Where are you guys? (4 Viewers)

dryatson

Feb 2, 2020
Sorry to dig out old topics, but I currently attend to Italian classes for beginners in my academic cursus (Italiano Elementare Uno, since January), due partially I was unable to get a place for a Spanish classes (I spent 3 years of Spanish in high school in my country in Africa), and because I fulfill the requirements of English in a Quebecer university, I was forced to choose another language class. For the 10 idioms remaining, Italian was an (what I though) easy choice considering my interest for Juventus and some similarities with latin lingua like French or Spanish.

Italian remains a lil' bit difficult for a novice (I have a gross understanding of what's said vocally but, surprisingly, I face some difficulties to understand what's written - contrary to what happened when I learned Spanish decades ago - , maybe is it related to the fact my ears are used lo listen to Juventus matches description in Italian since a long time ago ?And, of course, I can barely write more than 5-6 sentences correctly in italian - cannot yet do a full essay.

I would have appreciated to get access to all the topics on the cantina Italiana to help me to enhance my speaking and writing skills, but they are some technical issues on the web site - I know they last since 2011... I would really appreciate if something can be done to resolve this issue.

Anyway, I see some paradox about our team while discovering semantics and grammar structures, like why Juventus is spelled starting with "J" (I lungo) that's not part officially of the Italian alphabet ? Also why use "vecchia" signora when the word "Vecchio/vecchia" is supposed to be applied in objects and not humans ?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Sorry to dig out old topics, but I currently attend to Italian classes for beginners in my academic cursus (Italiano Elementare Uno, since January), due partially I was unable to get a place for a Spanish classes (I spent 3 years of Spanish in high school in my country in Africa), and because I fulfill the requirements of English in a Quebecer university, I was forced to choose another language class. For the 10 idioms remaining, Italian was an (what I though) easy choice considering my interest for Juventus and some similarities with latin lingua like French or Spanish.

Italian remains a lil' bit difficult for a novice (I have a gross understanding of what's said vocally but, surprisingly, I face some difficulties to understand what's written - contrary to what happened when I learned Spanish decades ago - , maybe is it related to the fact my ears are used lo listen to Juventus matches description in Italian since a long time ago ?And, of course, I can barely write more than 5-6 sentences correctly in italian - cannot yet do a full essay.

I would have appreciated to get access to all the topics on the cantina Italiana to help me to enhance my speaking and writing skills, but they are some technical issues on the web site - I know they last since 2011... I would really appreciate if something can be done to resolve this issue.

Anyway, I see some paradox about our team while discovering semantics and grammar structures, like why Juventus is spelled starting with "J" (I lungo) that's not part officially of the Italian alphabet ? Also why use "vecchia" signora when the word "Vecchio/vecchia" is supposed to be applied in objects and not humans ?
Here you go, all lessons available now:

https://www.juventuz.com/threads/lesson-index.33293/

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014

well Italians has really complex grammar compared to english and has many exceptions .

Juventus isn't a italian word it's from latin! in italian gioventù aka youthness

In fact there an old Juventus song which has a part that says "la gioventù di cui portiamo il nome"

from 1915!

Juventus, Juventus
la squadra dei grandi sei tu
che non tramonta più.

La gioventù di cui portiamo il nome
ci pulsa appien nei muscoli e nel cuor
sappiam goder ma pur sappiamo come
si debba oprar sui campi dell'onor.

Prima del dì della vecchiezza
del sacro ardore giovanil
vogliam goder vogliam goder tutta l'ebbrezza
in un radioso eterno april
vogliam goder vogliam goder tutta l'ebbrezza
in un radioso eterno april.

Juventus, Juventus
che non tramonta più.

Sovra il terren la palla vaga e balza
veglia il terzino e l'half ricaccia a vol
dalla tribuna un plauso al ciel s'innalza
quando l'avanti pronto segna il goal.

Scoccata è l'ora della gloria
urla di gioia anche il portier
hip hip hurrà hip hip hurrà per la vittoria
dei bianco ner dei bianco ner
hip hip hurrà hip hip hurrà per la vittoria
dei bianco ner dei bianco ner.

Juventus, Juventus
che non tramonta più.

Miei cari amici difendiam con gioia
i colori nostri e il gioco del foot-ball
i rammolliti fiacchi per la noia
ne dican pur tossendo tutto il mal.

Noi riderem di quei vecchioni
nel nome della gioventù
eternerem eternerem le tradizioni
del Club che non tramonta più
eternerem eternerem le tradizioni
del Club che non tramonta più!

which is a bit archaic italian so not so easly understood by whose not italian !

about the vecchio/vecchia ...
Well I'm not grammar expert myself so can't be a proper school teacher XD

But vecchia/vecchio can be used for people as well *_*

like vecchia donna = old woman
vecchio signore = old man

or for objects

vecchia sedia = old chair

and so on....

vecchia/vecchio can be used for literally anything from humans to objects and even non tangible stuff
like in italian we have a way to spell ex-girlfriends/boyfriends which is "vecchia fiamma"

literally old flame but in italian in this particular case fiamma which has something to do with fire is used to remember or quote an old extinguished

xD extinguished fire get it?
Sorry man I don't really remember grammar that much

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
@Valerio. "vecchia fiamma" is also prevalent in British English at least, as "old flame", i.e. an ex or someone you had a passionate relationship with.

Interesting to see how often the word is changed or vowel is dropped in this musical Italian, which I still see in part in some modern music, especially modern classical. Sometimes it works better as you often drop a syllable. It all still makes perfect sense to read and listen to.

Isn't dropping vowels more of a southern Italian thing? I notice it even on shows like The Sopranos and the like, Italian-Americans seem to love almost anglicising the language more by doing that, especially with food items. Words like capisc', calzon', prosciutt' etc.

At first I thought this might have been piemontese dialect but I don't think that's correct?

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
@Valerio. "vecchia fiamma" is also prevalent in British English at least, as "old flame", i.e. an ex or someone you had a passionate relationship with.

Interesting to see how often the word is changed or vowel is dropped in this musical Italian, which I still see in part in some modern music, especially modern classical. Sometimes it works better as you often drop a syllable. It all still makes perfect sense to read and listen to.

Isn't dropping vowels more of a southern Italian thing? I notice it even on shows like The Sopranos and the like, Italian-Americans seem to love almost anglicising the language more by doing that, especially with food items. Words like capisc', calzon', prosciutt' etc.

At first I thought this might have been piemontese dialect but I don't think that's correct?
well that's a napolitan thing elsewhere we do have vowels and so on.
Just typical of that zone of Italy which is Campania
But yeah over the years with mtv and americans tv shows italians took a lot and made new words or an excessive use of english words for no reason at all :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)