team. And I see two key areas:

1. Croatia has an incredible midfield and we do not. Whether or not we can shackle Modric or if he ends up running the game.
2. I do not rate Croatia's defence. And especially not on set-pieces. Kane's record against Lovren, in particular, should be a concern for Croatia.

I would suggest Croatia are the 4th best team. You may disagree, and so may others. But that's okay as it doesn't really matter. All games now are 50/50.

There is no pressure.

It is very obvious from the players' that their mindset is different. It is now "we want to make everyone proud" when previously it has always been "we don't want to let everyone down." The PK win, no matter how silly it sounds, has exorcised a lot of demons.

If Croatia win it will because they played a good game and that they are a good team. I do not see mental state being a factor at all.

England are going to be in for a huge surprise when it turns out that Croatia is an actual team. You have faced Tunisia, Panama, Belgium's B team, Colombia and Sweden. You lost to Belgium B (though you did play your reserves as well) and went to penalties with the only reasonable team out there, but they were missing their all defining star player. If James had been there, you had probably lost.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no pressure.

England are going to be in for a huge surprise when it turns out that Croatia is an actual team. You have faced Tunisia, Panama, Belgium's B team, Colombia and Sweden. You lost to Belgium B (though you did play your reserves as well) and went to penalties with the only reasonable team out there, but they were missing their all defining star player. If James had been there, you had probably lost.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
All this reminds me of EURO 2012, when England discovered Pirlo. That was a sure win for England in the quarters against Italy, said the English fans and media. But a surprise happened and #21 in Italy completely owned the midfield with his playmaking skills.
Where does he play? How come he's not in the EPL yet?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
All this reminds me of EURO 2012, when England discovered Pirlo. That was a sure win for England in the quarters against Italy, said the English fans and media. But a surprise happened and #21 in Italy completely owned the midfield with his playmaking skills.
Pretty sure they know Modric tho :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

The English arrogance is intolerable. They've reached the semis through incredible good fortune and now all of a sudden they're World Cup favourites? Hell no, they're by far the weakest team of the remaining four.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Pretty sure they know Modric tho :D
Absolutely. We've known about him since 2008.

And given that a number of Croatia's players have played in England (surprised to see Corluka is only 32) and/or CL, and we've seen their team play 5 games now at this World Cup, I really don't think there's going to be any surprises.

No-one here is under-estimating Croatia. Believing that you can win against a good team is not the same as thinking your opponent is shit.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If Mandzukic can be given a free role again that will work to their advantage, if he gets bogged down in an aerial battle with maguire it will work against croatia.

...seriously though I fear for strinic
You're a Juve fan. You should know by now that wherever Mandzukic plays, he'll shine when going gets tough :D This is a man who shows himself whenever it matters. Scored in 2 CL finals, was instrumental with 2 goals in that game in Madrid we won 3:1 earlier this year. And when things didn't go well for Croatia, he scored and assisted against Denmark and Russia. Even Juve fans still underrate this legend :stuckup:

Fully agree on Strinic, though. He's not even a footballer.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Absolutely. We've known about him since 2008.

And given that a number of Croatia's players have played in England (surprised to see Corluka is only 32) and/or CL, and we've seen their team play 5 games now at this World Cup, I really don't think there's going to be any surprises.

No-one here is under-estimating Croatia. Believing that you can win against a good team is not the same as thinking your opponent is shit.
I don't think England can win against a good team. They're not there yet. But Southgate has improved your team so much that it can now beat shit teams (something England was unable to do past tournaments). I'd be very surprised if you beat Croatia, but if you keep Southgate, I think his idea of competing for the 2022 World Cup has every chance of success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)