World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (42 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Only Bentancur and Cuadrado are having a good WC out of our players. Juve players at the WC are friggin dissapointing so far.

Woj - didn't do anythign remarkable, knocked out in the group fase
Benatia - mediocre performance, knocked out in the group stage, responsible for 1 direct goal and benched for the last game
Khedira - mediocre performance, knocked out in the group stage out and benched for Rudy in the only game Germany won
Matuidi - typical, being played for defensive purposes
Mandzukic - 0 goals, nuff said
Dybala - 0 goals, only saw the bench
Higuain - 0 goals, benched for Aguero
Douglas Costa, 1 assist and injured for the remaining games

No leaders, no great performers and not good for our brand and international allure
:lol:

What is this nonsense :rofl:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
0 - Neither Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi have scored a goal in a World Cup knockout match:

Ronaldo: 0 goals in 6 games from 25 shots (514 mins)
Messi: 0 goals in 8 games from 23 shots (756 mins)

Funny cause a lot of World Cup scouting Experds are about making claims on who is worthwhile and who is not based on this tournament. I guess two GOAT club players are not worthwhile because they haven't properly delivered in a summer tournament after a 60+ game season with a team of a players they barely see a couple times a year. Imagine weactually had a chance to sign either player? Are you going to say no because Messi doesn't have knockout round goals in a World Cup?

The World Cup is fun to watch but come on...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Only Bentancur and Cuadrado are having a good WC out of our players. Juve players at the WC are friggin dissapointing so far.

Woj - didn't do anythign remarkable, knocked out in the group fase
Benatia - mediocre performance, knocked out in the group stage, responsible for 1 direct goal and benched for the last game
Khedira - mediocre performance, knocked out in the group stage out and benched for Rudy in the only game Germany won
Matuidi - typical, being played for defensive purposes
Mandzukic - 0 goals, nuff said
Dybala - 0 goals, only saw the bench
Higuain - 0 goals, benched for Aguero
Douglas Costa, 1 assist and injured for the remaining games

No leaders, no great performers and not good for our brand and international allure
Matuidi and Mzndzukic have been playing well though.

Still i think you are reading way too much into this. Its a tournament with a maximum of seven games for a player, surely such a small sample size is not enough to judge players fairly

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
He’s wrong as usual.

Matuidi had a very good game against Argentina, and Mandzukic, whilst not scoring yet, has been talismanic for Croatia.
Matuidi was excellent yesterday.:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya and it was nice seeing torreira have such a good game. I can see why some of you guys rate him highly. Looks a proper ball winner!

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Funny cause a lot of World Cup scouting Experds are about making claims on who is worthwhile and who is not based on this tournament. I guess two GOAT club players are not worthwhile because they haven't properly delivered in a summer tournament after a 60+ game season with a team of a players they barely see a couple times a year. Imagine weactually had a chance to sign either player? Are you going to say no because Messi doesn't have knockout round goals in a World Cup?

The World Cup is fun to watch but come on...
I don't know about you, bro, but I would hate a front 3 of Messi-Lewandowski-Ronaldo at Juventus. All World Cup chokers. Juventus would never win the World Cup with those three leading our attack.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Matuidi and Mzndzukic have been playing well though.

Still i think you are reading way too much into this. Its a tournament with a maximum of seven games for a player, surely such a small sample size is not enough to judge players fairly
It doesn't matter how good or bad guys like Matuidi, Lichtsteiner, Khedira, Mandzukic perform in a WC. They won't be remembered. With Cannavaro being the exception, in a WC you remember skilled attacking players or brilliant midfielders like Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta. Or maybe an attacker who scores a lot for a top NT (like Klose)
Juve can offer Pjanic, Dybala, D. Costa, Cuadrado and Higuain as potentials who could shine in a WC and be remembered for years to come. Unfortunately for the Juve fans, one of them didn't even make it to the WC, one got injured, one was given only 22 minutes of playing time and had Messi as his main rival, the other Argie plays for a NT with no midfield and defense, and all that we got left is Cuadrado.

If Dybala, Pjanic and Higuain played for, say, Croatia, I'm damn sure that we'd have been praising them right now and Croatia would have been a top 3 favorite.
It wouldn't have meant, though, that Juventus wasn't gonna be the same team it is right now.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Matuidi was excellent yesterday.:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya and it was nice seeing torreira have such a good game. I can see why some of you guys rate him highly. Looks a proper ball winner!
:tup:

Torreira looks great. Was annoyed we didn't really go after him and seemed more interested in Roma's Pellegrini as far as young Serie A buyout clause CMs go.

But I trust Arsenal to ruin poor Torreira, so there is that..... :p

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Yeah, Torreira would have been good here, but we're stacked in midfield already. We just need a little more quality.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Just saw that Denmark are undefeated in their last 18 matches, including games against France, Germany, Mexico and Sweden :scared: :scared:
It's a bit more comforting that their last defeat was against an ex-Yu team (Montenegro) and that their record against Croatia and Yugoslavia is terrible (3-1-9).

@Maddy we did the greatest favor to your football in 1992 with the war in Yugoslavia. It's time to let us win and pay back the debt :agree:

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
@Maddy we did the greatest favor to your football in 1992 with the war in Yugoslavia. It's time to let us win and pay back the debt :agree:
We are forever grateful, but don't worry you are gonna win tonight. We are not a very good team. We didn't deserve the points against Peru and Australia.

We can defend a bit, but that is it. Otherwise we are pretty much below average.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Just saw that Denmark are undefeated in their last 18 matches, including games against France, Germany, Mexico and Sweden :scared: :scared:
It's a bit more comforting that their last defeat was against an ex-Yu team (Montenegro) and that their record against Croatia and Yugoslavia is terrible (3-1-9).

You seriously think you can't win vs Danes?

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
He’s wrong as usual.

Matuidi had a very good game against Argentina, and Mandzukic, whilst not scoring yet, has been talismanic for Croatia.
:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

We are forever grateful, but don't worry you are gonna win tonight. We are not a very good team. We didn't deserve the points against Peru and Australia.

We can defend a bit, but that is it. Otherwise we are pretty much below average.
Croatia are indeed heavy favorites for this one - especially as they looked amazing in those 3 games...

Maddy who do you think is the best Dane ever? Eriksen or M.Laudrup

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
@zizinho says otherwise about his nt performances. He also only had 3 goals at the knockout stages in the EC
But people still hype both Messi and Ronaldo’s performances at national level way too much. But I agree with your last line.
well, he willed his team past the group stage, after they were basically out, then against Croatia and Wales as well. but he didnt play the final, so people forget the games before that

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez, I can't be entitled to have an own opinion? You can disagree but no reason to insult me like that.
might as well change your username to Badass Gian. that was terrible lol

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You seriously think you can't win vs Danes?
He’s anti-jinxing himself.
We can win, of course, and I am not anti-jinxing anything. But we haven't played a knockout at the WC for 20 years and I would have been dead scared irrelevantly who we play, be it Brasil or Panama. It's a knockout match. In the last two knockout matches Croatia played after 1998, I was left speechless and heart broken. In 2008 the outsider Turkey scored on us in minute 122 (!) after we took the lead in the 119th minute. At EURO 2016 we were favorites against Portugal and they scored in 117th minute.
Think of it as Juve in CL. You always expect the worst to happen, no matter who we play :D
Though I am more confident when Juve plays, perhaps because there is a second leg in the CL knockouts.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
We can win, of course, and I am not anti-jinxing anything. But we haven't played a knockout at the WC for 20 years and I would have been dead scared irrelevantly who we play, be it Brasil or Panama. It's a knockout match. In the last two knockout matches Croatia played after 1998, I was left speechless and heart broken. In 2008 the outsider Turkey scored on us in minute 122 (!) after we took the lead in the 119th minute. At EURO 2016 we were favorites against Portugal and they scored in 117th minute.
Think of it as Juve in CL. You always expect the worst to happen, no matter who we play :D
Though I am more confident when Juve plays, perhaps because there is a second leg in the CL knockouts.
but you have plenty of experience from Euros, no?

this looks like the best shot you guys have at going far since 2008 to me. you had an amazing group stage back then as well, and i thought you were sure to make semis atleast (before a wild Turkey appeared). this team gives me the same vibes as the 2008 one did after the group stage, but maybe thats not so good of a thing seeing how 2008 played out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)