Why are Serie A clubs doing well in Euorpe this year? (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I wasn't talking so much about results as mere attitude. Italians are no longer feared in Holland nowadays ;)
That is the keyword right there FEAR, Italian teams are no more feared by teams around Europe any longer thats why there have been some surprising and not so unsurprising defeats lately

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2002
There is something more than not fearing is moveing the italian teams .... look at the teams which is still playing and qualified:

Juve.....Inter..... Milan.....Roma......Lazio(uefa cup)

these names is the names of the best teams in Italy and they are all in the same time which means that the power in italy returned to the big teams again ..... only big names can win in europe:thumb:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++
There is something more than not fearing is moveing the italian teams .... look at the teams which is still playing and qualified:

Juve.....Inter..... Milan.....Roma......Lazio(uefa cup)

these names is the names of the best teams in Italy and they are all in the same time which means that the power in italy returned to the big teams again ..... only big names can win in europe:thumb:
You do not have to be big but you have to be good and have a great game plan. The likes of Valencia, Depor and Newcastle are not big names but they still are in the Cl because they in the case of Valencia and Depor have played very well in recent times

In the Uefa cup, how many Italian teams are left, I think it is just one and when you count from Intertoto then you will see that the likes of Perugia, Torino, Brescia,Parma, Bologna etc have all fallen by the way side, beaten by not so big name teams but teams who do not fear italian teams anymore, infact some teams now relish meeting Italian teams as they are not the force they used to be

OP
Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #27
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    infact some teams now relish meeting Italian teams as they are not the force they used to be
    Denco, I must diagree with you on this one. Last year, Italians teams did very well in UEFA and yet, it is common belief that they failed to perform well in Europe due to the abysmal champions league results. The end of day, UEFA is petty competetion, which no big teams consider that highly.
    This year, I believe, Italian teams are restoring the damaged pride and reputation. 4-0trashing of Milan of Depor certainly helped.;) Also Juve put two exceptional performances against Basel, and Kiev. Roma beat Real at their own ground, although the latter is lacking form and talent compared to previous years. Furthermore, they should have taken a point against Arsenal. Shaaban was very lucky not to get sent off and give away the penalty. 3-1score line was very flattering for the Gunners.
    Inter haven't been totally convincing beside their wonderful performance against Newcastle. There was definitely a degree of luck involved in their victories against Ajax, and Leverkusen in San Siro. But they showed a lot character and deadlyness in front of goal due to their fearsome front two.
    Besides Italians have more points than either la liga or Premeirship this year in the champions league. Serie A is not dominating as it was in the late and most of the 90s, but it is still one of the best league in the world and probably on par with la liga and slightly better than Premeirship.

I think the reason why there are only one 1team Italian team left in UEFA is firstly, Italians does not put it into their priorities. Secondly, the general footballing standard in Europe has gone up. There are some very dangerous eastern European sides left in the draw. Also, let not forget Glasgow Celtics who have beaten a liga side Celta. It is not only Italian sides which is struggling against the so called whipping boys, Spanish and English haven't been too convincing either. Put this with the recent International results such as Italia's loss against Wales, Slovenia, and England's draw against Macedonia and latter's creditable performance against Turkey. Also, Albania gave Germany a real go in World Cup qualifiers couple of years ago. Even the might Holland have failed to make the World Cup. The indication is that there is less difference in playing level between the nations, and there is no reason why Eastern European. Portuguese, Greek, Dutch, Belgian team to fear against Italian, English and Spanish team.

OP
    Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    Merry Christmas to all
    :D
    (we, Japanese don't believe in Christianity but we still don't like to miss the party.!;):D)

Ahmed_

Bench Warmer
    Dec 23, 2002
    You do not have to be big but you have to be good and have a great game plan. The likes of Valencia, Depor and Newcastle are not big names but they still are in the Cl because they in the case of Valencia and Depor have played very well in recent times

In the Uefa cup, how many Italian teams are left, I think it is just one and when you count from Intertoto then you will see that the likes of Perugia, Torino, Brescia,Parma, Bologna etc have all fallen by the way side, beaten by not so big name teams but teams who do not fear italian teams anymore, infact some teams now relish meeting Italian teams as they are not the force they used to be
    yeah, but who wins the championship .......... is it valencia or newcastle? the answer it is non of them ................. it is real, bayren, man united, dotermoned( i dont know the spelling) and juve who won it for the last 6 years .......... it is only for big names:fero:

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    there are 4 italian teams in the final 16. that should be enough to prove the quality of italian football compared to other leagues.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++

yeah, but who wins the championship .......... is it valencia or newcastle? the answer it is non of them ................. it is real, bayren, man united, dotermoned( i dont know the spelling) and juve who won it for the last 6 years .......... it is only for big names:fero:
    Juve who won what for the last 6 years? What are you talking about? And what exactly is your point here? We are comparing Seriea's dominance of yesteryear to present day and I am saying the reason Italy is no more dominating in Europe .

Re: Primo-mp

When was the last time an Italina team competed in the final of either Uefa or Cl and its about 4 years ago, now compare that to Germany who have had Dortmund, Bayern and Bayer in the final, Spain have had Real madrid(3 times) Valencia (2 times), and Alaves in the final and England have had Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester united in the final

So how you now come and say Italian teams are doing well, or you think reaching the 1/4 finals is good enough when you spend more money than any other league?

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
    we're doing well because we're attacking more.
    this is what trap needs to do in the national team, make those forwads shine!

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
    Juve who won what for the last 6 years? What are you talking about? And what exactly is your point here? We are comparing Seriea's dominance of yesteryear to present day and I am saying the reason Italy is no more dominating in Europe .

Re: Primo-mp

When was the last time an Italina team competed in the final of either Uefa or Cl and its about 4 years ago, now compare that to Germany who have had Dortmund, Bayern and Bayer in the final, Spain have had Real madrid(3 times) Valencia (2 times), and Alaves in the final and England have had Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester united in the final

So how you now come and say Italian teams are doing well, or you think reaching the 1/4 finals is good enough when you spend more money than any other league?
    I'm talking about the present season of the CL. This year, Italy's doing well compared to other nations. Just imagine, for every group in the last 16, there's 1 italian team present. There's a higher possibility for Italy than any other country to win the Champions League. 4/16 = 1/4 is their chance to win it. compared to other teams who only have what? 3/16? 2/16?

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by primo_mp ] ++

I'm talking about the present season of the CL. This year, Italy's doing well compared to other nations. Just imagine, for every group in the last 16, there's 1 italian team present. There's a higher possibility for Italy than any other country to win the Champions League. 4/16 = 1/4 is their chance to win it. compared to other teams who only have what? 3/16? 2/16?
    Italy have Juve, Inter, Milan and Roma

Spain have Real madrid, Deportivo, Barceloan and Valencia

Now that is 4 teams each or am i missing something here?

OP
    Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #35
    Italy have Juve, Inter, Milan and Roma

Spain have Real madrid, Deportivo, Barceloan and Valencia

Now that is 4 teams each or am i missing something here?
    Take Depor out of equation, we sure to beat them at home.;) That makes them 3/16.:D.
    Oh, wait you can say that as well for Roma. Oh well, who cares?;)

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
    oh ya, i forgot that spain has 4 teams too.
    but take into consideration both roma and depor. true that they are the weakest link of their respective countries, but do they have a chance to still make it 2nd in their group and qualify for the next round?

i know there's the slightest chance that roma will even make it 2nd. but depor seems more respectable, and they appear capable of finishing behind juve. reactions? did i miss anythign?

Dorgz

Jan 9, 2003
    Serie A clubs are doing well in Europe this year coz I rang that Carraro guy and said I was sick to death of our dismal efforts over the last few years. He then put me through to Lippi, Carlo, Hector & Fabio (on conference call all together) and I expressed my views about the situation. I guess they must have listened? Now, if only Trap was at home when I called him...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)