Wojciech Szczęsny (13 Viewers)

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
How do you pronounce his name correctly? I hear the guy on TV adding a T in there.

thought it was Schez-knee
I honestly don't know if you can easily transliterate his surname from Polish to English. Mostly because of the letter "ę" which, if I had to, I would say sounds a bit similar to the sound "ew" when you think about something disgusting, but still it's not quite the same.

As for the SZCZ part "shch" is about right. The NY ending is more like the WY in the word WYRM (fantasy fans should get it). So the Y is really short and hard unlike "knee" where the sound is longer and soft.

So to summarize it would be something like SHCHEWZNY.

Good luck.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I honestly don't know if you can easily transliterate his surname from Polish to English. Mostly because of the letter "ę" which, if I had to, I would say sounds a bit similar to the sound "ew" when you think about something disgusting, but still it's not quite the same.

As for the SZCZ part "shch" is about right. The NY ending is more like the WY in the word WYRM (fantasy fans should get it). So the Y is really short and hard unlike "knee" where the sound is longer and soft.

So to summarize it would be something like SHCHEWZNY.

Good luck.
So the commentator I thought was pronouncing his name wrong was actually saying it right, who’d have thunk @Sheik Yerbouti

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)