Wojciech Szczęsny (39 Viewers)

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
to say the 1-0 wins is thanks to defense being incredible is both overrating the defense, and underrating tek's contributions
I think in almost every 1-0 win, Woj has made an incredible save at least once. He's been happy to have little chances to save the ball but when called upon has made some spectacular saves for sure.

And I agree the advanced goalkeeper stats/metrics have some issues. The more a keeper is called upon, the more "valuable" they are deemed and the stats/metrics weigh towards that. But it's a product of poor defenses in front of them calling on them to action and thus more frequency of use. Chicken or egg problem really.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I think in almost every 1-0 win, Woj has made an incredible save at least once. He's been happy to have little chances to save the ball but when called upon has made some spectacular saves for sure.

And I agree the advanced goalkeeper stats/metrics have some issues. The more a keeper is called upon, the more "valuable" they are deemed and the stats/metrics weigh towards that. But it's a product of poor defenses in front of them calling on them to action and thus more frequency of use. Chicken or egg problem really.
yes and maybe strickland and iceman is right. maybe a cheaper goal keeper from another serie a club could step up and do the same task for cheaper salary. perin has done a good job stepping up. but it's hard to tell.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
yes and maybe strickland and iceman is right. maybe a cheaper goal keeper from another serie a club could step up and do the same task for cheaper salary. perin has done a good job stepping up. but it's hard to tell.
Perin distribution is vastly inferior and we've seen it a few times the last few years. It's a definite step down. Woj has his problems there too but Perin has those mistakes a lot more.

Sadly, we missed on the kid at Tottenham. Inexcusable an Italian keeper of that level goes to EPL at that age, never passing through a big club.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Perin distribution is vastly inferior and we've seen it a few times the last few years. It's a definite step down. Woj has his problems there too but Perin has those mistakes a lot more.

Sadly, we missed on the kid at Tottenham. Inexcusable an Italian keeper of that level goes to EPL at that age, never passing through a big club.
I like Perin and he's a good number 2. But he's not good enough to be a starter at a big club because of this.
Dollaruma, somehow, never impressed me. He's just not consistent enough.
Far too expensive for a goalkeeper as well.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Like I said. I know Tek isn’t the best keeper in the world or anything. But he’s easily one of the best in this league. Keeping him for a couple more years on a lower salary whilst looking for our future GK for the next decade or so seems like a pretty sensible course of action imo.

Last edited:

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I dont watch Monza or Fiorentina, but advanced goalkeeping stats are saying that their goalies are having a remarkable season while Tek is simply ok. And its not an anomaly, Teks stats have been unremarkable to bad for years now

- - - Updated - - -

I think that not only he doesnt deserve the high salary, but he also isnt good enough to be the starting gk for Juve.

You do know Buffon who IMO is the best GK ever also made mistakes here and then and he also conceded more than 1 goal in certain games.
Now Woj is definitely no Buffon but he is one of the best in the league. In fact I would only put Maignan above him.
Considering our financial difficulties - lowering him down to around 3.5M is the way to go. It would be much more sensible than splashing on a new GK and have an even stricter budget.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said. I know Tek isn’t the best keeper in the world or anything. But he’s easily one of the best in this league. Keeping him for a couple more years on a lower salary whilst looking out for the our future GK for the next decade or so seems like a pretty sensible course of action imo.
Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

I like Perin and he's a good number 2. But he's not good enough to be a starter at a big club because of this.

Far too expensive for a goalkeeper as well.
I like Perin but like you said he is a good number 2. He could be a number 1 but then he needs to play for a smaller club.
Everyone that thinks Perin is on the same level as Woj is a bit delusional. Woj isnt the savior of all GK this one is true, but only disliking him would make one to make such a comparison.

Bianc..Aus.. Said it perfectly. Lowering his wages and then look at GKs without that urgent sign on your back is much better for the future of our beloved club.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
so you took our only loss of the season and only game we conceded more than 1 goal as an example. that's fair i guess.
dude conceded a total blunder, rebounded right in the path for an attacker for the third goal and finished the game with a completely braindead pass that lead to an own goal. he has other mistakes here and there this season, some of them not resulting in goals, but how many goals a goalkeeper has to give up to be considered not elite? do you need 8 rude mistakes in 16 games to not be among the best goalkeepers in Serie A?

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
dude conceded a total blunder, rebounded right in the path for an attacker for the third goal and finished the game with a completely braindead pass that lead to an own goal. he has other mistakes here and there this season, some of them not resulting in goals, but how many goals a goalkeeper has to give up to be considered not elite? do you need 8 rude mistakes in 16 games to not be among the best goalkeepers in Serie A?
That own goal was all Gatti's work though. And it was beautiful.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
what a goalie he is. he saves multiple chances every game and thread is quiet. but if he even makes one miss placed pass everyone loses their mind.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
On the balance of play, he has won far more points for us than lost them.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
that save on the deflected berardi shot was top. that was a potential turning point, even though sassuolo never really threatened before.

i don't remember any tek blunders from this season. reliable af, much better than last season, let alone the previous one when he started with 3-4 extremely shaky games.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
that save on the deflected berardi shot was top. that was a potential turning point, even though sassuolo never really threatened before.

i don't remember any tek blunders from this season. reliable af, much better than last season, let alone the previous one when he started with 3-4 extremely shaky games.
I take it you forgot the first Sassuolo game where he cost us and did his customary smile after the blunder.
I’m sure there’s more but that one stands out due to the fact it is our only defeat this season.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
what a goalie he is. he saves multiple chances every game and thread is quiet. but if he even makes one miss placed pass everyone loses their mind.
I appreciate this post because it must have been tough for you to praise such an uggo!

On a serious note, he's one of the best goalkeepers of the last decade in my opinion. His forte is that he maintained great performance throughout those years opposed to more praised goalies like Neuer, De Gea, Oblak, Lloris who's had 1-3 beast season only to turn mediocre soon after. His looks doesn't help his case either lol

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I take it you forgot the first Sassuolo game where he cost us and did his customary smile after the blunder.
I’m sure there’s more but that one stands out due to the fact it is our only defeat this season.
that match was a fluke and a team effort, i consider it as a glitch in the matrix lol

i won't hold it against gatti or vlahovic either :boh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)