Wojciech Szczęsny (23 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
TBF he was very good for Roma. That’s the reason why we signed him. Roma’s GK coaches really worked well with him, and he’s said as much in interviews.
Was the best shot stopper in serie a that season (Buffon best overall).

Remember him saying how Italian goalkeeping training is that much better than EPL, how at both Roma and Juve they improve you as a GK while at Arsenil they didn't work on that aspect.

Makes me wonder how good de Gea would be in Serie A.

- - - Updated - - -

Kudos to Bonucci for clearing the ball afterwards so fast.
Loved the fake to the left. Friedel style. Completely threw Parejo off. (Does that guy always look this down after making a mistake? Had an inkling he was gonna miss.)

Always wondered why more gks don't fake it in pks.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
goalkeepers is overrated position these days. you jut need your goalie to be competent and not karius or bartez level. it's not even about skill, but concentration.

what you need is forvets. forvets win u games. goalies just like to get sent off and make mistakes. see buffon

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Szczesny planned to spend career at Arsenal rather than filling Buffon's boots

The Polish goalkeeper is the new No. 1 at Juventus, but admits that he never intended to leave north London after making his breakthrough in England

Wojciech Szczesny admits he “wanted to be at Arsenal for my whole career” but is happy to have taken a step backwards and ended up filling Gianluigi Buffon’s boots at Juventus.
The Polish goalkeeper made his senior breakthrough in north London and took in 181 appearances for the Gunners across five seasons.
He eventually slipped out of favour following the arrivals of David Ospina and Petr Cech and was forced to seek regular game time elsewhere.

Szczesny told BBC Sport: “I wanted to be at Arsenal for my whole career. It is the club I love. It is the club I still support. I gave everything to play there.

“I regret not having done more there. I won two FA Cups and a Community Shield but I would have liked to win at least one Premier League title.

“But sometimes you have to think with your brain, not just your heart.”

wojciech-szczesny-gianluigi-buffon-juventus_n1jw88z3kyov1eb9b62styrm8.jpg

He spent one year working as understudy to the iconic Buffon, prior to his departure for Paris Saint-Germain, and feels that grounding has made it easier for him to fill the No. 1 spot with the Serie A champions.

“My first thought was that sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. When I analysed the situation, it wasn't much of a step back because I knew I was going to play,” Szczesny said.

“I got 21 games, which is not bad for a second keeper. I also had the opportunity to learn from one of the best in history and I had one year to prepare for the job of replacing him.

“It was the best career opportunity I could ever have.

“I am proud of the way it has worked out. We all have difficult moments in our careers. It is how you react to them that counts. Where I am now hasn't come out of the blue. I have earned it.”

While now established as first choice at Juve, Szczesny acknowledges that he will never get close to completely covering the loss of an iconic predecessor.

He added: “It is easier because I am not Italian. It means I will never be the next Buffon. I will be the new number one goalkeeper of Juventus and that is it. My only thought process is stopping balls flying into the net.

“I don't go into games thinking I can't make a mistake because everyone is going to miss Buffon.”

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
iirc, he made a quick step to his left before he jumped towards the ball to the right side, which cost him. im not a goalie expert so dont know if that was necessary or not (probably was worried about Mata aiming to that side of the goal as well), but i think he would have gotten to the ball without it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)