Why doesn't Camoranesi sing the anthem?? (4 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:
Which is one of the reasons I don't think I could live outside Europe. Though I partially disagree with you when you exclude Italy from that list. There's no such thing as Italian national pride, even though it's for other reasons.
Regional pride, then. Whichever. Point is that a sense of pride tied to wherever the person is from is sincerely present in Italy compared to surrounding nations.

Wouldn't be the first time some bloke walks up to me in a club in Italy and goes: "Don't you wanna have sex with me? I'm Neapolitan!"

Like that's a pro... :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
put it this way, the spanish national anthem has no words :p

and how often have u seen in this wc the number of players that havnt sung the anthem, does that make them a victim of lack of national pride?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Hydde said:
well...after all. camoanesi is not Italian....... is understandable that he doesnt has the love for the country-....like a true born italian would.

Yes, he is italian on paper but the love for the country u defend cant be put on paper.

IM not saying he dislike italy... but u got my point.
I don't get your point either. There are immigrants to my country who have far more of a patriotic spirit than some people who have lived as citizens here for generations. I don't think the location stated on your birth certificate means squat when it comes to love for the country. It means even less than that when it comes to who sings your national anthem or not.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Regional pride, then. Whichever. Point is that a sense of pride tied to wherever the person is from is sincerely present in Italy compared to surrounding nations.

Wouldn't be the first time some bloke walks up to me in a club in Italy and goes: "Don't you wanna have sex with me? I'm Neapolitan!"

Like that's a pro... :D
:howler:

My point was that regional pride is unlikely to lead to genocides or wars. It did in the 16th century, but it would just look plain stupid these days if the Neapolitans decided to wage war on the Romans :D.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Seven said:

My point was that regional pride is unlikely to lead to genocides or wars. It did in the 16th century, but it would just look plain stupid these days if the Neapolitans decided to wage war on the Romans :D.
well you still have basque seperatists in spain, theough thankfully ETA's run of terror is over

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:

I dunno... I've lived among Neapolitans... I wouldn't rule it out :D

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
This is the dumbest topic ever. The majority of players at the WC don't sing along either. Baggio, Toldo and Fiore can throw themselves down the drain.

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
Sadomin said:
This is the dumbest topic ever. The majority of players at the WC don't sing along either. Baggio, Toldo and Fiore can throw themselves down the drain.
True. It's just 2 years at the most that Italian football players (pretend to) sing the anthem. And they do it just because they were forced to by endless polemics.

And, if we want to go specific, I really doubt that at least some of the 23 could explain what the hell the "elmo di scipio" and "coorte" mean. :disagree:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
isha00 said:
True. It's just 2 years at the most that Italian football players (pretend to) sing the anthem. And they do it just because they were forced to by endless polemics.

And, if we want to go specific, I really doubt that at least some of the 23 could explain what the hell the "elmo di scipio" and "coorte" mean. :disagree:
"Scipio's helmet" after Cornelius Scipio, Roman general who defeated Hannibal of Carthage.

"Coorte" translates as "Legions", as I recall.

Aahh The Hague University's Italian Language and Culture course :smoke:

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
Erik said:
"Scipio's helmet" after Cornelius Scipio, Roman general who defeated Hannibal of Carthage.

"Coorte" translates as "Legions", as I recall.

Aahh The Hague University's Italian Language and Culture course :smoke:
Nice to see that you know :wink:
But I would pay to hear the answers of the players. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
What a pleasure it is to be Dutch. We've had parliamentary debates on whether we really need an anthem in these modern times anymore. Clearly it didn't amount to much and is barely worth mentioning but it does examplify how important the anthem is over here...

As for the Italian national anthem: I wouldn't learn it either. It's too fucking long. Imagine being Camoranesi and having to learn it because of all the fuss... In any case I'd consistently have to skip the part where the Italians sing they are eager to die for their country cause... Sorry, but that just ain't happening :D
Dulce et decorum est ...

Tariq

Jun 17, 2003
Ok this is getting too philosophical :)

and I don't know anything about Philosophy...all I know is that Camoranesi has only been living in Italy for 4 years and never had to sing the national anthem until he was lined up with the Azzurri for the Euro 2004 qualifiers and then the Italians went home after playing 3 games. Then the WC qualifiers and i'm not sure how many he played + the game on Monday.

Ok i'm not sure where i'm going with this :p ...but I don't think he has memorized it yet. He probably will know it by heart this year since Italy will be going all the way :)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
ReBeL said:
Camoranesi's loyalty to Italy questioned

DUISBURG (AFP) - Mauro Camoranesi's loyalty to Italy has been called into question after the Argentina-born midfielder explained why he doesn't sing the national anthem before matches.

When asked why he stands silently during 'L'Inno di Mameli', Camoranesi, who has dual nationality, replied: "I dont even sing my own. I dont know it (the Italian anthem), but my children sing it.

"The decision to play with this shirt has been taken. At the World Cup I am Italian. It's not worth asking me if I would like to play for Argentina
."

Born in Tandil, Camoranesi, who has Italian grandparents, moved to Italy from Argentina in 2001 to join Verona before securing a move to Juventus.

He won his first call-up for Italy in January 2003 and made his debut against Portugal on February 12.

Camoranesi's original selection for the squad caused outrage.

At the time, international goalkeeper Francesco Toldo said it could set a dangerous precedent.

Camoranesi's decision was made easier by Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa's decision to omit the player from his squad for a friendly against the Netherlands.

But Toldo said such manoeuvres should be kept to an absolute minimum.

"I'll say just one thing - Italy is for Italians, " Toldo said.

"The team must be representative of its national identity. To give the shirt to a foreigner, even if he has an Italian grandparent, is a delicate situation and has to be properly evaluated."

Equally unhappy at the time was Italian star Roberto Baggio who was being tipped for an international recall at the time.

Baggio told the daily Corriere della Sera: 'Leave me alone - I am going to play for Argentina."

AFP
----------------------------------------------

That doesn't make him a worse player IMO...
:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: for the reporter who has written this news.

big deal if one player didnt sing.

I saw arg-bosnia game today and Sorin was the only argentina player who sing the anthem! Does that mean 10 starting players for arg should be also questioned for loyalty

:tdown: pathetic stuff, someone really wants to f--k up italian football

every team has players who doesnt sing! ridicilous, rebel, do you know who wrote that news? and his email?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)