why 'old lady' (1 Viewer)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Cos when Juventus was formed back over a century ago, there used to be this old lady who would go to watch them play. Therefore Juventus was 'the team of the old lady' and thus has been called the old lady every since.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Well cos probably it was normal for a young boy to be watching a football game, but not so normal for an old lady ;)

Yeah baggio in the irony in this case is really funny.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Cos when Juventus was formed back over a century ago, there used to be this old lady who would go to watch them play. Therefore Juventus was 'the team of the old lady' and thus has been called the old lady every since.
and also because it's somehow means respect. the respected lady

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
But thats where i think this whole irony kinda eerily ties up nicely. The enthusiasm of youth. And the wisdom of age.

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
Isnt "Old Lady" a standard term for something that has been there for quite some time?

It also means the most respected.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
I've heard mant different explainations... but the one I believe is this one: Juve were playing really bad around the beginning of the 1920's. A journalist wrote that they were playing like an old lady. Everybody kept calling them the old lady, and eventually Juventus themselfs started using the nickname.

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
juventus found by the students from D'Azeglio Lyceum. they want to make a sport club. they named the club "juventus" because it's more universal and means "young/youth".

before they decide to use "Juventus", they want to named the club "Augusta Tourinorum".

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I think this was asked before in the "how much do you know about football?" thread.

The answers I've heard are:

The old lady used to go watch them (that's pretty random though)

An old lady used to own the club

We are the oldest of the 'seven sisters' of italian football (and the most succesful :D)

Jul 7, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I think this was asked before in the "how much do you know about football?" thread.

The answers I've heard are:

The old lady used to go watch them (that's pretty random though)

An old lady used to own the club

We are the oldest of the 'seven sisters' of italian football (and the most succesful :D)
Nice :)

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
I've heard mant different explainations... but the one I believe is this one: Juve were playing really bad around the beginning of the 1920's. A journalist wrote that they were playing like an old lady. Everybody kept calling them the old lady, and eventually Juventus themselfs started using the nickname.
Thats the same story i heard about...

Juve was the most dominant team in Seria A for a while, and then they suddenly wanished from the top 3 and stopped winning the league the next 10 seasons or something like that. And then a journalist claimed that juve was to weak to win the league again and called them "The old lady"...

But like we all know, juve are back again.

sebastian

Jul 24, 2002
i heard on the television last year that the name old lady comes from a time that juve played so bad it was horrible to look at. the team looks like an old lady who's playing football. and so we get that name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)