Where were you when...? (1 Viewer)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Some recent big events which when they happen people just stop to hear/see them and so obviously you all remember where you were when these things happened:

1. September 11
2. When Saddam was caught.
3. When France drew level against Italy in Euro 2000 with just a few seconds to go.
4. When Shevcenko scored the final penalty in the CL final.
5. Juve winning the last CL
6. Juve winning the Intercontinental Cup

These are my answers:

1. 3pm at work when a guy came running from upstairs asking us to turn the radio on cos America has been attacked.
2. Watching Boca-Milan and the words of Saddam's capture appearing at the bottom of the screen.
3. In Canada at my cousin's house. Everyone was anti-Italy and I was the only one who was celebrating before that goal.
4. On the third tier of Old Trafford Stadium North Stand all gloomy.
5. At a friend's house...3 anti-juve and 3 juve fans...we lost our voice by the end of the night :D
6. skiving college to be able to watch our team on top of the world!

If you have any other ideas put them up :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
1. I was working. It was around 3-4pm in the afternoon and someone said a plane has crashed into WTC. At first I thought it was just a small plane but then I saw a picture on the net and understood what it was.

2. I was actually sitting in front of the computer and was on juventuz.com. I think it was 11am.

3. In front of the tv looking at the game

4. At my cousins house watching the game. I was feeling empty the whole game so I knew he was gonna score.

5 & 6. Don't remember

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Nice thread Glenn :)

1. September 11

I was on the computer playing Yahoo Pool with a friend, when he said "hey, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center! I thought he was joking, because he then said that a plane crashed into the Pentagon. He told me to go and watch TV, and i stayed up all night watching the coverage.

I was in Thailand on a mission trip, and the team were all practising our dances when our pastor came running up the stairs to our room holding a newspaper. We all gathered around and saw the pictures, and my pastor was really excited because he grew up in the States. I also noticed the headline saying "Zidane is the World Player of the Year" :down:

3. When France drew level against Italy in Euro 2000 with just a few seconds to go.

I was sitting in my friend's living room watching with my mates. Half of us were going for Italy, and the other half were supporting France. The whole room went nuts.

I was sitting in front of my TV with my laptop, talking about the match on the forums :touched:

I was in ignorance, not even a football fan :down::embarass:

I think I was out at the time, because it was during my holidays

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
1. September 11

I was watching CNN's World Sport when the programme was interrupted for an alledged fire in one of the two Twin Towers. I remember thinking "What? You interrupt my Sports programme for a mere fire? Get lost already!" Then I witnessed the second plane flying into the other tower and knew war was on it's way. I followed coverage closely for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

'T was on a Sunday afternoon. I woke up at about 1pm (hey, it was a sunday) and switched on the television to watch BBC World. They reported it and again I stuck to the box.

I was actually IN France at that moment - cheering as hell because I was supporting the French back then. Don't get me wrong, I like Gli Azzurri but they had just eliminated my country (Holland) and I hated their guts at that point in time.

Was watching it with my dad. Knew he was going to score. He just had that look in his eyes saying "Can I go? Can I go make myself immortal?"

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

I have another one (maybe very European but still):

Where were you when NATO mobilised and went to war against Milosevic's Yugoslavia?

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Where were you when NATO mobilised and went to war against Milosevic's Yugoslavia?
I don't remember where I was.

Here's another one:

Where were you when USA invaded Iraq the first time under George Bush Sr?

When Princess Diana died?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'll answer the first three.

#1) September 11

I was at work, and i had the "Howard Stern Show" playing on the radio, and he was interviewing William Shatner, I belive. All of a sudden, Gary, howard's producer, interrupted Howard and said that Hank the Cabbie was on the phone and it was urgent. So, Howard, sarcastically asked Hank,"What is it now, Hank", and hank had told him that he was near the WTC and that a plane had hit the first tower. Howard said he was joking, and not to joke about that. And Hank's exact words were "Howard, I've yanked your chain many times, but I am not Fukking bullshitting you here, I just saw it happen!!!" There was silence for about 10 seconds, and then Howard saw the TV screen and said "Oh My God." I went to my boss to tell her that the WTC had been hit, and we went to find a TV. In a matter of minutes there were about 80 people in the main lobby of our building, just in shock, surrounding a large screen TV, as we saw everything unfold. I called my wife at work to tell her what had happened, and as soon as I got of the phone, my cell rang, and it was a friend of mine who I used to work with, telling me that a mutual friend of ours who used to work on wall street was now working at an investment firm in the WTC. I just had tears coming down at that point, but luckily, he had called in sick that day. Myself, and a couple of other people , upon seeing both towers go down and hearing the requests for medical supplies, had gone around the building and collected 500.00 dollars, so then myself and a friend went to 5 CVS stores and bought as much gauze, frist aid kits, bandages, antiseptics etc.. that we could find. A few of us also gave blood at the local center, as well. I will never forget that day as long as I live. You would think that after about 4 or 5 months the pain would go away. Then, at the opening of the Winter Olympics in Utah, when they brought out the flag from the WTC, you realize you can never get over it.

#2) I was watching RAI International, I forget which match it was, when they broke the news during the pre-game show. I chuckled a little, told my wife that Saddam had been captured, and said to the TV "OK, George W, now how about those WMD you've been talking about??":)

#3) I was working, and unfortunately, the only access I had was to a live ticker that was presented by ESPN. They were talking aobut how great a win it will be for Italy, yada yada yada, so I decided to go outside and have a cigarette, confident in knowing that Italy had brought home the trophy. i get back inside, and I see 1-1. I just slumped in my chair, and couldn't believe it. 'll never forget the commentary that was on my screen. "While Italy was standing around celebrating, they seemed to have forgotten that soccer is a 90 minute game". Ugghhh..........................

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Where were you when USA invaded Iraq the first time under George Bush Sr?

I was at the local library when i saw it on the news

I had guests over at my place. The kids were playing Monopoly when my friend's sister walked in and told us. We were like :wth:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
1) Right here, I was one of the first people who posted about it. The thread later turned into a major flamewar and got a couple of people banned, that's also when we decided the forum needed written rules.

2) When was that again?

3) At a "soccer" camp in Poland. The camp really sucked but the semifinals and final I saw while there were outstanding.

4) Glued to the computer screen watching the game in my student dorm.

5) Watching teletext on NRK, the game was on tape delay which I taped and saw the following day. Ah those were the days...

6) Don't recall.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stupendous Man ] ++

I chuckled a little, told my wife that Saddam had been captured, and said to the TV "OK, George W
That's an interesting name for a TV

:p

#3) "While Italy was standing around celebrating, they seemed to have forgotten that soccer is a 90 minute game". Ugghhh..........................
And 2 years on, they hadn't learnt their lesson :D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Some recent big events which when they happen people just stop to hear/see them and so obviously you all remember where you were when these things happened:

1. September 11
1. In school. When I came home I was like "What the fvck is going on???" :wth:
2. Online. I knew he was caught before they announced it on the news.
3. Watching the game :rolleyes: Dumbass :p
4. Wathcing the game :rolleyes: Dumbass :p
5. I dont remember, I was somewhere in Sweden
6. I dont remember, I was somewhere in Sweden

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

In Satrajevo watching the news. My mom was actually in Belgrade during the final days of the attack, she was pregnant and had gone to do some tests there.

Here's another question for you:

Where were you when Yugoslavia attacked Bosnia, and killed almost 200.000 people during a 3 year war?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++

3. Watching the game :rolleyes: Dumbass :p
4. Wathcing the game :rolleyes: Dumbass :p
He asked where you were, not what u were doing, dumbass :rolleyes:. Furthermore, you could've copied and pasted what you typed instead of giving your inefficiency away with a typo... dumbass :p

++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Where were you when Yugoslavia attacked Bosnia, and killed almost 200.000 people during a 3 year war?
Sydney

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
1. September 11
1. i just woke up, turned on the radio.....and heard the news. i was like WTF???!! is this s joke...! but when i saw TV news, i knew it wasnt :down:

2. errmm, didnt even realize he'd been caught until a day l8r :p

3. cant remember

4. in front of the TV, i cried almost instantly :down: :down:

5. ghee, when was that.....??? :p

6. i have no idea

i was at home, shocked....really shocked. i saw it on the news, and my heart weapt for bosnians.....

i was chillin' with some frens, heard it thru the radio. we thot it was a minor accident......but then only we found out she died :down:

Srecka

Jan 22, 2004
1. September 11-----sleeping
2. When Saddam was caught.-----study
3. When France drew level against Italy in Euro 2000 with just a few seconds to go.-----?
4. When Shevcenko scored the final penalty in the CL final.-----crying
5. Juve winning the last CL-----?
6. Juve winning the Intercontinental Cup-----?

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
1. September 11
Hawaii. That day we woke up earlier (6am there, like at 10am ET) to go water snorkeling and while we were driving to the site, being a radio freak that I am, I started changing all the stations looking for some music but none of them had because they were talking about what happened, so I started listening to one and found out that the two towers already were down and that some hijackers had crashed some planes. We were freaked out, because that day we were leaving to Honolulu and the day after to Venezuela. We had to delay out trip one week and stay in Maui. Everything was closed. All we did was watch CNN
At the beach, just waking up someone called me and told me that. I was like I bet youre still drunk! but then some people went to their apartment and saw the TV, and in fact it was true.
Sitting in the couch watching the game, thinking that in a few minutes it would be over. When they scored the goal, I screamed and was very shocked.
In the chair that Im sitting in right now, I closed my eyes and then smashed the table
I was like eight years back then, so I dont really remember, but I remember seeing pictures in the newspaper and segments of the game on the TV
I dont remember.

Watching the TV, and a special announcent came on, they said she had been in a car accident and that she was in the hospital. I went to sleep and the next morning found out that she died.

survivor

Dec 29, 2002
1. September 11

Where am I??

1. At home around 9pm. I just clicked my tv remote to CNN channel and saw heavy smoke from one tower and thought that it was an accident until another plane hit the other tower when I realized that this was an attack. I followed the news until the 2 towers collapsed. I felt very sad indeed especially when thinking that how many innocent lives were destroyed. I was lucky though that I've been there a few years ago.

2. In bed sleeping maybe. I knew it from the next morning newspaper.

3. At my friend's house. Actually, it was my friend's birthday party, but we watched the match on TV. What I felt about the match?? I was too drunk to feel sad.

4. Watching the match all alone in my bedroom as the match came at about 2am my time.Soon as the ball hit the net, I swithched the TV off. I couldn't stand seeing milan players and fans celebrated.

5-6. Sorry I haven't yet supported Juve. I don't think I watched the match and have no idea where am I at that time.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by survivor ] ++
Soon as the ball hit the net, I swithched the TV off. I couldn't stand seeing milan players and fans celebrated.
me too.....:down: i stayed away from watching news on TV (the sports coverage) and didnt buy newspapers for days.....

venom

Oct 22, 2003
1. September 11
Military service, "deep" in the forests of SE Finland.
Probably at home.
At home. Recalling swapping SMS's consisting only cusswords with my friend.
At my parents' home throwing up and _almost_ crying (yup, I'm that tough bloke, and that throwing up-part b/c of alcohol)
At home.
At school I guess.

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
1. September 11 : In the cinema watching Tomb Raider
2. When Saddam was caught.: Home, watching TV
3. When France drew level against Italy in Euro 2000 with just a few seconds to go.: Watching the match at home
4. When Shevcenko scored the final penalty in the CL final. :Watching the match at home
5. Juve winning the last CL: Can't remember, but as it was in 1996, I must have be at home and learnt for my final exams
6. Juve winning the Intercontinental Cup: no idea

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
1. September 11
1. I was at home having my breakfast.. i thought it was a movie at the bigenning, but shortly i knew it was for real..

2. in london..

3. & 4. in the cafe.. smoking sheesha.. and, then crying...
5. & 6. can't remember

ok, I have another question..

where were you when Baghdad fell?
when princess diana died?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)