Winter Mercato Thread 2021 (3 Viewers)

Who do you want as the vice-Morata?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011

we didn't see too much of mckennie yet, but looking at the defensive contribution of our midfield (top3 in tackles for this season: cuadrado, danilo and chiesa; ffs, where's the midfield?), i'd say this guy is a must if we can get rid of khedira during the winter mercato. put locatelli in the central position of a 3-man midfield, and it's a given and instant effect: concede less shots on goal, less goals, run less risks at the back. he's not a world class player, but very solid defensively, his passing is good enough to play in the middle, dependable, not injury prone at all (j-medical can always ruin him tho), young with plenty of experience already. price could/would be an issue, but that's on the club. i'd be happy to have him.
Keep in mind our midfielders have less minutes than those guys...

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Keep in mind our midfielders have less minutes than those guys...
whoscored lists per game averages, not total tackles. i checked per 90 min metrics on squawka, some players like arthur or chiesa are oddly missing from their database, and you can only compare 5 players anyway:

1.jpg

my point still stands, we could use a proven ball winner like locatelli in the middle of the pitch. arthur had a great defensive game against verona, otherwise our central mids aren't able to stop opposition build-up.

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
I dont know if any of you have picked up on this already, but Herbert Hainer, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Bayern Munich, claims that bayern have withdrawn their contract offer for Alaba :numnum:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
We don't have and/or aren't willing to pay.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know if any of you have picked up on this already, but Herbert Hainer, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Bayern Munich, claims that bayern have withdrawn their contract offer for Alaba :numnum:
And they were right to do so.

I don't understand why he kinda ruins his relationship with a club he certainly qualifies as Legend for. The bayern managent offered him more than enough. This is not a good look as he comes across greedy as fuck and in Corona times too.

Edit: So apparently he is butthurt Bayern wanted to trade him for another player (rumored to be Dembele at Barca and Sane at City in 2019) No idea if it's true though.

Last edited:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
i wonder how today's equivalent of an mvpp midfield would look like. i'd probably pick saul, de bruyne and aouar for my dream midfield, not sure about a 4th one. casemiro maybe...?
Not even close :D

Saul would definitely be in there, but De Bruyne plays further forward to be a like for like replacement for any of Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, or even Pogba.

Tbh, there is no equivalent. That was a midfield for the ages, and the only reason we didn't win a CL was because of that awesome Barca team who had the likes of prime Messi, Neymar, Suarez, in addition to Xavi and Iniesta.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Szoboszlai and Locatelli and our midfield will be trending upwards.

I don't know if we're going to take up that option on McNuggets or whether Arthur is the solution moving forward (too early to tell on both counts), but we still need quality in midfield. Once we purge the expired kebab and possibly ship off Ramsey and another mid, I can see us adding both those guys, and they'd cost an Aouar and a half and less than a Pogba, combined!

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015

Saul would definitely be in there, but De Bruyne plays further forward to be a like for like replacement for any of Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, or even Pogba.

Tbh, there is no equivalent. That was a midfield for the ages, and the only reason we didn't win a CL was because of that awesome Barca team who had the likes of prime Messi, Neymar, Suarez, in addition to Xavi and Iniesta.
i didn't mean direct replacements. vidal alone was a unique player. i just meant a 4-man very strong midfield. de bruyne could easily play vidal's tq role, it could be a strong diamond.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
whoscored lists per game averages, not total tackles. i checked per 90 min metrics on squawka, some players like arthur or chiesa are oddly missing from their database, and you can only compare 5 players anyway:

1.jpg

my point still stands, we could use a proven ball winner like locatelli in the middle of the pitch. arthur had a great defensive game against verona, otherwise our central mids aren't able to stop opposition build-up.
That's weird. I recall Rabiot making some impressive interceptions every game.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002

I agree, even though I sometimes wonder what would have happened should Chiellini played that final.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah but I’m biased. Pretty sure he’ll cost a lot less though.
You are not the only one.
Im not saying he is better than Aouar but I see him better at assisting or scoring and thats what we are lacking!
I didnt count but Im sure all our midfielders over the last season including our games so far this season havent even scored 10 goals combined! and I include Pjanic in this despite him being the only one in midfield who I could call productive.
Im not saying we should have kept him as obviously his time here was over but we should have taken someone who can assist and score.

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
That's weird. I recall Rabiot making some impressive interceptions every game.
that's a different stat, and you're right, rabiot is good at it. (didn't check the exact numbers though.) too bad he can't play every 3 days on a similar level.

bentancur could offer very similar contribution to locatelli if he was in form, but he clearly isn't.

Jun 16, 2020
that's a different stat, and you're right, rabiot is good at it. (didn't check the exact numbers though.) too bad he can't play every 3 days on a similar level.

bentancur could offer very similar contribution to locatelli if he was in form, but he clearly isn't.
Im enjoying the fact that we have a lot of players with potential. Even though some are not in best condition at the moment, it’s waiting when they’ll improve their qualities and get in form.

2 years ago it was hoping that Khedira, Matuidi or Can had a good game. Pjanic performances were already decreasing.. shitty situation.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Seems like he has City or PSG written all over him. Both are looking for a starting LB and their options are currently Mendy/Zinchenko or Bernat/Kurzawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)