Winning Eleven 8 / Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (8 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well, I got the game today, and I must say I am not as impressed as I thought I would be after reading all this nonsense in this thread.

Sure, the gameplay is better than FIFA, but the graphics are worse and the movements of the players look half-retarded in WE8. The movement of the ball is more realistic and some of the movements of the players in WE8 are as well. But when it comes down to it, the graphics in FIFA are better in totale.

Good great grand wonderful, WE8 obtained the rights to Serie A and others, however the league format sucks. The league format is messed up and not elaborate at all, and WORST of all there are no cups and no European competition. No Champions League. That just blows and FIFA takes the cake in this area.

What the hell is this Master League nonsense? The players are not ever REAL!!! That is the most worthless part of the game. It's not even a real league and the players are fake; the format is confusing and the basis is stupid.

The camera angles and features are rubbish on this game too. I like to see as much as the field as I can, however the max you can see is like 30 yards wide. That is not good enough.

So right, the gameplay is better in WE8, but everything else just blows. Time to play some FIFA.

Buy on AliExpress.com

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
sure, and about the real names, licenses etc.
You can download a patch, which gives you the original names, teams, etc.
btw. Andy, I think you are a big fan of making transfers, loanings and so on. Everything is better in PES4 than FIFA concerning that area. You can loan out players, loan some, make player + cash deals etc. Something FIFA is far away from.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Gameplay is important indeed, however FIFA's is not bad to begin with. Furthermore, I like the Season format FIFA has, with the ability to play European matches in the CL and the Coppa Italia. WE8 does not have this, and their season looks lackluster to me. I like trying to make the season as real as possible, so the Master League does not cut it, and I love to play European matches. Without a good season setup and the other things I have mentioned, WE8 is not good enough for me.

Lacki: I do like the loan deals and what not, but the things I listed above are more important.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Gameplay is important indeed, however FIFA's is not bad to begin with. Furthermore, I like the Season format FIFA has, with the ability to play European matches in the CL and the Coppa Italia. WE8 does not have this, and their season looks lackluster to me. I like trying to make the season as real as possible, so the Master League does not cut it, and I love to play European matches. Without a good season setup and the other things I have mentioned, WE8 is not good enough for me.

Lacki: I do like the loan deals and what not, but the things I listed above are more important.
Okay. But, isn't FIFA boring after sometime? I played it for 2 months, and won the whole time. WE always gives you a new challange!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++

Okay. But, isn't FIFA boring after sometime? I played it for 2 months, and won the whole time. WE always gives you a new challange!
Well that is true sometimes.

I'll give it a go I guess, not promising anything though. :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Well, I got the game today, and I must say I am not as impressed as I thought I would be after reading all this nonsense in this thread.

Sure, the gameplay is better than FIFA, but the graphics are worse and the movements of the players look half-retarded in WE8. The movement of the ball is more realistic and some of the movements of the players in WE8 are as well. But when it comes down to it, the graphics in FIFA are better in totale.

Good great grand wonderful, WE8 obtained the rights to Serie A and others, however the league format sucks. The league format is messed up and not elaborate at all, and WORST of all there are no cups and no European competition. No Champions League. That just blows and FIFA takes the cake in this area.

What the hell is this Master League nonsense? The players are not ever REAL!!! That is the most worthless part of the game. It's not even a real league and the players are fake; the format is confusing and the basis is stupid.

The camera angles and features are rubbish on this game too. I like to see as much as the field as I can, however the max you can see is like 30 yards wide. That is not good enough.

So right, the gameplay is better in WE8, but everything else just blows. Time to play some FIFA.
Patients young padawon! With time, you will appreciate the game for what it is and not for the aesthetics. I feel you. I know.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

Patients young padawon! With time, you will appreciate the game for what it is and not for the aesthetics. I feel you. I know.
But but but the camera angles are too close and the seasons are not as good. :frown:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

But but but the camera angles are too close and the seasons are not as good. :frown:
Seriously Andy, I don't want to sound wierd and I've held back a lot with this, but you "freakishly" sound like me 3 years ago.

Just think to yourself how it was relatively "annoying" to migrate from IE to Mozilla Firefox. Kind of the same thing with Fifa and WE.

I always used to play with "Tower Cam" ever since Fifa 96. In WE, you'll have to get used to "wide" (or is it called: "far" ). I hate the default setting. Way too close. "far/wide" is not as far as Tower cam, but it's the best thing in WE. It's good enough to see enough players to make short passes and control the game. With time, you'll get used to knowing your players' movements. The map on the bottom also becomes usefull the more acquainted you become to the game.

About the seasons. I still agree. There's no denying that Fifa is better in this aspect because they have the monopoly on the league formats and there are more teams in Fifa. All I can say is that "when" (yes "when," not "IF") you get hooked on the game, your imagination (sounds lame, i know) will fill in the blanks left by its non-realstic leagues. I pretend that it's like the G14 idea of a top league of top teams. WE have done the best they could IMO to go around the Fifa monopoly on the formats. Don't worry, it's not that hard to get used to the format of the league once you play it.

Start the master league and play a team like Parma. Personally, I had to pretend that Parma got relegated and the team got torn apart (like what happned to Fiorentina a few years back) and I'm the manager who's suppoded to bring them back to the highest levels.

Play some game, play with the tactics, attributes, settings and formations and you'll love the technical in-game coaching aspect about it.

In other words, what you'll get with WE is well worth the seemingly "huge" setbacks that Fifa covered.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well I must say the gameplay is brilliant, much better than FIFA. The ball movements are so much more realistic, and players miss a lot of shots, unlike FIFA.

The tactics are amazing, especially since you can basically make each player do anything you want. I love how you can move players around and sort of create your own special system. I moved Zambro up the field a little bit, and push Nedved up and inside more. I also moved Zlatan back a bit to where he plays in real life, and changed around his movements. I still need help understanding the different movements the players make. But yeah the gameplay is sick, and AI is a lot better than FIFA.

I suppose I just have to used to playing without Europe, and focus on Serie A. It is more fun to actually play this game because the gameplay looks more realistic. Does the Master League have the real players? It looked like it didn't, and if thats correct, why?

But I am playing at the three star level and just lost to Roma 3-0. That AI on the part of Roma was sick because I could not create any chances in the second half. So I need some work. But so far it has been good...

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I have it on PS2 too :D

@ Andy, U start in division 3 with players like Barota, Celnili, Valeny, Castolo, Iouga and sh1t. I have never heard of them :) they are sucky, but after time u get cash and stuff so u can buy new players. I have a great masterleague team and It's really funny to create a team and play hundreds of matches with it (Juventus) and then use all the dreamplayers u want ;) BTW, why are Zlatan Ibrahimovic so sucky on PES4? and same with Martins and Cassano!! they are just average :(

Jan 7, 2004
Well I must say the gameplay is brilliant, much better than FIFA. The ball movements are so much more realistic, and players miss a lot of shots, unlike FIFA.

The tactics are amazing, especially since you can basically make each player do anything you want. I love how you can move players around and sort of create your own special system. I moved Zambro up the field a little bit, and push Nedved up and inside more. I also moved Zlatan back a bit to where he plays in real life, and changed around his movements. I still need help understanding the different movements the players make. But yeah the gameplay is sick, and AI is a lot better than FIFA.

I suppose I just have to used to playing without Europe, and focus on Serie A. It is more fun to actually play this game because the gameplay looks more realistic. Does the Master League have the real players? It looked like it didn't, and if thats correct, why?

But I am playing at the three star level and just lost to Roma 3-0. That AI on the part of Roma was sick because I could not create any chances in the second half. So I need some work. But so far it has been good...

i wanna be there when andy admits that he loves WE

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

It usually takes me 10 minutes to set my formation/tactics/pre-game setup before the game if I don't have it saved. That includes everything from assigning the captain to setting how strong the defense should stick to the offside trap. ( I usually keep it on "B" since I think only Thuram has the special "Defense Line control" attribute. Start off by adjusting the defense according to your opponent and find your best setting. Offensive strength comes once you get used to the game. 3 stars difficulty is a walk in the park to most users. I'm sure you'll pick it up fast and enjoy playing at 5 or even the unlockable 6 star difficulty in no time.

All other teams play with the original squads except you. You get the default team that you have to built on no matter which team you chose. Pretty annoying, but still fun to build you're own team by picking up the likes of Cavinaghi, Milito, Chiumiento..etc.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003

Damn why doesn't Konami and EA Sports just merge to create the BEST video game ever?
actually, the WE/PES are the best so far..

if merged with FIFA, it will be ruined.. ;)

btw, did any of you played "VituaSoccer" on DreamCast..?? old, I know.. but, it was the best soccer game I ever played.. only threated by WE/Konami..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)