Who created Hell? (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
You say "religion mentions it", but really what religious writings explicitly mention an existence of hell? Historically, hell was never mentioned in Christian teachings until the Middle Ages, when there was a need for money in the church and war in the Holy Land. I'm not sure about Islam, perhaps someone could enlighten me?
Hell is mentioned in Islam,pretty clearly.The whole conecept ot Satan etc.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #42
    Are you saying America is not a civilized country? :D
    Neither is Japan, by that standard. And yes, I am saying that. The fair way to judge a society is to see how it treats its own citizens. Civilized societies ban rape, torture, child abuse, murder and so on because they respect the dignity of human life. Banning the death penalty is one of those tests.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    That's exactly what's happening. God's world is heaven in this case, and god gives us the free will to choose our destinies here on earth. After this life, god will rid of the evil doers and reward the good.
    Of course. But where does it say that the punishment is hell?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Hell is mentioned in Islam,pretty clearly.The whole conecept ot Satan etc.
    In Koran? Or just in teachings, speeches, etc?

In the bible the only real mention of Satan comes in Revelations, referring to a beast that brings about the apocalypse.

Jun 13, 2007
    You say "religion mentions it", but really what religious writings explicitly mention an existence of hell? Historically, hell was never mentioned in Christian teachings until the Middle Ages, when there was a need for money in the church and war in the Holy Land. I'm not sure about Islam, perhaps someone could enlighten me?

If I am not mistaken, Hell is mentioned in two books. Mathews Gospel and Revelation. Here are the quotes.

"And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched" (Mark 9:45)

In a story Jesus tells, the man who is carried away into hell cries: ". . .I am tormented in this FLAME." Luke 16:24

Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:42

Jesus says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting EVERLASTING FIRE, prepared for the devil and his angels: . . ." [Note: hell was never originally prepared for people. However, because we have broken God's laws, God's justice now demands it.] Matthew 25:41

Revelation 20:15 says, " And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE.

Jesus says in Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of HELL FIRE.

Jesus says in Matthew 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into EVERLASTING FIRE.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of ETERNAL FIRE.

Revelation 14:10 says: "and he shall be tormented with FIRE and BRIMSTONE in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:"

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the LAKE which burneth with FIRE and BRMISTONE: which is the second death.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Neither is Japan, by that standard. And yes, I am saying that. The fair way to judge a society is to see how it treats its own citizens. Civilized societies ban rape, torture, child abuse, murder and so on because they respect the dignity of human life. Banning the death penalty is one of those tests.
    After all you've learned about the US on this forum. The standards of education and healthcare, general organization of government, and the death penalty. I see how it is difficult to come up with any other the assumption of an uncivilized society.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #48
    After all you've learned about the US on this forum. The standards of education and healthcare, general organization of government, and the death penalty. I see how it is difficult to come up with any other the assumption of an uncivilized society.
    The question of being civilized is not a yes or no question. Obviously, the US is civilized in many other ways, but the death penalty is a huge stain on your international reputation.

The fact that all the South American regimes that used to be under your thumb have gotten rid of if, and you as the imperial power still use it, that says a lot.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    If I am not mistaken, Hell is mentioned in two books. Mathews Gospel and Revelation. Here are the quotes.

"And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched" (Mark 9:45)

In a story Jesus tells, the man who is carried away into hell cries: ". . .I am tormented in this FLAME." Luke 16:24

Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:42

Jesus says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting EVERLASTING FIRE, prepared for the devil and his angels: . . ." [Note: hell was never originally prepared for people. However, because we have broken God's laws, God's justice now demands it.] Matthew 25:41

Revelation 20:15 says, " And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE.

Jesus says in Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of HELL FIRE.

Jesus says in Matthew 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into EVERLASTING FIRE.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of ETERNAL FIRE.

Revelation 14:10 says: "and he shall be tormented with FIRE and BRIMSTONE in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:"

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the LAKE which burneth with FIRE and BRMISTONE: which is the second death.
    Exactly. Where does it say the "everlasting fire" is hell? Other than once or twice.

Every mention of fire or brimstone does not equate to hell, but it does equate a punishment.

And in reference to the Old Testament text, all of the fire and brimstone tends to come from the sky. Brought about by angels, not devils.

The quote from Luke was a stretch.

I wish I had my N.S.R.V. on me so I could check for myself.

*Don't think I'm trying to belittle you guys or argue. Just playing the Devil's advocate. Oh what a pun!:D

Jun 13, 2007
    Come on Enron; forget your friends, the bible clearly idicates the existence of hell.

That's not up for discussion.:D

I will, however, give you the benefit of the doubt. Explain to me what you think my bible quotations mean.

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    Prisons are not there to punish people they are there for two purposes:

1- To teach those who made mistakes how to abide by the laws
    2- To isolate those who are dangerous to the society from the others.
    In english law, its stated rebtribution is one of prisons functions not to mention deterrence

Jun 13, 2007
    I obviously is. If it was just about rehabilitation, then why the locking up in the cell denying the prisoner the light of day? Prison is obviously a punishment. You don't have to sugar coat it by saying it's only purpose is to make people better citizens. Sure, that is true, but like Salman and Il Re said, it's also a form of retribution.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    The government created prisons to protect those of us willing to live by the rules of society.

Hell on the other hand cannot really be compared to a prison. Once you are dead how much of a danger are you do the living?

And to argue that Hell was created to protect those willing to "live" by the rules of heaven doesn't make sense either. Once one is allowed into heaven, whatever version you like, the theory would be that he is protected by it's walls. As that is his reward.
    You're looking at it the wrong way.

Prisons are not just intended for those that break laws but they also serve deterrents for people to not commit crimes. Hell works the same way.

Btw, what does hell really mean for people here?

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    You're looking at it the wrong way.

Prisons are not just intended for those that break laws but they also serve deterrents for people to not commit crimes. Hell works the same way.

Btw, what does hell really mean for people here?
    It's the restaurant in the movie 300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)