Why Martin is all giddy about Ubuntu (1 Viewer)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #43
    I'm just messing around, not taking anything away from Ubuntu, which is a solid distro and which could very easily be The One of the linux world, but the millionaire behind them surely adds something to its success. Here's what they say on Canonical's site:

Founded in late 2004, Canonical Ltd is a company headquartered in Europe with 130 employees working in over 18 countries. Canonical is the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu project.
    Well, I don't know how many employees Redhat has but Debian literally has *thousands* of developers. Probably more than any other distro. So my point here is that what differentiates Ubuntu is how they use their resources.

Then again, as they say, a good product sells itself so I may be talking shite because I've ditched Ubuntu. :p
    It absolutely does not, people have to know about it first.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

It absolutely does not, people have to know about it first.
    Not necessarilly, I speak from personal experience here. My firms whole business has grew in the last 10 years without any marketing or advertising. And I mean grew tremendeously, all beacuse of one quality manufacturer(which no one ever heard of before in Croatia) and his products.

When you have something good, people see it's good right away and word spreads very quickly. Though that something has to be exceptional of course. Ubuntu could be that but I believe the marketing support they recieve has a huge part in its success.

Why's that so hard to accept, you're still a Gentoo user FFS. :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #47
    Not necessarilly, I speak from personal experience here. My firms whole business has grew in the last 10 years without any marketing or advertising. And I mean grew tremendeously, all beacuse of one quality manufacturer(which no one ever heard of before in Croatia) and his products.

When you have something good, people see it's good right away and word spreads very quickly. Though that something has to be exceptional of course. Ubuntu could be that but I believe the marketing support they recieve has a huge part in its success.
    You know economic theory is so romantic and blissful, but when the realities don't reflect the assumptions of the theory, it isn't very useful.

If all your clients got Windows pre-installed (metaphorically speaking) your supplier wouldn't sell more than 5 units of anything.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

You know economic theory is so romantic and blissful, but when the realities don't reflect the assumptions of the theory, it isn't very useful.

If all your clients got Windows pre-installed (metaphorically speaking) your supplier wouldn't sell more than 5 units of anything.
    Oh, you'd be surprised Martin, the Ex-Yu market is very specific one and complicated one. Trust me, there were more than 3,4 different manufacturers that covered the whole country for a number of years before we brought our product. Ours was of superior quality, more practical and more reliable than everything that was already there. Hell it was and still is a lot more expensive than everything else, which means everything here, and it still found it's way ahead of everyone.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    TBH, if you are a gamer and can't part with your PC games, then I wouldn't suggest switching and banking on "Virtualization". Rather, I would suggest that you keep your gaming rig solely for games and all the other stuff Linux....

As for virtualization, what Jack said. Where you have a program that sits as a translation layer between the software you want to run and the "foreign" operating system that wouldn't "understand" the software without the "translator"....I don't know if this is right technically but this is how I understand it....
    so I can use Windows AND Linux on the same computer ?

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    so I can use Windows AND Linux on the same computer ?
    Yes you can. You can dual boot...Ubuntu should make that a breeze, you wouldn't even notice it in the installation process.

Not for me, I totally got rid of Windows, but let's not kid ourselves, I had Windows on another computer.

Well I got rid of Windows totally too, but I had it for the first couple of month just in case, not that I used it, but it was there....

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    If that was the case, people would have ditched Windows as far back as 2000, but they did not. A good product can only sell itself with the aid of advertising. That is where Canonical comes in.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Well software is a different story.

And I've been saying that about Canonical all along, me and Martin strayed off topic a little bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)