Why wasn´t Juve interested in Owen? (1 Viewer)

kweku

Jul 20, 2002
Actually when I first thought about it, I was thinking like most of you, crazy deal, but when I saw the price, I must say that Real madrid has pulled of another great deal, £8 for a player like Owen and with his marketvalue is a steal. They probably made money by buying Beckham and dont forget real Madrid has 100% of his image righs. Owens transfer sum will be paid by selling shirt, So Real isn´t spending big money, they are basically getting him for free. And even if I think he is an overrated player, he scores goals you have give him that, And I think he needs a new challenge , his pace will be well suited for those spanish defenses and dont fogets his market value as I said, like it or not football is business aswell nowadays. And sure Real Madrid needed a CB or DM more than a striker, but who is to say that they wont get niether just because they bought Owen?

And it got me thinking, why wasn´t juve interested in him? ok his not the kind of striker we need and yes I feel is kind of overrated and to be honest I dont even like him. But you cant deny that he is good enough for Juve and since he went to Reral madrid his prepared to sit on the bench. Its the 14 of august now and Juve still hasn´t bought a 4th striker, clearly Juve doesn´t seem certain to get a specific player and Owen would be capable of grabbing a first shirt. And I rather see jUve splashing out £8 on a player like Owen then buying a player like, Inzaghi for £2. With the shirts sales the amount would basically be the same. And obviously he earns more than a player like S,Inzaghi but dont forget Juve would grow as a team and be more popular. Selling more mercandish and tv rights.

But sad to say Juve are a closeminded club they barely have a official site for english speaking fans, they didn´t even have a real traning ground and this one of the biggest clubs in the world! But at least know we have the new traning complex and are building a new stadium. But we still have a far way before we reach Man utd and Real Madrid in terms of business!

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
in the recent times, looks like juventus was managed in a way that we as fans are finding hard to understand.

i would like to think that the managers are professionals and that they see differently and they know better than us.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
We weren't interested in Owen because the chances are he would have failed miserably in Serie A. I don't think his game would suit the Italian league even remotely.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
We weren't interested in Owen because the chances are he would have failed miserably in Serie A. I don't think his game would suit the Italian league even remotely.
He's no different than Inzaghi or Di Vaio, and they've done well in Italy. I think that he could have done just as well here as anywhere else, but we didn't want him because he's not as good as his wage and he's too small.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
we have more than our fair share of small people
Exactly, we certainly don't need another. Especially if he's injury proned and over-paid. I mean, we might as well clone Del Piero...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
In fact i think Owen is overrated. And with Baros around, i doubt Rafael Benitez would have ne difficulty in making the decision he did. Real have spent 8 million purely for the huge english asian fan base if not anything else, because i dont see where and how Owen fits in a lineup that already has Morientes, Raul and Ronaldo. As for Juve buying Owen? Seriously?

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
In fact i think Owen is overrated. And with Baros around, i doubt Rafael Benitez would have ne difficulty in making the decision he did. Real have spent 8 million purely for the huge english asian fan base if not anything else, because i dont see where and how Owen fits in a lineup that already has Morientes, Raul and Ronaldo. As for Juve buying Owen? Seriously?
Easy decision to choose Baros over Owen? Please. Owen was a proven liverpool forward, Baros had one decent international tournament, lets wait and see if he can keep it going in the EPL. And anyways Owen would always have been a starter, thats like Juve leaving out Del Piero. It dosent happen.

Also I think its quite funny to see everyone say how 'shite' Owen is. Hes had injury problems and hasnt exactly been back to his best lately, but that says nothing about his quality. Hes a fantastic striker and hes proven that. When Owen plays against you, you are worried about it. He would easily walk into the Juve line up.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by kweku ] ++
But sad to say Juve are a closeminded club they barely have a official site for english speaking fans, they didn´t even have a real traning ground and this one of the biggest clubs in the world! But at least know we have the new traning complex and are building a new stadium. But we still have a far way before we reach Man utd and Real Madrid in terms of business!
:confused: No training ground? Since Juve moved into the Delle Alpi (built for 1990 World Cup) Juve trained at the Stadio Comunale, which was a fantastic training ground, albeit a quickly aging facade. But, what it lacked in beauty it made up for in the quality of its pitch.

Juve is managed like a well-run smaller club, and not run like the other giants. Juve does not have massive debts, pays taxes on time, and because of this has secured the furture of the club. Look at the free spending of Roma and Lazio. Lazio spent tons of cash they didn't have and won a grand total of one scudetto. Now they risk disappearing as a club. Roma, also one scudetto, and every year they risk not having the money needed to register for Serie A. Do we want this at Juve? No thank you.

Owen is a fine player, but certainly not what we need. We have pocket-sized strikers with great ball skills in Miccoli and Del Piero. If we sign a forward it will be a tall, powerful striker ala Ibrahimovic, Cruz, Vieri (that type of player). Also, I don't think anybody in Italy expected Owen to ever leave Liverpool, even if there was interest.

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
Owen? playing in Serie A? are you serious?

he will end up like DP....always injured and lose his touch more faster than UPS delivery:lazy:

Sep 14, 2003
I'm in agreement with River on this, Owen is a great striker, small yes, but with a lot of pace, something we are missing in attack.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
He's no different than Inzaghi or Di Vaio, and they've done well in Italy. I think that he could have done just as well here as anywhere else, but we didn't want him because he's not as good as his wage and he's too small.
I'm sorry but he's absolutely nothing at all like either of those players, particularly Inzaghi, where you got that one from I don't know.

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
I'm in agreement with River on this, Owen is a great striker, small yes, but with a lot of pace, something we are missing in attack.
we have dp/micco to occupy the small guy roles....we need a trez backup.....but owen woulda given us a massive improvement in the marketing department.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Easy decision to choose Baros over Owen? Please. Owen was a proven liverpool forward, Baros had one decent international tournament, lets wait and see if he can keep it going in the EPL. And anyways Owen would always have been a starter, thats like Juve leaving out Del Piero. It dosent happen.

Also I think its quite funny to see everyone say how 'shite' Owen is. Hes had injury problems and hasnt exactly been back to his best lately, but that says nothing about his quality. Hes a fantastic striker and hes proven that. When Owen plays against you, you are worried about it. He would easily walk into the Juve line up.
Owen has been a victim of the media, being the much hyped wonder kid ever since his world cup goal against Argentina in 98. He's done nothing before or after that. I might agree with the seriousness of the situation, though: It is indeed like dropping Dp from a Juve starting line up. But, i think you'd agree with me if i say, Fabio Capello will have no sentiment in his decision to pick or drop Dp, like Lippi did. The same goes with Rafael Benitez: he saw Owen for what he was, a victim of the media, a child wonder who dint really become the player he was expected to become. And Owen has had injury problems since i can remember. Hasnt been his best lately ? Yea, give or take a few years. ;)
Owen would not walk in to Juve or any italian team for that matter, because the Serie A is not suited to his game. Personally, i dont see how he will be of any use to Madrid, because every striker on that team is better than him. Like i said earlier, its a marketing gimmick more than anything else.

Jul 28, 2002
my dads a red, my bro is a red...i watch the reds often with them.....and to me owen was a hinderence to their playing style.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)