Will Freddy Adu be better than Wayne Rooney? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2004
Does the great young American Freddy Adu have more potential than the hyped-up Wayne Rooney?

Freddy is close to 4 years younger than Wine-o, I mean Wayne-o, and is a seemingly more stylistic player than his older counterpart.

Even though Rooney is a young prospect, he already has the stature of a player in his prime, where as the young Freddy is not even past his adolescence.

Therefore can one make an assumption that Adu has more potential than Rooney?

Buy on AliExpress.com

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
well i havnt seen freddy do anything at all really, but i assume if hes 14 and in the mls hes probably done some amazing shit before

well come to think of it the mls is crap, i should be in it too of course :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I've seen Freddy play a bit here in the States. He's impressive as a 14-year-old when matched up against 17-year-olds. No small feat. But his play is as bland as toast from what I've seen in the meager MLS against mature players. Far too much needs to happen between where he is now and his proficiency at a Rooney-esque 18 years of age. And far too many chances for things to go off course. We've seen fade-outs far too many times before of the next big thing.

And as Don sez, Freddy's skillset is something very different from Rooney's.

Rooney had a great Euro 2004 and one wonder match in the CL this season. But Rooney's limited demonstration of brilliance has been against adults -- which is more than I can say for Adu at this stage.

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
ofcourse he will b better then fat rooney :p

only 15 and he is wanted by all major clubs here.

Alex

May 1, 2004
There are far better players coming out of south america. Its just a case of media influence and the fact that america (north) has never had a talented footballer before

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    Well Andy and I have both played against Adu, and he straight whored us, he made us look like Nedved playing against a couple 12 year olds. He had 4 goals in the first half, and one was a scissor-kick upper 90 from the top of the 18.

I agree that there might be good tallent coming out of S. America, there always has been, so yea its a big deal when the US has a player that could be, notice how I said "COULD BE," the next Ronaldinho.

Swag said his play is bland? Who are you watching, he beat up on a Jamaican international defender, his last name is Marshall, against the LA Galaxy to score his secod goal; which was a left-footed (his better foot) upper 90 strike from about 19 yds. out.

I will bet my life on it that if he goes to one of the clubs that has been known to have a good youth system (Ajaz), he could be bloody brilliant!

Also, one has to consider that Rooney didn't play at the highest level of competition until he was 16 or 17, Freddy started at 14, even though it is the MLS, I would say that gives Adu a leg up.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    Well Andy and I have both played against Adu, and he straight whored us, he made us look like Nedved playing against a couple 12 year olds.
    Wow he whored you AND andy? Jez he is obviously the best player in the world.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    I know nothing about football and i still feel like i dont talk as much crap as fussball. No offence to fussball of course, but damn he talks alot of crap :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    well people here think that Maresca,Ibrahimovic and Miccoli are the big shots while Rooney,Gerrard generally English players are all shit.whats funny about the whole matter is that in the last 2 major tournaments England has reached a much far stage than Italy,and they always find some excuse for it(Moreno,a conspiracy between the scandinavians e.t.c)

summary:people here are so biased.

Dec 27, 2003
    Getting out in the next round is reaching a much further stage?

I admit though that the fact that England has gone further than Italy in two successive tournaments is exceptional enough - if not unique : I can't honestly remember this happening at any other time in history - to be underlined:cheesy:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
    I know nothing about football and i still feel like i dont talk as much crap as fussball. No offence to fussball of course, but damn he talks alot of crap :D
    :LOL: I thought you stay out of football threads. You're making us look like idiots. :D

Geof

May 14, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    BUTTIGLIONE BUFFONE
    :D :thumb:

About Adu: he's talented, yes. But how many talented players never made it? call me when you counted them all :D
    the point is, if everything goes well for him he can be a hell of a player.

I said "if"

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    well people here think that Maresca,Ibrahimovic and Miccoli are the big shots while Rooney,Gerrard generally English players are all shit.whats funny about the whole matter is that in the last 2 major tournaments England has reached a much far stage than Italy,and they always find some excuse for it(Moreno,a conspiracy between the scandinavians e.t.c)

summary:people here are so biased.
    Looks who's talking. :rolleyes:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    I agree that there might be good tallent coming out of S. America, there always has been, so yea its a big deal when the US has a player that could be, notice how I said "COULD BE," the next Ronaldinho.
    Which is why you've got Barca signing 12-year-olds...

Swag said his play is bland? Who are you watching, he beat up on a Jamaican international defender, his last name is Marshall, against the LA Galaxy to score his secod goal; which was a left-footed (his better foot) upper 90 strike from about 19 yds. out.
    Didn't see that goal. But of the 3-4 MLS matches I've watched, he didn't make a particularly significant impact. Which is a success in itself -- the fact that you don't know it's a 14-year-old out on the pitch says something. But that's what I've seen thus far: a young kid who plays like a competent adult professional.

So at the absolute worst, he should be able to mature and become a decent player -- since he's already there. But still, that's all he is at the moment: a decent player. A lot can happen, or not, between now and 18.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)