Win taught UEFA a lesson - Hakan (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Wednesday, December 3, 2003
Win taught UEFA a lesson - Hakan

ANKARA, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Galatasaray striker Hakan Sukur says his team's 2-0 Champions League win over Juventus on Tuesday taught ruling body UEFA a lesson after its decision to move the fixture to Germany from Istanbul.

Turkey had accused UEFA of favouring Europe's big teams when it moved the fixture and the Champions League match between Besiktas and Chelsea citing security concerns after four bomb attacks in Istanbul in November that killed 61 people.

Hakan scored both goals in the Group D game against Juventus which was played in Dortmund's Westfalen stadium. The win maintained Galatasaray's hopes of reaching the knockout phase. Juve had already qualified.

'I said before the game that we would give the correct reply to UEFA and Juventus on the pitch. I guess we taught them both a sound lesson,' Hakan said on his personal website.

UEFA's decision sparked uproar in Turkey's fiercely partisan press. Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan accused UEFA of bowing to terrorism after Galatasaray and Besiktas were banned from playing their home fixtures in Istanbul.

'One for UEFA, one for Juve,' was the headline in Turkish daily Hurriyet on Wednesday. 'The Galatasaray lions set off a bomb on the pitch,' said popular daily Sabah.

BESIKTAS APPEAL

Hakan grabbed the opener against the Italian champions two minutes into the second half and then sealed the victory with an injury-time strike.

The result moved Galatasaray above Olympiakos into third place in the group, two points behind their opponents in their final match - second-placed Spanish side Real Sociedad.

Fatih Terim's side must win in Spain next week if they are to proceed to the knockout stage of the competition. Terim on Wednesday praised the Dortmund crowd, many of whom were ethnic Turks living in Germany, for getting behind his team.

There were so many Turkish supporters in the ground that the start was delayed by 15 minutes due to traffic congestion.

'We don't even see such support in Istanbul. We needed them, they came, and I thank them,' Terim said.

UEFA plan to stage Turkish champions Besiktas's game against Chelsea in Gelsenkirchen's Arena AufSchalke stadium in Germany on December 9.

Chelsea have secured their place in the knockout phase of the competition while Besiktas, who beat Claudio Ranieri's side at Stamford Bridge in October, will join them in the last 16 with a victory.

Turkish tour firms have already begun advertising travel packages to the game, although all parties concerned are awaiting the outcome, expected on Wednesday, of the Turkish club's appeal against moving the Group G match.

===

I've heard a lot of Turkish fans, and Gala fans not least, call Sukur an idiot but I've never had a reason to take a stand on the issue. Now with this statement, I'm tempted to tilt in a certain direction on the issue.

There are a couple of basic flaws in Sukur's logic here. So Uefa conspired against Gala, in favor of Juve, to what end exactly? We were already qualified, there is nothing to be done about that. In fact, we only needed one point from two games to win the group, based on our CL form this year prior to the Gala game, who would actually believe we couldn't at least get a draw with Olympiakos in our own back yard? To argue that Uefa wanted to do us a favor takes a fair bit of convincing. So what was the motive exactly? To help Sociedad qualify?

As Sukur, I would be counting my blessings. Di Vaio blew several huge chances and from every report I've read, it's a wonder that we didn't take the lead in the 1st half. Meanwhile Gala *had* to win the game. And they did, in fact they got better support in Dortmund than they would at home, according to Terim. So how exactly have Gala been wronged? I fail to grasp the point.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    Sukur seems to have this belligerent attitude but it doesn't matter how many goals he scored against a Juve that's already qualified when his team goes down 3-0 to Olympiakos. Or was that part of the jUvEFA conspiracy? Teaching Olympiakos a lesson would have done him a lot more good.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I've heard a lot of Turkish fans, and Gala fans not least, call Sukur an idiot but I've never had a reason to take a stand on the issue. Now with this statement, I'm tempted to tilt in a certain direction on the issue.

There are a couple of basic flaws in Sukur's logic here. So Uefa conspired against Gala, in favor of Juve, to what end exactly? We were already qualified, there is nothing to be done about that. In fact, we only needed one point from two games to win the group, based on our CL form this year prior to the Gala game, who would actually believe we couldn't at least get a draw with Olympiakos in our own back yard? To argue that Uefa wanted to do us a favor takes a fair bit of convincing. So what was the motive exactly? To help Sociedad qualify?

As Sukur, I would be counting my blessings. Di Vaio blew several huge chances and from every report I've read, it's a wonder that we didn't take the lead in the 1st half. Meanwhile Gala *had* to win the game. And they did, in fact they got better support in Dortmund than they would at home, according to Terim. So how exactly have Gala been wronged? I fail to grasp the point.
    if their hero is an idiot no wonder fans themselves are quite... misguided :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #5
    I'm sure there are plenty of reasonable people among them too. I heard one of the reasons people don't like Sukur is that he has a big ego. Apparently they wanted him the hell out of the national team cause he was trying to split the group and incite conflicts.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Let him gloat and get his glory now. It's not as if he's going to be able to do it for the National Team in June, anyway.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
    Let him gloat and get his glory now. It's not as if he's going to be able to do it for the National Team in June, anyway.
    Or for his own team, after december ;)

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    I really hope Sociedad get the job done agasint them. I CANNOT stand more Turkish fans gloating on the boards.

I just don't understand their logic.

On another board, i was accused of being racist for saying "No Turks in Euro 2004"

How the hell is that racist ?

Turkish fans / players think the whole world is agasint them.

Sukur can kiss my ass - that has-been... Galatasaray played agasint the 2nd string lineup and should have still lost had it not been for Di Vaio's misses and Miccolis bad luck . Even if Juve had been just 1 goal up at half time, we would have won.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I actually like the Turkey NT, except for arrogant characters like Sukur. What a cocky bastard, thinking he's so good for beating our bench...wow...

Please Darko (and Chun-Soo :D), score a hat-trick each against them :fero:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Sukr is stupid,,, no he is double stupid.

Is a very reasonable thing coming from UEFA to change a fixture... because of this problems.
    What sukur will say if a crazy turk enter and explodes in the middle of the field killing all the juve and gala players in one shot??.

Stupid sukur.

And it was a lot better to play in dortmund.. as it was known that a big amount of gala fans would be able to reach that stadium. IMO it was a great move by UEFA.

I dont know what this sukur guy wants... his country is not safety, and this kind of events can provoke those stupid extremist to create havoc.

Aug 1, 2003
    I wanted Gala to qualify and I still hope they do..
    But yes it is a bit stupid of them to blame UEFA for changing the venue.. it was safety measures for god's sake!

unless sukur suggests that UEFA caused the bombings so that they would have to move the venue to give credit to Juve.. :dazed:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    all this because it so happened that two "big" teams were to play in turkey after the attacks.if it were two minor ones,then no doubt there wouldn't be any of this nonsense.

also, hakan sukur also fails to see that by moving the match to germany,he and the rest of the gala team were also safe from whatever the maniacs could still be planning in turkey.it's not as if the move was made purely in juve's interests.

one blast and all of the juve and gala teams' players would have their arses blown off.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    also, hakan sukur also fails to see that by moving the match to germany,he and the rest of the gala team were also safe from whatever the maniacs could still be planning in turkey.it's not as if the move was made purely in juve's interests.

one blast and all of the juve and gala teams' players would have their arses blown off.
    Maybe Hakan thought that the terrorists use smart-bombs that don't target red and yellow :rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2003
    maybe the smart bombs are made to attack red and black instead. :D

being serious, why does the turk clubs think moving the venue is such a bad idea? i mean, its at germany for gods sake, and the attendance at dortmund was mainly made of gala fans

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    being serious, why does the turk clubs think moving the venue is such a bad idea? i mean, its at germany for gods sake, and the attendance at dortmund was mainly made of gala fans
    Because everyone knows the atmosphere that Turkish stadiums have, and they felt cheated because UEFA took that away...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)