Wikileaks (5 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003

A comment from this video:

"The more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable. They can begin to think for themselves. I can tell you that in the United States, the fact that we have free internet — or unrestricted internet access is a source of strength, and I think should be encouraged,"

-Barack Obama, talking in China

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #407
    I'll one up you, in spirit of Barney Frank. "When they aren't kissing little boys, they're performing fellatio on them."

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Good job.

Julian Assange supporters plan protests worldwide

Protests will be held around the world today against the detention of Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks.

Demonstrations are planned in the capitals of Spain, the Netherlands, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico and Peru to demand Assange's release, the re-establishment of WikiLeaks domain name and the restoration of Visa and Mastercard credit services to allow supporters to donate money to the whistleblowing site.

A statement on the Spanish-language website Free WikiLeaks said: "We seek the liberation of Julian Assange in United Kingdom territory." The website called on protesters to gather at 6pm (17.00 GMT) in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Seville and three other Spanish cities.

It also calls for "the re-establishment of the WikiLeaks (wikileaks.org) internet domain," and the restoration of Visa and MasterCard credit card services to enable the "freedom to move money" because no one has "proved Assange's guilt", nor charged WikiLeaks with any crime.

Assange is in Wandsworth prison in south London after being refused bail on Tuesday. Sweden is seeking his extradition over allegations of sexual assault.

His lawyers said yesterday they are preparing for a possible indictment by the US authorities.

Jennifer Robinson said her team had heard from "several different US lawyers rumours that an indictment was on its way or had happened already, but we don't know".

According to some reports, Washington is seeking to prosecute Assange under the 1917 act, which was used unsuccessfully to try to gag the New York Times when it published the Pentagon Papers in the 1970s. However, despite escalating rhetoric over the past fortnight, no charges have yet been lodged, and government sources say they are unaware any such move is being prepared.

Robinson said Assange's team did not believe the US had grounds to prosecute him but understood that Washington was "looking closely at other charges, such as computer charges, so we have one eye on it".

Earlier this week, the US attorney general, Eric Holder, said the US had been put at risk by the flood of confidential diplomatic documents released by WikiLeaks and he authorised a criminal investigation.

delrey

Jan 5, 2009
    Fox News pundits call for the assassination of Julian Assange

A comment from this video:

"The more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable. They can begin to think for themselves. I can tell you that in the United States, the fact that we have free internet — or unrestricted internet access is a source of strength, and I think should be encouraged,"

-Barack Obama, talking in China
    OMG. They can say that, just like that

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    There is no unrestricted internet access in the US. Neither is there anywhere else. And it remains to be seen whether or not that really would make society stronger. Generally censorship is bad. Sometimes it is necessary.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    There is no unrestricted internet access in the US. Neither is there anywhere else. And it remains to be seen whether or not that really would make society stronger. Generally censorship is bad. Sometimes it is necessary.
    "Isn't it perverse that the US joined other western nations yesterday to support the Chinese Nobel peace prize winner Liu Xiaobo. After all, they tell us, he is only practising his right to free speech. These are the same nations that silence anyone who tries to do the same here. Is the US led free world really as bad as China? Well hell yes, just annoy the political elite enough and you'll find out.. I would say ask Julian Assange, but I just remembered you cant..... he's in prison, just like Liu Xiaobo."

Brilliant.

Apr 12, 2004
    "Isn't it perverse that the US joined other western nations yesterday to support the Chinese Nobel peace prize winner Liu Xiaobo. After all, they tell us, he is only practising his right to free speech. These are the same nations that silence anyone who tries to do the same here. Is the US led free world really as bad as China? Well hell yes, just annoy the political elite enough and you'll find out.. I would say ask Julian Assange, but I just remembered you cant..... he's in prison, just like Liu Xiaobo."

Brilliant.
    Going as my facebook status.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004

Brilliant.
    :tup:

Who said this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)