WinLinux 2003 (1 Viewer)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
WinLinux 2003 Unique Features

WinLinux 2003 was designed and built to be the easiest to use Linux system. Its installation and configuration tasks are performed directly from Windows and with graphical tools Windows users are used to. Below there is a list of its unique features:

*Windows integration: WinLinux 2003 installs as easily as any Windows application
*Smart configuration: your hardware devices are detected and automatically configured to reflect your current settings and preferences**
*Easy start: you can start WinLinux 2003 just as you start any other Windows application, just double click it
*Safe installation: you do not have to put your existing data at risk to
install it as you have to do with other Linux systems (no HD repartitioning)
*Easy troubleshooting: a Troubleshooting Utility is included to simplify the request of Online Support
*Optimal Disk Usage: WinLinux 2003 shares free disk space with Windows, i.e., you do not have to set two independent hard disk partitions that do not share free disk space.
*Familiar look and feel: you will be amazed by how simple it is to use KDE, the graphical interface used by WinLinux 2003. Take a look at some screenshots and see you will be in a familiar place.

Linux Features

*Linux is virtually immune to all DOS/Windows viruses.*
*Linux is very stable and rarely crashes. It is used by thousands of companies around the world in 24-hours systems.
*Linux is based on open industry standards so you are not obligated to buy everything from the same company.
*Linux has a handful of applications, utilities and games already developed for it. Most big software developers already support Linux and more are joining in.
*You can even download Linux office applications for personal use for free.

System Requirements

Your computer must have, at least the following configuration to run WinLinux 2003.

*a Pentium II class processor
*64 MB RAM
*VGA video card
*Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Millennium. Note that Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are not supported by WinLinux 2003 yet.
*an disk drive with approximately 1.2GB free space on a FAT32 system or near 2GB free space on a FAT16 system (most Windows 95), for a full setup.

To enjoy WinLinux in full, we recommend also the following:

*a modem and an Internet connection
*128 MB RAM
*SVGA video card
*a sound card
*free HD space to install third party applications

Note that the following hardware and software are not supported by this release of WinLinux: some modems that depend on software drivers (known as winmodems), software compressed hard disks (e.g., Doublespace).

So did anyone try this before, cause i thinking in trying it and i need someone to give me some more info about it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Linux on Windows? I see Windows is a requirement to install it even, sounds pretty bogus to me. :D

Haven't tried it though, not exactly a "major player" on the linux scene if you know what I mean, you can also conclude that from their lame website. ;)

In your place, I would try Mandrake, Suse or Lindows. But only Mandrake is free, the others cost a few bucks. All of them are designed to make it easy for the Windows user to cope in the Linux world, Mandrake is also very popular, a lot of people start out with it and move onto other things. :)

OP
Signor

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    But does mandrake support windows xp and Fat 32 drives. and what about hardware drivers.

Some people advised me not to use lindows, they told me it's full of bugs.

Thanks Martin !! :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Mandrake doesn't support Windows XP, it's completely separate. It doesn't do anything of that install-alongside-windows crap. It does however support fat16, fat32, even ntfs (read support only so far). And yes it has quite decent hardware detection, I installed it on the computer of a friend of mine and it detected and set up everything correctly.

You'd have to set up a separate partition for it.

OP
    Signor

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    That sounds good, Do you have any idea from where can i get it ??

Thanks again Martin!! :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Here's a list of mirrors, pick one close to you:
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#iso

Click on one of the links and download these files:
    Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso - 666176 KB
    Mandrake91-cd2-ext.i586.iso - 665312 KB
    Mandrake91-cd3-i18n.i586.iso - 665600 KB

Those are iso images, ready to be burnt on cd. You'll have to use a burning tool like Ahead Nero, which can burn the images straight onto the disk. [You have to burn them as iso images otherwise the cd(s) will not be bootable (!)].

Once you're done, partition your harddisk with Partition Magic or you could use the tool in the Mandrake installer (I've never done that myself), in which case you just boot with the 1st cd in your cdrom drive. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)