Why Italy wont win a major torny. (1 Viewer)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Copy, and pasted from the Romanista site I came from, and I dont have time to re-write it, this is why I dont believe that we can win a major tornement. (I did this before the first qualifiers).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me take you back to Bulgaria Vs Italy.

Eventally we won, and the 2nd half was one of the best performances by an Italian team I have seen. But we have a huge problem, we probably have the most naturally talented players in the world. BUT hardly anyone really tries hard. For an example Corradi, you'd of expected him to be trying his hardest in that game to establish himself in International football, but no not him, he doesnt try and is useless. Should of brought Gilardino or Miccoli. Too many of our players believe they just have to 'show up' to win games. They dont respect there opposition, which is why probably more then any other country, we seem to be getting shooked by smaller team who try hard against us. Shook defeats and draws. We should be winning World Cups and European Championships, more then any other country. Only Gattuso, Cassano and Zambrotta seemed to actually care that they're playing for Italy. Too many players take their position for granted. And the only way I see us winning something is with younger players, in major championships. Not players who dont deserve to play for us. If you look at the players who performed well for there respective countries. Rooney, Cassano, Ronaldo, Robben, Lahm. It is most of the youngster who outperformed there 'superstar' team-mates. I hope Lippi is more willing to try youngsters in the future if we are to ever win again!

Buy on AliExpress.com

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
If that Bulgaria second half is the best he has seen of Italy, then he hasnt seen much, Corradi- no use to mock, because he is simply a useless player anyhow.

I think the problem is that Italy has to many primadonnas, plus the wrong "mentality".

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    We should always be winning on paper, we are a match for anyone, and especially arguable France and Holland, we have the strongest squad!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Nicole's right. Younger players seem to be the answer nowadays. Obviously world-class performers like Buffon, Nesta, Zambrotta and Totti will keep their places, but the youngsters seem to have the will to win more than the older guys do. I hope to see alot of De Rossi, Cassano and Gilardino at WC06.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
    Italy is horrible when it comes to international competition. Damn that defensive style, everytime we have a lead, we sit back and defend, and most of the time, we'll give up a goal in the last minute.
    Italy, with all the qualities, should be playing attacking footbal, instead of defending, they should be keeping the ball in the opponent's half.
    Well, at least trap is gone now, so maybe Lippi will play a more attacking brand. And Italy won't win anything until they play a more attacking brand of football.

Aug 26, 2003
    cause of Trappatoni?

here is a list that i found: it seems that LIppi had to choose 50 players for i think the WC 2006, where he can make the other selection!Abbiati (Milan), Buffon (Juventus), Pelizzoli (Roma), Peruzzi (Lazio), Roma (Monaco); Barzagli (Chievo), Bonera (Parma), Birindelli, F Cannavaro, Legrottaglie, Zambrotta (Juventus), Favalli, Materazzi (Internazionale), Ferrari (Roma), Nesta, Pancaro (Milan), Oddo, Zauri (Lazio), Parisi (Messina), Zaccardo (Palermo); Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo (Milan), Barone, Marchionni (Parma), Blasi, Camoranesi, Tacchinardi (Juventus), Diana, Volpi (Sampdoria), De Rossi, Perrotta (Roma), Esposito (Cagliari), Fiore (Valencia), Pinzi (Udinese), Semioli (Chievo), C Zanetti (Inter); Bazzani, Flachi (Sampdoria), Cassano, Montella, Totti (Roma), Corradi, Di Vaio (Valencia), Del Piero (Juventus), Gilardino (Parma), F Inzaghi (Milan), Miccoli (Fiorentina), Toni (Palermo), Vieri (Inter)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    I disagree, Brazil or Argentina have the most naturally gifted players.
    Yeah you're right, but Italy still have an amazing squad on paper.

They can rely on what I think is the strongest defence in world football, or at least one of the strongest, as Nesta, Cannavaro and Zambrotta are world-class players, while the best goalkeeper on earth, Gigi Buffon, must not be forgotten. Gattuso is one of Europe's better defensive midfielders imo, and Francesco Totti is viewed by many as a player who can decide games with his brilliance. Upfront there is no lack of options; Lippi can choose from Vieri, Del Piero, Cassano, Inzaghi, Di Vaio, Corradi and many, many more. Young talents like Bonera, Ferrari, De Rossi, Marchionni and Gilardino also ensure that the future of Italian football is bright. Really and truly there's no reason why the Azzurri shouldn't succeed.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    True. But what is this oppsession with Italian fans that Italy has to win major titles. I mean look, there is a major competition every 2 years and there are a lot of great teams out there. Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain, Holland, England, etc, it's only normal that you cant win every time. Out of 5 or 10 world class teams there are only 1 can be champion. It's hard to be that one.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Of course, but the fans are upset because Italy have the requirements to be that one team who lifts the trophy.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Which is why when those teams don't win their respective fans also get upset, just like the Italians ;)

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    True. But what is this oppsession with Italian fans that Italy has to win major titles. I mean look, there is a major competition every 2 years and there are a lot of great teams out there. Brazil, Argentina, France, Spain, Holland, England, etc, it's only normal that you cant win every time. Out of 5 or 10 world class teams there are only 1 can be champion. It's hard to be that one.
    Because, we're easily good enough! And we havent won win 1982!

As for Argentina and Brazil having the most naturally gifted players, that is true but they arent as good as Italy at developing that talent, which is why many talented players fall are the wayside!

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Yeah you're right, but Italy still have an amazing squad on paper.

They can rely on what I think is the strongest defence in world football, or at least one of the strongest, as Nesta, Cannavaro and Zambrotta are world-class players, while the best goalkeeper on earth, Gigi Buffon, must not be forgotten. Gattuso is one of Europe's better defensive midfielders imo, and Francesco Totti is viewed by many as a player who can decide games with his brilliance. Upfront there is no lack of options; Lippi can choose from Vieri, Del Piero, Cassano, Inzaghi, Di Vaio, Corradi and many, many more. Young talents like Bonera, Ferrari, De Rossi, Marchionni and Gilardino also ensure that the future of Italian football is bright. Really and truly there's no reason why the Azzurri shouldn't succeed.
    right 100000000000000%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)