Why doesn't Camoranesi sing the anthem?? (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I dislike singing my national anthem. It's a horrible song glorifying a martial attitude that disgusts me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amhrán_na_bhFiann

I'm also kind of reluctant to go in for the jingoistic pride national anthems seem to inspire. Sure, fine for a sporting event, but they're glorified like some sort of quasi-religious thing. Chewing gum is a disgrace? Talking is disrespectful? Not singing is some sort of insult? Go invade some poor African country, would you, and leave me in peace to watch the football.

Buy on AliExpress.com

jussiut

Feb 22, 2005
I don't think if we can generalize that the national anthems have lost their meaning in Western Europe or in the Nordic Countries. Sure, very few are so patriotic anymore that they sing it even weekly but during sporting events it's a very important symbol to the Finns at least. I know we are all under the big flag of EU and everything but in Finland the anthem is not ignored nor even remotely despised. Of course there are cultural differences but the point I guess I'm trying to make is that the anthem is still held in some esteem in some Western civilization countries.

Camo's allowed not to sing of course, it's quite ridiculous to claim otherwise (now there's something on-topic in my post also) :D

loyada

Feb 6, 2005
I remember when cantona was asked why he does not sing the national anthem , he said:I cry when I hear "La Marseillaise" it is "war/militaristic song".
La marseillaise was initially called "Marching Song of the Rhine Army"

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Oh well, at least they played the Italian national anthem properly before the match. I couldn't help but giggle when I heard the Korean anthem being played for the second time, after organisers got it mixed up with Togo's. Hehe!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
jussiut said:
I don't think if we can generalize that the national anthems have lost their meaning in Western Europe or in the Nordic Countries. Sure, very few are so patriotic anymore that they sing it even weekly but during sporting events it's a very important symbol to the Finns at least. I know we are all under the big flag of EU and everything but in Finland the anthem is not ignored nor even remotely despised. Of course there are cultural differences but the point I guess I'm trying to make is that the anthem is still held in some esteem in some Western civilization countries.
I realise that. But here's something important:

Camo's allowed not to sing of course, it's quite ridiculous to claim otherwise (now there's something on-topic in my post also) :D
See, that's a very Northern European thing to say. You won't hear that attitude quite as much when you go to other places. I'm not saying we despise our anthems, but we don't think it's something that should be sung and respected at all times and not doing so resembles blasphemy.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Erik said:
All of what you said requires living in a country with a strong sense of national pride. Most of Western Europe (I said Western, doesn't include Italy) doesn't have those sentiments anymore. Definitely not the Germanic and Nordic countries. People in Germany and the Netherlands never even hear or sing their national anthem, except for during sports events such as the World Cup or the Olympics. We just don't do it, it's not in our cultures to be all proud of a geographical entity: we think it makes fairly little sense.
but isnt not having a strong sense of national pride something bad?imagine if 50 years from,no one has ANY sense of national pride let alone a strong one.

i kinda fail to see the good that would come out of not being proud of where you come from but thats obviously because ive never lived in such a culture.

what good can come out of it anyway?

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
oh big deal! im not even italian yet i sing the italian national anthem will all my heart and soul, if camo wants to sing it he can, wot he does on the pitch is far more important than how good his voice is.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
DelpieroForLife said:
He can sing the anthem forever but it won't change the fact that he isn't italian.

to me hes italian, reguardless if he can sing the anthem or not, he chose the nation he felt closer with, italy has been like his home as it s where he's spent the majority of his playing career

Dec 26, 2004
Badass Devil said:
to me hes italian, reguardless if he can sing the anthem or not, he chose the nation he felt closer with, italy has been like his home as it s where he's spent the majority of his playing career

I know it might sounds meaningless but country allegiance is somthing ya should have in yar blood, soul snd brain.

Singing the anthem simply change nothing.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
So what if he doesnt sing, he's argentinian and that doesnt mean he will give anything under 100% for italy afterall he can be very greatful that another nation gave him the chance 2 play at a world cup.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
axlrose85 said:
but isnt not having a strong sense of national pride something bad?imagine if 50 years from,no one has ANY sense of national pride let alone a strong one.

i kinda fail to see the good that would come out of not being proud of where you come from but thats obviously because ive never lived in such a culture.

what good can come out of it anyway?
Europe has seen what national pride can lead to. World Wars, nazism, discrimination, holocausts, genocide, massacres, empires, occupation, suppression, destruction, lost generations, depletion...

We are taught all the above in school, we are reminded of it through monuments, it has sunk in really deep into most European cultures. All this has lead to cultures where people consider nationalism to be an evil, or at least very dangerous (depending on where in Europe you go). To be proud of one's national football team is one thing, but you'll struggle to find a European who doesn't have a whole list of things they hate about their country and if you ask them, most of them will have an answer ready to "Where would you rather live?"

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
...or maybe it's because he has a silly voice and is ashamed of singing in public or something equally ridiculous. I fail to see any arguments for Camoranesi not singing the anthem because 'he isn't really Italian'.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
well...after all. camoanesi is not Italian....... is understandable that he doesnt has the love for the country-....like a true born italian would.

Yes, he is italian on paper but the love for the country u defend cant be put on paper.

IM not saying he dislike italy... but u got my point.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
he wouldnt play on the national team if he didnt love italy enough.....why wouldnt he love italy enough. when argentina shut him down italy was their for him.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Europe has seen what national pride can lead to. World Wars, nazism, discrimination, holocausts, genocide, massacres, empires, occupation, suppression, destruction, lost generations, depletion...

We are taught all the above in school, we are reminded of it through monuments, it has sunk in really deep into most European cultures. All this has lead to cultures where people consider nationalism to be an evil, or at least very dangerous (depending on where in Europe you go). To be proud of one's national football team is one thing, but you'll struggle to find a European who doesn't have a whole list of things they hate about their country and if you ask them, most of them will have an answer ready to "Where would you rather live?"
Which is one of the reasons I don't think I could live outside Europe. Though I partially disagree with you when you exclude Italy from that list. There's no such thing as Italian national pride, even though it's for other reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)