With or against Marriage? (1 Viewer)

With marriage or against it?

• Marry

• Don't marry

• I'm undecided

• I don't really care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nedvěd

I never said that. I was explaining what my mother's point was.

I said when someone enjoys the company of the girl he's dating without thinking when or where or how they're going to end up in bed it's then when the boy is seriously thinking and considering the girl for the future.
Oh apologize for misunderstanding.

I think your mum got a great point.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
Damn how the world has changed....for the worse.....People are starting to debate whether it is good or bad to get married. How would you not get married? If you fall in love with a girl, will you two be living your whole life together as an unmarried couple or what? Will it make such a big difference to both of the partners if they perform the marriage ceremony or what if they have already decided that they want to spend their whole lives together??

Preet

Powerpuff G!
Sep 7, 2010
Damn how the world has changed....for the worse.....People are starting to debate whether it is good or bad to get married. How would you not get married? If you fall in love with a girl, will you two be living your whole life together as an unmarried couple or what? Will it make such a big difference to both of the partners if they perform the marriage ceremony or what if they have already decided that they want to spend their whole lives together??
Well said.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
I could very easily not get married. For one, we can't afford it, and for two, it wouldn't change how happy we are. I have no problem whatsoever with living my entire life as an unmarried couple; being with my boyfriend is important to me, not spending a shitload of money on people we don't even like to come and see me in an overpriced dress eating some stale cake. If we had tons of money, sure. Why not? But otherwise, we would only do it if we had to for paperwork purposes.

Apr 15, 2006
I could very easily not get married. For one, we can't afford it, and for two, it wouldn't change how happy we are. I have no problem whatsoever with living my entire life as an unmarried couple; being with my boyfriend is important to me, not spending a shitload of money on people we don't even like to come and see me in an overpriced dress eating some stale cake. If we had tons of money, sure. Why not? But otherwise, we would only do it if we had to for paperwork purposes.
You put forth some interesting points. Makes sense though.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Pip, I for one want to get married, but I don't feel like I have to. What's the difference really?

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
A friend of mine spent 92 dollars on his wedding. It's not necessary to have a huge wedding!

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #170
    Exactly, having a wedding doesn't mean you have to put down a fortune on a table. You can do it for 1000k and you can do it for 1m.

P.S, some people actually do make lot of money in their wedding :D

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    Exactly, having a wedding doesn't mean you have to put down a fortune on a table. You can do it for 1000k and you can do it for 1m.

P.S, some people actually do make lot of money in their wedding :D
    If I did get married it would have to be very classy, I don't see how I could do it on the cheap. Tell me how have these people made money?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    Rab would probably be able to sell the pics of his wedding to some tabloid for an insane amount of money. What with his pretty eyes & all.

But I think the only way us mere mortals would be able to "earn" something, would be by getting more gifts (money or other) than the amount you spent in the first place.

As for the question: I don't really care.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    But Kate, where is it written that you have to spend a shit load of money on your wedding? I, and im sure that many others will agree, consider it a personal choice whether you will have a big or a small, intimate wedding. My cousin spent like 50 euros for his wedding, inviting only the closest to him. Hell, look at many Hollywood stars, they have tons of money, and still, most of them have private, intimate weddings with like 50 people or so. From your post, i see that you keep looking at the wedding ceremony in the traditional sense, with 200+ people invited, cakes, dresses and what not. It is my personal opinion that times have changed, and it is completely normal to have a small wedding, with very little money spent.

Pip, I for one want to get married, but I don't feel like I have to. What's the difference really?
    There isnt really a difference, i agree, but wont you think that it is completely ludacris to annihilate the institution of marriage for a mere 100 or 500 dollars (euros)??

A friend of mine spent 92 dollars on his wedding. It's not necessary to have a huge wedding!
    Exactly. My cousin also, and he was happier sharing that moment with 20 of his closest friends and relatives than he would be sharing it with 150-200 people that he doesnt like so much anyways......

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    But Kate, where is it written that you have to spend a shit load of money on your wedding? I, and im sure that many others will agree, consider it a personal choice whether you will have a big or a small, intimate wedding. My cousin spent like 50 euros for his wedding, inviting only the closest to him. Hell, look at many Hollywood stars, they have tons of money, and still, most of them have private, intimate weddings with like 50 people or so. From your post, i see that you keep looking at the wedding ceremony in the traditional sense, with 200+ people invited, cakes, dresses and what not. It is my personal opinion that times have changed, and it is completely normal to have a small wedding, with very little money spent.
    Jesus Christ, no. I don't envisage a wedding as being a 200+ affair for me at all (I don't even know that many people), but many around me do and would expect it of me. And I can't be cheap on something like that if it were to happen - intimate: yes, cheap: no. But that's a personal thing.

I've gotten us a bit off-track because the wedding isn't the question, it's marriage itself. You say it is your personal opinion that times have changed, we can have small weddings now. Well haven't times also changed to the point where we don't have to get married at all? I don't find what is so offensive about that idea, so much so that you say the world is changing for the worse. My boyfriend is entitled to a lot of the same rights as a husband as my common-law spouse (I am allowed to sponsor him to live in this country, he is covered on my health plan, etc.) I don't see what we would gain, though I have not come to the point of buying houses or making wills yet so perhaps I am missing something.

And maybe I will one day change my mind about myself, but it is no concern of mine if other people never do, and I don't understand why it upsets other people so much.

There isnt really a difference, i agree, but wont you think that it is completely ludacris to annihilate the institution of marriage for a mere 100 or 500 dollars (euros)??
    :sergio:

Rappers ruin everything.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    And you just ruined your own argument about the world becoming a worse place right there. Will it really make a big difference if people get married or not if you have already decided to spend your whole lives together? No.

Only thing that can really change is the legal aspect.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    And you just ruined your own argument about the world becoming a worse place right there. Will it really make a big difference if people get married or not if you have already decided to spend your whole lives together? No.

Only thing that can really change is the legal aspect.
    lol, i didnt ruin my whole argument. Im pro marriage, and as such i wanted to state that because it wont make much difference to many partners when it comes to performing the ceremony, they should do it and throw away something that has been around for millenniums.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    lol, i didnt ruin my whole argument. Im pro marriage, and as such i wanted to state that because it wont make much difference to many partners when it comes to performing the ceremony, they should do it and throw away something that has been around for millenniums.
    But you have. You are saying "Because it won't make a difference, why not just do it!" but the counter argument is therefore just as valid, because it makes no difference.

And just because something has been around for millennia does not mean we shouldn't question its use in modern times. Some things that might have been appropriate practice for the ancient Greeks or medieval Englishmen are likely not appropriate today. People and society evolve.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
    Apr 5, 2006
    Jesus Christ, no. I don't envisage a wedding as being a 200+ affair for me at all (I don't even know that many people), but many around me do and would expect it of me. And I can't be cheap on something like that if it were to happen - intimate: yes, cheap: no. But that's a personal thing.

I've gotten us a bit off-track because the wedding isn't the question, it's marriage itself. You say it is your personal opinion that times have changed, we can have small weddings now. Well haven't times also changed to the point where we don't have to get married at all? I don't find what is so offensive about that idea, so much so that you say the world is changing for the worse. My boyfriend is entitled to a lot of the same rights as a husband as my common-law spouse (I am allowed to sponsor him to live in this country, he is covered on my health plan, etc.) I don't see what we would gain, though I have not come to the point of buying houses or making wills yet so perhaps I am missing something.

And maybe I will one day change my mind about myself, but it is no concern of mine if other people never do, and I don't understand why it upsets other people so much.

:sergio:

Rappers ruin everything.
    Sorry about the last part, after all, english isnt my native language :D

Anyways, we all presented our arguments here and we can safely conclude that it all comes down to what the partners want, and how will they agree on this subject. But, if your boyfriend, who you probably love very much, says that he wants to get married, and would really mean a lot to him if you get married, wouldn't you accept?

OP
    Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #179
    If I did get married it would have to be very classy, I don't see how I could do it on the cheap. Tell me how have these people made money?
    Most women wanna look classy, true, but depends how one would define being classy bride. You can buy 300$ for the wedding dress, 1k for food and drink and lets say around 400 renting a place. There you go maximum 2k and trust me you would look classy :)

By receiving gifts and money you can make cash, but then again it depends how many people you're inviting.

Rab would probably be able to sell the pics of his wedding to some tabloid for an insane amount of money. What with his pretty eyes & all.
    Not a bad idea actually if you think of it :D

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    Sorry about the last part, after all, english isnt my native language :D

Anyways, we all presented our arguments here and we can safely conclude that it all comes down to what the partners want, and how will they agree on this subject. But, if your boyfriend, who you probably love very much, says that he wants to get married, and would really mean a lot to him if you get married, wouldn't you accept?
    That's ok, I just found it particularly funny because it's the name of a rapper.

And if he asked me right now and it meant the world to him that I said yes, I would likely do so (though I would still be a bit wary, namely about where the hell he got the money for a ring).

However, if he asked me because he had become some born-again Christian or for religious purposes, I would have to say no and seriously question our future together.

Azzurri7 said:
    Most women wanna look classy, true, but depends how one would define being classy bride. You can buy 300$ for the wedding dress, 1k for food and drink and lets say around 400 renting a place. There you go maximum 2k and trust me you would look classy :)

By receiving gifts and money you can make cash, but then again it depends how many people you're inviting.
    I imagine that is how much I would end up spending, and I agree it could be very classy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)