Why doesn't Camoranesi sing the anthem?? (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Camoranesi's loyalty to Italy questioned

DUISBURG (AFP) - Mauro Camoranesi's loyalty to Italy has been called into question after the Argentina-born midfielder explained why he doesn't sing the national anthem before matches.

When asked why he stands silently during 'L'Inno di Mameli', Camoranesi, who has dual nationality, replied: "I dont even sing my own. I dont know it (the Italian anthem), but my children sing it.

"The decision to play with this shirt has been taken. At the World Cup I am Italian. It's not worth asking me if I would like to play for Argentina
."

Born in Tandil, Camoranesi, who has Italian grandparents, moved to Italy from Argentina in 2001 to join Verona before securing a move to Juventus.

He won his first call-up for Italy in January 2003 and made his debut against Portugal on February 12.

Camoranesi's original selection for the squad caused outrage.

At the time, international goalkeeper Francesco Toldo said it could set a dangerous precedent.

Camoranesi's decision was made easier by Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa's decision to omit the player from his squad for a friendly against the Netherlands.

But Toldo said such manoeuvres should be kept to an absolute minimum.

"I'll say just one thing - Italy is for Italians, " Toldo said.

"The team must be representative of its national identity. To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he has an Italian grandparent, is a delicate situation and has to be properly evaluated."

Equally unhappy at the time was Italian star Roberto Baggio who was being tipped for an international recall at the time.

Baggio told the daily Corriere della Sera: 'Leave me alone - I am going to play for Argentina."

AFP
----------------------------------------------

That doesn't make him a worse player IMO...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh FFS. I wouldn't sing the Belgian national anthem either. Not because I dislike it or anything, but simply because I can't sing :D.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Bothered.. really. :dontcare:

But camo's still an overrated player with an attitude problem. Imo.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Seven said:
Oh FFS. I wouldn't sing the Belgian national anthem either. Not because I dislike it or anything, but simply because I can't sing :D.
Oh, you disappoint me, I was up on the tables singing god save our queen and I only know the last line. AV IT!! :pint:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No, Camoranesi is world class with an attitude problem :D. Though I can forgive him as his outbursts aren't absurd and understandable.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Tom said:
Oh, you disappoint me, I was up on the tables singing god save our queen and I only know the last line. AV IT!! :pint:
Well, let's be honest, we have all had that day when we went to the pub for an England game and ended up singing "God save the Queen". That's something completely else than the Brabançonne though.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    Seven said:
    No, Camoranesi is world class with an attitude problem :D. Though I can forgive him as his outbursts aren't absurd and understandable.
    :D :D

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Seven said:
    bah. Lets agree to half-disagree then. Or something.

And qudos for singing god save the queen. How embarassing for you though, its bad enough for me :D

BooQy

Jun 3, 2006
    yugoslav players never singed their anthem in 90s, and the fans always boo-ed it. for your country, at least someone is singing

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of hands-on-hearts at this year's World Cup? I seem to remember most players doing it in previous tournaments

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    In some ways, it bothers me that some people think that whether a player sings or not to the national anthem really matters in the big scheme of things.

Stickyicky

May 19, 2006
    I don't sing the Swedish national anthem either, but i do hum it, and whistle it sometimes.

When i was watching the Czech's-Usa match i found myself half singing half humming the American national anthem. It's just so damn catchy with so many cool words and phrases. Good melody too, other then that the rest of the countries national anthems suck rhino balls big time, at least melody wise.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    This is like when people made a big deal out of Zlatan chewing gum during the Swedish national anthem.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    What a pleasure it is to be Dutch. We've had parliamentary debates on whether we really need an anthem in these modern times anymore. Clearly it didn't amount to much and is barely worth mentioning but it does examplify how important the anthem is over here...

As for the Italian national anthem: I wouldn't learn it either. It's too fucking long. Imagine being Camoranesi and having to learn it because of all the fuss... In any case I'd consistently have to skip the part where the Italians sing they are eager to die for their country cause... Sorry, but that just ain't happening :D

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    i dont know about everyone else,but IMHO,singing your country's national anthem when you're representing it on a global level does give you a sense of national pride.maybe it doesnt work for everyone but still.ive grown up in a country where all schools sing the country's national anthem after the morning assembly before the classes begin,so not singing the national anthem while its been played does seem odd to me.

ive always felt that there should be a certain level of discipline when your national anthem is being played.not singing it MIGHT be somewhat acceptable,but talking around or paying attention to something else for those few minutes is disrespectful imo.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    axlrose85 said:
    i dont know about everyone else,but IMHO,singing your country's national anthem when you're representing it on a global level does give you a sense of national pride.maybe it doesnt work for everyone but still.ive grown up in a country where all schools sing the country's national anthem after the morning assembly before the classes begin,so not singing the national anthem while its been played does seem odd to me.

ive always felt that there should be a certain level of discipline when your national anthem is being played.not singing it MIGHT be somewhat acceptable,but talking around or paying attention to something else for those few minutes is disrespectful imo.
    All of what you said requires living in a country with a strong sense of national pride. Most of Western Europe (I said Western, doesn't include Italy) doesn't have those sentiments anymore. Definitely not the Germanic and Nordic countries. People in Germany and the Netherlands never even hear or sing their national anthem, except for during sports events such as the World Cup or the Olympics. We just don't do it, it's not in our cultures to be all proud of a geographical entity: we think it makes fairly little sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)