Who is the most over-rated player in the world? (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++

I think Maldini is ageless, and very good, but he is not nearly as influential as Baeckenbauer was in his day.
You have got to be kidding me. Maldini is one of the greatest defenders to set foot on this earth. He might not have won as much as Beckenbauer, but Paolo has just as good if not better marking and tackling skills. The only part of the game Franz is better at is offensively, because he could also be used as a midfielder. But Maldini made defending an art and was probably a better defender than Beckenbauer. Same goes for Baresi.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Beckenbauer certainly remains one of the best defenders ever to have graced the game,but Maldini surely isn't far off.Where influence is concerned,he's captained Milan for a longer period than Franz did although you might contest that Maldini has done little with the Azzuri especially in the last decade of his career but he still is our most capped player of all time.As a player I haven't seen Beckenbauer alot at all but Maldini is a legend just as he is.He's stood the test of time better and instead of fading and dropping to the bench as defenders usually do at this age Paolo continually set the standard for defending both in Serie A and Europe.It's incredible already that he's managed not to get overshadowed by Nesta,Stam and Cafu.

So personally I'd place Maldini and Beckenbauer on a level playing field.Btw it's kind of unfair to compare the two as they play in different positions anyway,and it's far easier to be influential in a team when you play in the heart of defence often as a sweeper.Also don't forget that Maldini had to cope with the incredible pressure of living up to the standards of his dad Cesare,and he's succeeded where many others have failed eg. Jordi Cryuff,Bould,Barry Ferguson,Jamie Redknapp etc.

Jul 28, 2002
overated:

Ballack: was once imperious for Bayer , but imo a little too quiet for his apparant world status.

Kluivert: had potential, but lost it when he realised he had to work hard.

Owen: Will score, but wont do much else.

Beckham: Imo has the worlds best right foot, if he can be arsed to use it. offers little else if he isnt working hard.

Cassila: a very very lucky keeper.

--------------------------------------------------
Burke: U may think the epl sucks, but if u take the best epl team against the best bundes liga team, its clear the epl will win. PLus i do not understand your clear disliking to english players such as gerrard, when anybody who watchs and understands football will clearly see gerrard is a player of quality.

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Casillas is class, he was great against Athletico last night.
yeah i heard about that, i was hesitant to put him down, as clearly luck is a very important skill for a goalie. But imo he is the most overated goalie.......

actually, khan could fit in that catogary as well.....:dontcare:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
overated:

Ballack: was once imperious for Bayer , but imo a little too quiet for his apparant world status.

Kluivert: had potential, but lost it when he realised he had to work hard.

Owen: Will score, but wont do much else.

Beckham: Imo has the worlds best right foot, if he can be arsed to use it. offers little else if he isnt working hard.

Cassila: a very very lucky keeper.

--------------------------------------------------
Burke: U may think the epl sucks, but if u take the best epl team against the best bundes liga team, its clear the epl will win. PLus i do not understand your clear disliking to english players such as gerrard, when anybody who watchs and understands football will clearly see gerrard is a player of quality .
agreed one of the best players in the world IMO

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Casillas IMO is great indeed. He's been at the top since he was 18, played many CL finals, came off the bench to save Real from defeat in the CL final once (cant remember against who tho). He has great positioning and reflexes, he's excellent in shot stopping and one on ones, altho he could work on his handling a bit.

Sttill, a quality keeper tho, I rate him very highly, in the top 3 in the world.

As for the most underrated, I would have to go with Lampard. Sure, we all know he's a great player, but noone talks about him when it's award time. Everyone talks about Henry, or Rooney, or Gerrard, or Ruud, etc, but IMO Lampard is by far the best player playing in the Premiership.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Casillas IMO is great indeed. He's been at the top since he was 18, played many CL finals, came off the bench to save Real from defeat in the CL final once (cant remember against who tho ). He has great positioning and reflexes, he's excellent in shot stopping and one on ones, altho he could work on his handling a bit.

Sttill, a quality keeper tho, I rate him very highly, in the top 3 in the world.

As for the most underrated, I would have to go with Lampard. Sure, we all know he's a great player, but noone talks about him when it's award time. Everyone talks about Henry, or Rooney, or Gerrard, or Ruud, etc, but IMO Lampard is by far the best player playing in the Premiership.
Leverkusen.

i agree Lampard is rather underrated,to me he's the most consistent player in the EPL and the world now,he played all 38 matches of the league last season and still managed to pull out a great performance in the euro's,unlike Henry for example who played as much matches as Lampard but suffered very much due to fatigue in the euro's.

Jul 28, 2002
Imho, i like keeper to be a dominating force in the box, and imho cassila's isnt that.

But i will give him on thing, he is both lucky, but a very very good shot stopper.

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
Leverkusen.

i agree Lampard is rather underrated,to me he's the most consistent player in the EPL and the world now,he played all 38 matches of the league last season and still managed to pull out a great performance in the euro's,unlike Henry for example who played as much matches as Lampard but suffered very much due to fatigue in the euro's.
i agree, lampard is criminaly underated outside the epl. at chelsea he has moved out his father shadow and gone from average to topclass. He is to chelsea what neddy was to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)